The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

If TLJ was nominated, then TROS will be nominated. TLJ wasn’t exactly well received either. Plus, it’s an excellent Williams score which has already been recognized since it made the short list.

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

If so, then Williams should then get a lifetime achievement Oscar instead.

Absolutely! I don’t know why the heck the Academy is dragging its feet on this. Irrespective of a nomination for TROS, this should already have happened years ago. A special Oscar of the Snow White/Toy Story variety would be justified if the SW saga were all he’d ever done. As it is, the lack of a lifetime achievement Oscar is a glaring oversight. 

12 minutes ago, Jar Jar said:

Hi Guys, can someone PM me regarding the lossless FYC album ? Thanks a lot :)

There's nothing to PM. It doesn't exist.

Hi, I have a technical question: Jay was so nice to provide me with the FYC tracks, and they play ok after import in iTunes (I am on MacOS Mojave). But when I transfer them to my iPad, each track cuts short and stops about 10 seconds before the end. Has anybody  an idea what might be the reason and how to prevent this? It is the only album I have this problem with!  Any help is appreciated

16 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Hi, I have a technical question: Jay was so nice to provide me with the FYC tracks, and they play ok after import in iTunes (I am on MacOS Mojave). But when I transfer them to my iPad, each track cuts short and stops about 10 seconds before the end. Has anybody  an idea what might be the reason and how to prevent this? It is the only album I have this problem with!  Any help is appreciated

OK , I think I solved it. Somehow those mp3s did not work well with the iPad (in contrast to all the other mp3s I have on it...), since converting the mp3 to aac and reimporting into iTunes resulted in flawless playback after reimporting on the iPad. Just mentioned this, in case somebody else has this problem. 

And concerning the topic: I agree with those who think that the FYC is inexplicable short and selective, and that Jays proposed playlist combining the OST and FYC works extremely well. Also, I think if you take the sequel trilogy as one massive soundtrack work, it is really a masterpiece and astounding for a composer of this age. 

I just updated the entry in the main post for the "editing required" version, it is much more accurate now and tells you where two Alternates are

Anyone hoping for the TROS FYC to show up on ebay might be out of luck.

The Force Awakens FYC albums were on ebay by Jan 2, 2016: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25940-the-force-awakens-for-your-consideration-fyc-album/&do=findComment&comment=1211180

The Last Jedi FYC albums were on ebay by Jan 2, 2018: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28085-the-last-jedi-for-your-consideration-fyc-album/&do=findComment&comment=1438620

Disney might simply no longer be pressing mailing out FYC albums any more. There are no Frozen 2 FYC albums on ebay either.

The TFA and TLJ FYC albums were on eBay long before the Oscar nominations were announced.  As you can see above they were both found on eBay by Jan 2 of their years, and the Oscar noms were announced on Jan 14 2016 and Jan 23 2018 respectively

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26013-john-williams-receives-50th-oscar-nomination-for-the-force-awakens/

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28195-john-williams-nominated-for-51st-oscar-for-the-last-jedi/

So Disney deciding whether or not to press physical FYCs onto plastic isn't really connected to whether or not they get nominated for the Oscars

the Golden globes list was released,   Often (but not always) the same as Academy Awards, and ROS is not in the list  

BUT for a complete score, i hope a release via a companion application at the bluray release (like TLJ)  

1 hour ago, D_A_R_T_H said:

the Golden globes list was released today, Often (but not always) the same as Academy Awards, and ROS is not in the list  

The Globes nominees were announced weeks ago. Neither TFA nor TLJ were nominated when they came out. It's entirely possible that, due to the late release of these SW films, the Globes didn't see any of them before they voted for nominations.

3 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

The Globes nominees were announced weeks ago. Neither TFA nor TLJ were nominated when they came out. It's entirely possible that, due to the late release of these SW films, the Globes didn't see any of them before they voted for nominations.

They indeed did not get to see the film before voting.

On 1/1/2020 at 2:46 PM, igger6 said:

Absolutely! I don’t know why the heck the Academy is dragging its feet on this. Irrespective of a nomination for TROS, this should already have happened years ago. A special Oscar of the Snow White/Toy Story variety would be justified if the SW saga were all he’d ever done. As it is, the lack of a lifetime achievement Oscar is a glaring oversight. 

It has always been kind of more of a makeup Oscar for deserving people who have never won or even been nominated, rather than luminaries like Williams who have always been generously recognized in their time. Spielberg, Scorsese, Coppola probably won’t get honorary Oscar statues, but I expect George Lucas and Brian DePalma will.

On 1/1/2020 at 3:46 PM, igger6 said:

I don't think a lot of films in a series qualifies you for a special achievement oscar. If that were the case multiple people from Star Wars would qualify and almost the entire cast and creative of MCU and Hugh Jackman and X-Men films would qualify.

32 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Well a guy like Kevin Feige would definitely qualify for the Irving Thalberg Award. 

100%

Feige's achievement on the MCU is not to be underestimated. What that man has achieved there is beyond imagination. You might disagree with the artistic merits of the MCU but film-making is also logistics and planning and what not, and what he has done on that front is unprecedented and skull-crushing.

Ha! You give him too much credit. What planning? Nothing about the MCU feels like it has a grand overarching plan or preparation. When I did a marathon of all the films last year, the only things I noticed bridging the films together were the lame post credits scenes and the films themselves were as hodgepodge as any other film in terms of quality. 

Whenever I hear talk of how well Thanos was planned, I just think 'how?' He's in a few cheesy post credit scenes and that's it.

7 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

100%

Feige's achievement on the MCU is not to be underestimated. What that man has achieved there is beyond imagination. You might disagree with the artistic merits of the MCU but film-making is also logistics and planning and what not, and what he has done on that front is unprecedented and skull-crushing.

It is definitely planned. The MacGuffins are distributed throughout the movies. The connections between the characters, the establishing of various locations and places. I don't like the movies anymore but I can appreciate the very large construct they pulled off here.

On 12/10/2019 at 12:11 PM, Jay said:

1. FYC 12 Off The Waterfront 1:03 (If you are feeling up to it, you can attempt to segue from the FYC's clean opening into OST 12B [2:21-end] instead)

Do you mean OST 4B instead of OST 12B?

On 1/6/2020 at 11:10 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

It is definitely planned. The MacGuffins are distributed throughout the movies. The connections between the characters, the establishing of various locations and places. I don't like the movies anymore but I can appreciate the very large construct they pulled off here.

I'm not denying there was any planning, but name-dropping, teasing planets, characters and other tiny references are just so-so. It's not like those details made any real consequence or had any impact on the story only to say 'Hey, remember that scene where Black Widow was talking to Hawkeye, if you look in the background the guy out of focus is someone who is the acquaintance of Nick Fury's adopted son, who turns out to be a spy for Thanos! *GASP*'

Random Q but are we in agreement that "Off the Waterfront" is a little wink by JW to Bernstein? I haven't seen that discussed (maybe I missed it) but it's the first thing I thought when I saw the title. 

1 minute ago, Will said:

Random Q but are we in agreement that "Off the Waterfront" is a little wink by JW to Bernstein? I haven't seen that discussed (maybe I missed it) but it's the first thing I thought when I saw the title. 

Almost certainly, I’d say.

Incidentally, the suite from ‘On the Waterfront’ was premiered at Tanglewood in summer 1981, so there’s a pretty good chance JW was there.

12 hours ago, Will said:

I thought it was a little win to Gia. JW can do cheap puns too!

On 1/6/2020 at 12:33 AM, Arpy said:

Whenever I hear talk of how well Thanos was planned, I just think 'how?' He's in a few cheesy post credit scenes and that's it.

This is true, Thanos has zero characterization before Infinity War.

At the risk of going through all 19 pages of this thread and not finding anything, does anybody know if someone has created album artwork for this FYC that is consistent with the prior two films? Like these:

image.png

image.png

Not sure who created these or what site they're originally from.