The Rise of Skywalker - For Your Consideration (FYC) Album Discussion

Jay

25 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Only just noticed this thread. What's the initial thoughts on the score? More of the same or true greatness?

I'll listen tonight after work.

If not true greatness, then only just a hair away from it.

Solium at FSM had this to say: 

It sounds “small” like a television score or lower budget film score. The over all soundscape is rather depressing and angst ridden. Reminds me of a horror score like Williams Dracula. I didn’t hear anything new that really grabs me. Some unimpressive references of previous themes and continued borrowing from The Rite of Spring.

The samples overall meander and drift about. Maybe longer cues if they exist will be more gripping. I didn’t hear anything bad, just nothing really stood out.

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=136440&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=7&r=139#bottom

???

Listening to this album again on my commutes last night and this morning, I have some random thoughts

-The action music is really strong

-This "album" feels more like a small assortment of cues (or portions of cues) than a "proper" album, even more so than the TFA and TLJ FYC albums, which at least had a beginning, middle, and end to them.  This feels like they had to bob and weave between cues that either featured old arrangements of themes or ended up getting heavily edited in the final cut.  Many of the tracks end in a way that is blatantly clear in the film itself they will instead immediately continue into more music, and the way some of these tracks start is clear they are separated from something that led directly into this "beginning"

-While there are certainly 4 or 5 or 6 new themes/motifs at play, I kinda feel like the big triumphant theme from Approaching The Throne, Rescue, and Farewell is the only one that will actually get a concert arrangement :(

-The end credits not appearing here at all make me think the actual end credits in the film will be entirely old arrangements re-recorded; Here's hoping before that decision was made, he wrote and recorded a new unique end credits arrangement and we'll get that on the OST

Am I correct in saying these are the old themes that appear on this album?

From Star Wars: Luke, Leia, Force, Rebel

From Empire Strikes Back: Vader

From Return of the Jedi: Emperor

From The Phantom Menace: none

From Attack of the Clones : none

From Revenge of the Sith: none

From The Force Awakens: Rey, Kylo, Poe, Resistance

From The Last Jedi: none

Approaching The Throne is a stunning cue.  Strong, driving, going through different themes in a way that makes it like we are definitely approaching something both internally and externally.  

Fantastic.

And Parents makes me weep yet again that John has never written an opera.

Well, its a bit disjointed and choppy, but that's to be expected for an FYC.  And I can't imagine that for the final end titles of the final SW film scored by Williams, there wouldn't be something really special involving many of the classic themes.  Time will tel.

I can't start Falcon Flight with a straight face now - I always picture a shouting Sheev shooting after the Falcon in space like Superman!

17 hours ago, Arpy said:

For an FYC they would've had to cut a majority of the Force/Luke/Vader themes, right? For qualifying? Like Scherzo for X-Wings in the TFA FYC removed most of the Luke statements.

They didn't remove his statements all those edits were just because thats how it appeared in the movie

Just now, JTWfan77 said:

I seem to remember there being lots of placement of older themes in the TLJ FYC, wonder why those weren't removed?

I wonder if, at least at the time, they were allowed to use old themes, but just not quoted from previous soundtracks verbatim.

Just now, Gistech said:

I wonder if, at least at the time, they were allowed to use old themes, but just not quoted from previous soundtracks verbatim.

You could be onto something.

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

User Spinmeister at the FSM Custom Cover Art thread posted a really nice custom for this FYC:

Screenshot_20191211-171805~2.png

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=132899&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=15&r=743#bottom

That is so much better than my screenshot of the logo from the FYC streaming page! Applied to my files. Thanks.

Just now, lairdo said:

That is so much better than my screenshot of the logo from the FYC streaming page! Applied to my files. Thanks.

Thanks for the thanks, but the real thanks go to Spinmeister!

14 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Thanks for the thanks, but the real thanks go to Spinmeister!

Well, thanks for posting here!

And I posted thanks there. 

Here, there, everywhere...

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Am I correct in saying these are the old themes that appear on this album?

From Star Wars: Luke, Leia, Force, Rebel

From Empire Strikes Back: Vader

From Return of the Jedi: Emperor

From The Phantom Menace: none

From Attack of the Clones : none

From Revenge of the Sith: none

From The Force Awakens: Rey, Kylo, Poe, Resistance

From The Last Jedi: none

There's an oblique reference to Luke and Leia in We Go Together.

57 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

There's an oblique reference to Luke and Leia in We Go Together.

Timestamp?

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Am I the only one who can't see "We Go Together" without thinking of the song from Grease?

At 0:42-0:44, I hear a bit from "Fawkes the Phoenix"

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Am I the only one who can't see "We Go Together" without thinking of the song from Grease?

I think about that classic 50s Marlon Brando movie when I see "Off the Waterfront" and Beatles with "Coming Together".

Actually, with that last one, I try not to think about some fanfics people are doing on the dark corners of the internet involving Rey and Kylo.

Just now, Edmilson said:

I think about that classic 50s Marlon Brando movie when I see "Off the Waterfront"

Well yeah that's obviously an explicit reference, probably the actual cue title as we've seen that Williams likes to do funny cue titles sometimes.