Your First Impression of TROS (Poll)

Fabulin

How do you feel about TROS? (right now)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about TROS? (right now)

2. 2. How good do you think it is compared to the other DT scores?

3. 3. Where do you think it will end in your Star Wars ranking (if you have one)

Overall, I'm not connecting with the music as I'm blind to the context it all sits within - but the magic is there, it just needs to be dug out with time. I think I'll wait until seeing the film to be positively sure on how it all fits.

Come on. This thread comes too soon, wait for the OST album and let it sink in for a while. I mean you even typed DT, that’s how hurried you were!

(And yes, I’m also buzzing with excitement! 😜

If it sounds this engaging in FYC form, imagine what it will sound like properly assembled into an album with concert pieces! Come to think of it, maybe that's why I'm enjoying it so much - there's no opening crawl. (neither does the TFA FYC, which is what's in my playlist instead of the OST)

And failing that, lots of film versions!

3 minutes ago, Remco said:

Come on. This thread comes too soon, wait for the OST album and let it sink in for a while. I mean you even typed DT, that’s how hurried you were!

(And yes, I’m also buzzing with excitement! 😜

1 minute ago, Bellosh said:

My mind is drawing a blank, but what does DT stand for?

DT is a rather routine way of referencing Disney Trilogy. Nothing special about the abbreviation.

It's 5 stars for me right now.

But I can NOT say that this FYC is better than The Force Awakens.

I do seem to like it more than The Last Jedi though.

It'll prob be this:

ESB

ROTJ

ANH

TFA

TROS*

ROTS

PM

TLJ

AOTC

*pending OST.  Could easily surpass TFA for me.

6 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

DT is a rather routine way of referencing Disney Trilogy. Nothing special about the abbreviation.

It's more commonly referred to as the 'ST' for Sequel Trilogy. Unless Mickey Mouse is the Emperor and Peter Pan is a Resistance Fighter?

9 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It's more commonly referred to as the 'ST' for Sequel Trilogy. Unless Mickey Mouse is the Emperor and Peter Pan is a Resistance Fighter?

We all corporate to our overlord bows. Mouse the hail; mouse the hail. And long live the use of flavoured synonyms.

5 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

This is the worst introduction to a Star Wars score EVER. Disney fucked up. 

Didn't the same thing happen with one of the Hobbit scores and it was quickly taken down? Desolation of Smaug, I think...

It was the first one.

As for TROS, I'd say I'd probably rank it 8th, just ahead of TLJ. Only the final few cues have made much of an impression on me though.

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Didn't the same thing happen with one of the Hobbit scores and it was quickly taken down? Desolation of Smaug, I think...

I'm sorry, did Bilbo Baggins wield a damn light saber? 

10 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

"Hey John, about that last score of yours for Star Wars. You know, the culmination of 43 years of work. We're just gonna toss it out in low quality scraps. Enjoy your retirement!" 

I guess it serves him right for stealing this from GiawouldhavesuckedatStarwarsAnyway.

38 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

8 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

"Hey John, about that last score of yours for Star Wars. We're just gonna toss it out in low quality scraps. Enjoy your retirement!" 

Are you ok? You sound as if you received a punch to the face, not 50 minutes of new John Williams music

4 minutes ago, Kylo Ren said:

TFA and TLJ took me time to unpack. This is instant, unconditional adoration. It's just gorgeous. I haven't heard anything like this from him in a long time.

Welcome to the forums, buddy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope you'll stick around and continue to join in with the discussion once the soundtrack drops. We're in the endgame now!

3 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Welcome to the forums, buddy! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hope you'll stick around and continue to join in with the discussion once the soundtrack drops. We're in the endgame now!

Thank you, my pleasure :)

You won't be rid of me until I get an expanded release for every Star Wars score

51 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Yea, but at least that was the proper album presentation that was leaked.

These scraps probably don't do the original presentation much justice.

28 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Are you ok? You sound as if you received a punch to the face, not 50 minutes of new John Williams music

A gourmet meal served next to a sewer is a crappy meal.

50 minutes ago, KK said:

Yea, but at least that was the proper album presentation that was leaked.

These scraps probably don't do the original presentation much justice.

I wonder if when the OST is out, the FYC might be more favorable? Who can say right now anyhow?

we'll be combining the 2 of them on day 1 and never listen to the OST or FYC ever again

And we already know several kickass versions of the Farewell theme will be unreleased 

As fun as it is to listen to the FYC album, a collection of out of context snippets of music really doesn't tell me anything about the identify or musical narrative of the score. I am very impatient to listen to the Main Titles and be drawn into a new JW SW OST.

I feel like some people could be in for a rough surprise. 

This is almost an hour of actual soundtrack, presented to the Academy for Oscar consideration, and people act like it's 30 second samples and you can't tell anything from it. 

"It's random underscore that has nothing to do with the OST". What? 

I know King Mark doesn't realize it, but when you say "it feels like listening to extended itunes samples" about 50 minutes of John Williams Star Wars music, it's not exactly a great compliment on the music. 

There will be an end credit suite and probably a theme suite added to the OST, but even with that, I feel generally unimpressed with what I'm hearing. 

The music is out of context, but please be honest, when did you really need movie context to enjoy major parts of the first six scores? 

Or any great Williams score for that matter? 

6 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

You should know, @gkgyver, that what really matters, are audio fidelity, number of edits, and album presentation. Based on 50 minutes of our idol's music no opinions can yet be formed.

You're right, sorry. The better crispness of the timpani will outweigh the anonymous nature of many cues. 

3 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

I do not share your negative appraisal of the situation. The score so far is quite rewarding for me.

It's not meant to be negative. I will surely listen to the soundtrack on a loop. But after the first two sequels, I've adjusted my expectations, and it seems many can't really do that, and right now are in kind of a state of refusal to believe that TROS is most likely not too different from the previous two, in that it will have its moments, but will otherwise be, let's say, congruent with JW's age.