Your First Impression of TROS (Poll)

Fabulin

How do you feel about TROS? (right now)  

62 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about TROS? (right now)

2. 2. How good do you think it is compared to the other DT scores?

3. 3. Where do you think it will end in your Star Wars ranking (if you have one)

1 minute ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

I've also adjusted mine, and was pleasantly surprised by Williams' boldness to really go for something that I hear as quite personal.

He definitely went for some of the dirge or adagio writing that made ROTS stand apart from the other two prequels. And that, quite frankly, saved ROTS. 

1 minute ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

I went away from the computer for a second and started thinking what to say next, and I also thought "this score is like a big adagio". XD

Do we have a Force bond?

I hope not. I could do without sharing your nightmares.

3 Stars

Worst

7th

As others have mentioned, it's very hard to rate the score on the FYC. We simply don't know what's missing from the full presentation. For example: If the official soundtrack release is largely the same (albeit with tracks that aren't edited), I'll be disappointed. On the flip side, if the FYC contains a lot of moments not included in the OST, and the latter includes a rich presentation of the newer themes and those lovely, epic battle tracks...I'll be pleased as punch. Right now, I'm enjoying what I'm hearing with that caveat. It's my least favorite of the sequel scores ATM, but I definitely enjoy it more than AOTC and I predict I'll enjoy it more than TFA once the OST is out.

27 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Not even 'Farewell' (track 22) ?

I'd have to listen again, but the new theme in there is something I could hear in War Horse rather than Star Wars. 

On 12/14/2019 at 2:52 PM, gkgyver said:

I'd have to listen again, but the new theme in there is something I could hear in War Horse rather than Star Wars. 

That is the big reveal.  The same horse from War Horse is used by the new character Jannah.  

I have a feeling it’s going to be my favourite sequel trilogy score.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:52 PM, gkgyver said:

Star wars movies are not what they used to be.

2 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

I have a feeling it’s going to be my favourite sequel trilogy score.

Star wars movies are not what they used to be.

That's for damn sure. 

Right now, I place it above TLJ but still below TFA. The introduction of the excellent new themes in TFA (especially Rey’s) can’t be beat. My opinion could change when I see the film tomorrow.

It's the least of the sequels for me, but that's not a knock on TROS—I just like TFA and TLJ that much. It's an easy 5-star score for me based on the quality of the writing. But it's true there's not much in the way of major set pieces like The Resistance, The Spark or Holdo's Sacrifice. I'd give TLJ the edge in terms of thematic material too, especially if you consider The Rise of Skywalker theme to be an Anakin's theme–esque development of Rey's theme. Based on the early reviews of the film, though, I'd expect that this is more a reflection of the limitations of the film's approach.

But I'm one of those people whose least favorite Star Wars score is A New Hope.