Which music you absolutely can't stand?

Edmilson

Dancing Queen is awesome.

I hate jazzy 70s kind of music - sort of like some of the stuff JW was writing for those disaster movies (some of the samples from LLL's box really didn't gel well with me).

And what I suspect is R&B - music you hear in clubs that seems to rely purely on having as much bass as possible such that you can't make out any melody. I was on a 'party bus' on holiday (nowhere near as 'party-like' as it sounds), and while the second half was 90s Brit hits, the first half was some of the most boring bass-heavy crap I've ever hear. I frequently exchanged 'what the f**k is this?' looks with my fellow travellers.

33 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Oh, Christ, it's already a meme, what have I done... :lol2:

Edmilson.

If you change your mind?

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

...whatever is teenage girls listen to these days...

I know what teenage girls don't listen to, these days...their parents. Also, and after spending several hours per week in their company, most of them have got a potty mouth. Still, I enjoy working with them.

I used to love modern jazz (RETURN TO FOREVER; WEATHER REPORT, that sort of thing). Now, it's just noise.

DANCING QUEEN might just be the most turgid piece of trash that ABBA ever wrote...but you've gotta admit; it's catchy. Now, if someone wants to post CRACKING UP..? :)

9 hours ago, Ricard said:

Reggaeton.

Indeed. I think it's actually impossible to write a good Reggaeton song. If somebody acomplishes it, I will brand that person a musical genius.

And @Edmilson, as you probably know, we get a lot of Brazilian pop music here in Portugal. And stuff like Mafiosa, or Poderosa, ou Eu Quero Tchu, Eu Quero Tchan are as bad as music gets

The catch-22 with this question is always that whatever music I happen to overhear and not like, I just avoid. So it's not like I have an informed opinion about any of it, I just ignore it.

There are the usual genres that nerds like me dismiss out of hand. Death metal is the one that I really did try to get into, downloaded playlists over the years and could just never figure out how to even begin to listen to it. Also like, the more antagonistic side of experimental music I've heard.

The sort of poppy, radio-friendly country music isn't something I go out of my way to listen to but I'll hear things I enjoy. A guy doing Phil Vassar's "Bobbi With an I" at karaoke, Carrie Underwood's "All-American Girl" in the Cracker Barrel gift shop, some of that shit's fun.  And I wanna smack teenage me upside the head for typically answering rap and hip-hop to this question without hardly listening to any of it. Once I gave it an actual chance and did even the barest minimum of surface listening it was absurdly easy to find favorites, and not just "old school". DAMN is great.

And all that said I'll party to literally anything with the right people.

13 hours ago, Holko said:

Same, plus whiny "i won't even open my mouth" contemporary pop.

Is this the shit I hear in commercials now?  Covers of 90s hits sung by a woman who sounds like she's contorting her mouth into weird shapes?

Much of today's hit stuff bores me because of a lack of melody. It's a shame how much pop music has regressed from the tuneful '70s-'90s. I personally can't stand Taylor Swift and will happily have nothing to do with her music ever. Elsewhere, I've never been able to get into Radiohead or Tool, but that's just me and not anything to do with their talent. And I find a great deal of the salon/instrumental music of Mozart and other Classical-era composers to be dreadfully predictable and boring.

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I used to love modern jazz (RETURN TO FOREVER; WEATHER REPORT, that sort of thing). Now, it's just noise.

We're getting too old for technical self-indulgence, Richard. Just give me a simple Ringo Star beat and I'm happy.

"Dancing Queen" is a fine piece of pop carpentry, but obviously overplayed over the years. Play, instead, their moody, mature masterpiece album THE VISITORS - which was also their final album as a band before Björn and Benny moved on to CHESS.

I just remembered another one I dislike -- the extreme variants of free-tonal jazz. I mean, I can go pretty far (just attended a wonderful concert of Komeda improvisations a few weeks ago, for example), but there is a point where it just becomes grating.

I mostly listen to film music .I have so much I have like a lifetime of listening

I can't stand rap (noise to me)  and electric guitar and battery (drums) are 2 instruments I don't like that constitute the basis of most pop music and rock so I don't listen to that actively

Jazz is ok, classical sometimes but I only like a few select pieces

12 hours ago, Romão said:

And stuff like Mafiosa, or Poderosa, ou Eu Quero Tchu, Eu Quero Tchan are as bad as music gets

Yeah, I can imagine :( . There was that Michel Teló song from almost a decade ago that became viral, and probably our English-speaking friends here know it too:

But the stuff you mentioned, Anitta's Show das Poderosas, Eu quero Tchu, Eu Quero Tchá, these are from 2012, 2013. Believe me, things today are much, much worse.

16 hours ago, Romão said:

Indeed. I think it's actually impossible to write a good Reggaeton song. If somebody acomplishes it, I will brand that person a musical genius

Can I join the club?

Atrocious music. And at the same time it gets into your head.

In Utero was my favorite non-score album as a kid. There wasn't a cooler band than Nirvana. I even had their first record, which Kurt rather pretentiously pointed out most people didn't own at the start of the Unplugged show, which I watched the night it aired.

After they ended, I never really latched on to much popular or unpopular music. A few bands here and there, but it was mostly all about the OSTs. There was never a band as cool as them or a frontman as legendary ever again.

Music is terrible now.

Anything used in advertising. Fuck that shit. Lame ass pop or rock/techno shit that was probably good at one point, but now lives on to sell shit on TV and YouTube. Even genuinely good music is degraded by being associated with a car or a cat, or a drink, or some piece of crap.

Did I mention I hate ads and if I were gifted the world's only time machine, I would go back in time and murder the marketing and advertising employees?

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

So no matter how good the music is, if it's used for an ad, it makes the music bad? Hmm... interesting.

Does anybody remember that awful version of MAD WORLD, a few years back? Gobshite!

I take Arpy's point: using a perfectly good song to advertise fucking bog roll is a crime against humanity, and demeans the song.

In that same line of thinking, a bad movie can never have a great score. I'm really learning a lot today, guys! 

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does anybody remember that awful version of MAD WORLD, a few years back? Gobshite!

I take Arpy's point: using a perfectly good song to advertise fucking bog roll is a crime against humanity, and demeans the song.

That makes 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' the worst written piece of music ever.

12 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

In Utero was my favorite non-score album as a kid. There wasn't a cooler band than Nirvana. I even had their first record, which Kurt rather pretentiously pointed out most people didn't own at the start of the Unplugged show, which I watched the night it aired.

After they ended, I never really latched on to much popular or unpopular music. A few bands here and there, but it was mostly all about the OSTs. There was never a band as cool as them or a frontman as legendary ever again.

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

That makes 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' the worst written piece of music ever.

Hellooooooooo!

Arpy said

10 hours ago, Arpy said:

Anything used in advertising. Fuck that shit.

and not "a superlative piece of classical music, used in a seminal film".

Does ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA advertise shit sheets? I think not.

On 12/14/2019 at 8:05 AM, Arpy said:

Did I mention I hate ads and if I were gifted the world's only time machine, I would go back in time and murder the marketing and advertising employees?

If you someday come visit my city, please tell me in advance so I can hire private security. :( 

Also: is this music a classic from the 80s? It's awful!

On 12/14/2019 at 12:05 PM, Arpy said:

You don't have to go back in time to do that.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

...is this music a classic from the 80s? It's awful!

What are you talking about, dude?! TORCH is a great song. It's my equal favourite Soft Cell song (along with BEDSITTER, WHAT? and SAY HELLO WAVE GOODBYE).

Anything in the charts. 

When the vast majority of the population raves about a certain song or music, chances are I hate it. 

Like Cardi B. What the fuck even is that? 

On 12/14/2019 at 1:13 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of the sampled trumpet hook in the original, but come on, the reimagining wasn't that bad. I liked it at the time; plus it's rare that a cover version takes a song and makes it into something so radically different (even if it was a bit emo). 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of the sampled trumpet hook in the original, but come on, the reimagining wasn't that bad. I liked it at the time; plus it's rare that a cover version takes a song and makes it into something so radically different (even if it was a bit emo). 

Is that the Donnie Darko version you're talking about?

This version is great! I think it's really beautiful and touching, although today it became more of an internet meme for music for sad, depressed people (like Sound of Silence).

I'll broadly call it 'dance' music. Beats thump mindlessly while computers fart out a 'tune' and some usually never-heard-of-again singer intones banal-as-fuck lyrics over it all (if you're REALLY *lucky*, it's the same one or two lines repeated ad infinitum). 

Hateful shite. No wonder people take drugs to it, makes it seem bearable.      

Rap and hip-hop music. I truly don't understand how someone could wake up in the morning and listen to it and feel anything but extremely aggravated. If you never want to see me again, play some of this music!

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

My gosh, this song is insufferable. And that part with the strings on the middle, argh...

You really should visit my local supermarket (Delhaize), you haven't heard anything yet. 

On 12/14/2019 at 10:07 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

After they ended, I never really latched on to much popular book of ra strategie. A few bands here and there, but it was mostly all about the OSTs. There was never a band as cool as them or a frontman as legendary ever again.

Music is terrible now.

My thoughts exactly!

On 12/12/2019 at 10:01 AM, Edmilson said:

I can't stand this one either, but I find its lyrics funny. It says something like "I've got no roots but my home", and I for some reason understood it as "I've got no use for my balls", and since the singer is a woman, it all made everything more WTF.

“No Roots” is great! Been listening to it a lot recently, funnily enough. 

On 12/12/2019 at 11:01 AM, Disco Stu said:

I love late 80s/early-to-mid 90s hip hop from A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Gang Starr/Guru, MC Solaar, Fugees/Lauryn Hill.  More recent hip hop in the style of, like, Drake I find very distasteful.

I like De La Soul too, but being a 90s/00s kid, the hip-hop I like is mainly classics like this: 

On 12/12/2019 at 1:22 PM, mstrox said:

I find things to like in most genres of music, but the closest genre I have to a no-go is death metal where the singer does the lyrics in that deep guttural, tuneless scream

This is what I would typically agree with, but then I discover something like this, and I absolutely love it. 

So ultimately for me, I will give anything a shot. I used to be very close-minded to what I liked in high school and early college. Once I opened up to trying out new things I discovered countless great songs, albums, and artists that bring me joy!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, Christ, this piano, this whiny voice, the melodramatic music, argh... Not only this song is insufferable, but it also doesn't leave your head for days, no matter what you try.