Which music you absolutely can't stand?

Edmilson

10 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If it's not film music (or some classical music), I generally find it annoying. I can occasionally tolerate groups like Queen for example.

Sounds like you're missing a shit ton of good stuff.

11 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I don't really miss out, considering I'm constantly hearing the people around me listening to all different types of music. I just hate all of it lol.

47 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't really miss out, considering I'm constantly hearing the people around me listening to all different types of music. I just hate all of it lol.

I really don’t understand this. It seems to be common amongst film music listeners. How can there be nothing else that releases dopamine in your brain?

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I really don’t understand this. It seems to be common amongst film music listeners. How can there be nothing else that releases dopamine in your brain?

Long before I discovered film music, I was heavy into classic rock. Now I can't stand it. On top of that, pretty much anything with singing (except for choir) makes me cringe for some reason. I just find it intolerable, I don't know why.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

A good friend loves Morricone esp. FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE... but isn't into rock music, not even BEATLES!.

Go figger.

It's also illogical, since film music as a whole is just a melting pot of a bunch of other genres and forms anyway.

23 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

People change, Jerry, over time, and so do their tastes.

I used to love modern jazz (Weather Report, Return To Forever, etc.), but now I think it's noise.

It's probably nothing more than musicians showing off anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

People change, Jerry, over time, and so do their tastes.

I used to love modern jazz (Weather Report, Return To Forever, etc.), but now I think it's noise.

Funny you say that, but it's the "noise" factor that motivates me to keep the ABC Jazz digital radio station omnipresent in my house, because of its ability to play as light mood-lifting background noise. That said, much of it rather sounds the same to me, so I could never tell you who wrote or performed what or when it was recorded. I just like its presence.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

So you agree that out of the pantheon of all music in the history of the world, the only thing that stimulates your complex noggin is film music?

Sounds miserable. 

3 hours ago, KK said:

It's also illogical, since film music as a whole is just a melting pot of a bunch of other genres and forms anyway.

I know people will find some of the opinions in this thread strange or *gasp* intolerable, but as a reflection of the nature of musical tastes outside this forum, (in the real world) I've encountered a variety of people who all have different tastes. It's not strange to encounter people who happen to like popular music, rock music, as these are just the more mainstream tastes. Finding people who listen to film music is more challenging, because for the most part it's not even considered a tasteful form of music, let alone a genre unto its own.

Part of my fascination and enjoyment with film music stems from the very same melting pot of genres and styles like @KK mentioned above that it means you can get a taste of a range of genres; I was introduced to jazz through film music and other genres I would've found intolerable separated before. This doesn't lessen my view of film music, it only enhances it as a legitimate form of music that people are capable of enjoying.

This gets to the heart of this issue of taste: you can't choose what you like. You can't choose the music that appeals to you anymore than you can choose the colour of your eyes. If @Manakin Skywalker only likes film music, then it's a series of psychological factors that have lead him to finding that music more to his taste than other forms. As @Naïve Old Fart says, peoples tastes can and do change, maybe one day Manakin will despise film music, who knows?

On 7/19/2020 at 5:30 PM, Brundlefly said:

That's the futility of this argument, some people will enjoy it, others will find it distasteful. Who are we to say what's good and what's shit?

22 hours ago, Arpy said:

That's the futility of this argument, some people will enjoy it, others will find it distasteful. Who are we to say what's good and what's shit?

"Everything is subjective bla bla bla..."

Always a good way to choke a discussion and to legitimize even the weirdest statements.

Ah whatever, I've seen enough of these threads and discussions to know they all end the same way. In a way, it's your way of legitimizing shitting on other people for their musical tastes.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

It's torture to sit in a car with someone who wants to play the mainstream stations up and down. I don't know how they can take it. It's hypnosis. At some point, you zone out. You don't hear individual songs anymore, all I hear is the constant thumping of a beat. The same beat. 

I don't even notice music playing in stores/restaurants/elevators at all. Sometimes if I'm with someone I'll hear them say "oh hey, I like/dislike this song!" and I'll just be standing there like "there was music playing?" It just becomes background noise after a while, like sleeping with a white-noise machine.

9 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I don't even notice music playing in stores/restaurants/elevators at all. Sometimes if I'm with someone I'll hear them say "oh hey, I like/dislike this song!" and I'll just be standing there like "there was music playing?" It just becomes background noise after a while, like sleeping with a white-noise machine.

Like when they drive, and suddenly turn the volume up and say "uuh, I like this song!" 

And you ask yourself "Really? Really? The last 5 were exactly the same, but THIS is the one?" 

On 7/17/2020 at 9:16 PM, Edmilson said:

Most music leading the charts here are what we call "sertanejo" (similar to US's country music and also close to mexican music) and gospel songs for the Christians.

Here's an example of a sertanejo song, if you want to try it:

That's awful, indeed. And we do import that sort of thing to Portugal

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

It's torture to sit in a car with someone who wants to play the mainstream stations up and down. I don't know how they can take it. It's hypnosis. At some point, you zone out. You don't hear individual songs anymore, all I hear is the constant thumping of a beat. The same beat. 

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Like when they drive, and suddenly turn the volume up and say "uuh, I like this song!" 

And you ask yourself "Really? Really? The last 5 were exactly the same, but THIS is the one?" 

You must be fun at parties. 

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

There's something to be said for expanding your horizons, cultivating good taste. There's also something to be said for learning to embrace your inner basic bitch.