POLL: Returning Themes in The Rise of Skywalker score (FYC titles and music discussion allowed!!)

Jay

Rise of Skywalker returning themes, as heard in the FYC  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these themes do you think JW did the most interesting developments to on the Rise of Skywalker FYC?

• Leia's Theme
    • The Force Theme
    • Vader's Theme (The Imperial March)
    • The Emperor's Theme
    • Rey's Theme
    • Kylo Ren's Theme
    • Poe's Theme
    • The March of the Resistance
  2. 2. Which of these existing Star Wars themes do you most hope will appear in the complete score somewhere?

• The Throne Room
    • Han Solo and the Princess
    • Yoda's Theme
    • Lando's Theme (Cloud City theme)
    • Luke and Leia
    • Duel of the Fates
    • Battle of the Heroes
    • The Jedi Steps
    • Rose's Theme
    • None of the above, either because you don't want any of them to appear, or you have no particular theme hopes
  3. 3. Which of these existing Star Wars themes do you think are most likely to actually appear in the complete score somewhere?

• The Throne Room
    • Han Solo and the Princess
    • Yoda's Theme
    • Lando's Theme (Cloud City theme)
    • Luke and Leia
    • Duel of the Fates
    • Battle of the Heroes
    • The Jedi Steps
    • Rose's Theme
    • None of the above will appear in the score anywhere

I most enjoy what JW did to The Emperor's Theme and The Imperial March on the TROS FYC.

I am hopefully he found a spot to put in a reference to Duel of the Fates somewhere, but I'm less hopeful now than I was before the FYC for some reason.

I think it's pretty likely he'll bring back Rose's Theme for some scene with her, but I'm not entirely sure about that either.  If he hadn't turned it into half a concert arrangement, I'd think it's less likely.

I have no idea if he'll use Cloud City stuff for Lando or not.

I think Jedi Steps is the one the great missed opportunities of this modern trilogy. I think it is a great and dramatic theme. 

It can be used to anchor many dramatic weight moments. But it was used in basically 1 sequence in 7 and in 1 sequence in 8. I hope it returns in 9.

I am hoping to listen to the full album to make the determination as to what is the MAIN THEME of the new trilogy. I think the candidates are Rey's Theme and March of the Resistance.

32 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I am hoping to listen to the full album to make the determination as to what is the MAIN THEME of the new trilogy. I think the candidates are Rey's Theme and March of the Resistance.

I don’t see how it isn’t Rey’s Theme.

There was another clip today that features Kylo and the Emperor’s voice over. It then breaks into Duel of the Fates and then Imperial March. 

Given the way it’s been used in the marketing I’d be very surprised if Duel of the Fates isn’t used in Episode IX. Regardless of what’s on, or rather isn’t, the FYC

In terms of returning themes, I'm down for whatever.

28 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I really want the droid motif from Empire to get a brief mention at some point. Not even sure why, just think it'd be neat. 

You should update your countdown to the 18th!

I feel like we'll hear DOTF. What I think would be cool is to have the Dule of the Fates ostinato repeating figure, but something different in the choir...so it can have some uniqueness.

I think we'll hear Roses' theme.

My wish list:

-Han's theme (if Han is referenced), a slow subtle version.

-Droid motif

-Anakin's theme (not sure if there'd be an opportunity)

-a brash/forceful trombone version of Imperial March, perhaps for the fleet we see in the trailers

-Jar Jar's theme (just kidding).

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I am hopefully he found a spot to put in a reference to Duel of the Fates somewhere, but I'm less hopeful now than I was before the FYC for some reason.

what about the Rhatama at the end of Approaching the Throne. That sounds like DotF before it cuts out

Am I the only one hearing this?

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

what about the Rhatama at the end of Approaching the Throne. That sounds like DotF before it cuts out

I don't remember hearing the "Rhatama", but I only listened to that once, I need to give it another listen later.

8 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I heard ht too but thought it might be just wishful thinking on my part. 

I think DotF will appear during the big saber fight. 

Right now, voters are most pleased with the new Emperor's Theme variations, most hope that Duel of the Fates appears in the complete score, and think the Throne Room motif is most likely to return in the complete score

Let JW do a new theme instead of DotF. I don't get the obsession over it. I never liked the theme as much as most apparently do. It doesn't sound like Star Wars to me, the instrumental iterations are far suprior, and the album arrangement is way too long. 

Kylo Ren's Theme

Rose's Theme

Duel of the Fates

While the Emperor's Theme gets a serious workout (even in the FYC), I was really compelled by the changes in Kylo Ren's theme in latter tracks. Sounds very tragic in nature, and while taking a "threatening" motif like that and trying to make it sound tragic would fail in lesser hands, Williams did a really great job with it. I've always enjoyed his theme but now I'm enjoying it in a new light.

Of the themes listed in the second poll, I wasn't really too keen on hearing any of them return (more like, more renditions of the themes in the first poll) so I was going to go with none of the above...but I actually really do love Rose's theme. Character aside, I remember hearing that theme before the film and applying it to the Resistance as a whole. While the march is exactly that and makes for some great action music, Rose's theme was much more optimistic and sounded like something out of the Potter films. I'm not a Rose hater by any means but the character didn't live up to the theme, not by a longshot, but I'd love to hear it again in TROS.

1 hour ago, gkgyver said:

Let JW do a new theme instead of DotF. I don't get the obsession over it. I never liked the theme as much as most apparently do. It doesn't sound like Star Wars to me, the instrumental iterations are far suprior, and the album arrangement is way too long. 

I think Duel of the Fates is a wonderful piece, but it had its time. It felt slightly out of place in ROTS and would feel ridiculously out of place in TROS to me. I'd prefer Williams write something else for the lightsaber duel(s) here, but I also have no doubts that JJ and Lucasfilm were like, "C'mon, John. Fans love that theme."

What language is that choral outburst at the end of Approaching the Throne? Gaelic, Sanskrit? I feel like Throne Room was unfairly overutilized in the end credits of RotS, like the diploma ceremony that never quit, closure we didn't end up needing (even Escape Hatch felt a little pompous in context). But it will be back for sure. That's JTW's Hope and Glory anthem.

I voted for Kylo Ren as at a high level the transformation felt like it mirrored what happened with Yoda's notes in RotJ. But I love how dark and tired MotR gets. And Leia at the end of Healing Wounds is weighty and beautiful really gets to me.

As ragged as this presentation is, even the shadow of this man's musical salute to his career-defining magnum opus is like a celestial event itself.

21 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Suprise nobody voted for Yoda's Theme in question #3.  Y'all don't think Yoda will make an appearance in this?!

There's not a lot of context to make way for his appearance. None of the surviving characters know who he is.

With that said, I have a feeling Abrams will be bringing back A LOT to try and tie this all together. If force ghosts can join in on the party on Endor, I have no doubts that they can show up here and get litty.

Just now, AzOutcast said:

I have a feeling Abrams will be bringing back A LOT to try and tie this all together. If force ghosts can join in on the party on Endor, I have no doubts that they can show up here and get litty.

That's what i'm saying :rock: