New John Williams interview about “The Rise of Skywalker”

rpvee

2 minutes ago, Timo Martikainen said:

Thanks for the interview video! Same Youtube account posted a video which actually has small clips of Williams at the recording sessions:

(before 6:33 there's material which could include some spoilers)

Anyone recognize off-hand if that bit is on the FYC?

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Wait, Murphy played a top C? Isn't that supposed to be a B-flat? And God, he's so energetic!

It would have been written as a high C for B-flat trumpet, which sounds as a concert B-flat.

6 hours ago, Timo Martikainen said:

Thanks for the interview video! Same Youtube account posted a video which actually has small clips of Williams at the recording sessions:

(before 6:33 there's material which could include some spoilers)

Seems like NEW THEME #2 is getting a lot more play in this score than the FYC would have us believe.

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

To me it looked like JJ was fangirling about a particular moment and Williams rubbed his shoulder out of gratitude. 'Thanks, baby.'

In the middle of this conversation I believe J.J. answers „Doesn’t matter“ to something JW says to him before. Thats all I can make out.

9 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

You can see the dedication and energy, but also his struggle, while conducting in 7:01. My hero

Some of this music might seem like "just an underscore", but I look at it more like at complex, aleatoric modern classical music---only this time done by Williams. Respect.

I think he just doesn’t like having the earphones on. He seems much more relaxed when he is conducting freely. 

And I agree to the assessment of the score, as I now just came around to listen to the FYC. We will never get another Imperial March or HEdwigs Theme from hem, but the motivic intricacies I heard are stunning. 

10 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Where is NEW THEME #2 most prominently played on the FYC?

Read the bottom of the main post here

43 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

I took a look at my charts, and before 2000, few, if any composers of note worked even leisurely at this age.

But now:

87 is the new 77, and 77 is the new 67.

67 is the new 57.

57 is the new 47.

47 is the new 37.

37 is the new 27.

27 is the new 17.

17 is the new 7.

I've just finished translating a medical textbook, and I've got to say: bless the generations of heroes that led to our modern medicine.

Beyond medicine there's the internal believe that anything is possible ;)

It's why I say that even if you think these new scores pale in comparison to previous glories, you must admit it's astounding he's writing music this vibrant and compelling at his age.  There is very little precedent for it.  For most, even if they had physical health their minds would simply not be up to the task.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's why I say that even if you think these new scores pale in comparison to previous glories, you must admit it's astounding he's writing music this vibrant and compelling at his age.  There is very little precedent for it.  For most, even if they had physical health their minds would simply not be up to the task.

You're plastering a narrative onto this that isn't true. Most creative endeavors don't wane with age unless there is some underlying pathology. Old people only get better. 

Productivity declines with age, but quality of output typically doesn't, if anything it improves. 

1 hour ago, Taikomochi said:

Interviewer: “How does it feel to finish this series?”

After completing his epoch-defining magnum opus, I heard he's switching to compose rap. He has already written this piece for Daisy Ridley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx2jIjv5g-M 

The music at 7:02 is from the middle and end of "Approaching the Throne" (without the choir overlay). That would indicate that the portion in between that was edited in, and not actually part of that cue.

37 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Lovely post @Cerebral Cortex.

BTW, your countdown to the final score is slightly out... it's only 2 days/10 hours/40 minutes away, not 2 days/11 hours/10 mins. :)

Thanks for that! Should be fixed now.