Sign in to follow this  
rpvee

New John Williams interview about “The Rise of Skywalker”

2 minutes ago, Timo Martikainen said:

Thanks for the interview video! Same Youtube account posted a video which actually has small clips of Williams at the recording sessions:

(before 6:33 there's material which could include some spoilers)

Anyone recognize off-hand if that bit is on the FYC?

6 hours ago, Timo Martikainen said:

Thanks for the interview video! Same Youtube account posted a video which actually has small clips of Williams at the recording sessions:

(before 6:33 there's material which could include some spoilers)

Seems like NEW THEME #2 is getting a lot more play in this score than the FYC would have us believe.

8 hours ago, Arpy said:

To me it looked like JJ was fangirling about a particular moment and Williams rubbed his shoulder out of gratitude. 'Thanks, baby.'

In the middle of this conversation I believe J.J. answers „Doesn’t matter“ to something JW says to him before. Thats all I can make out.

9 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

You can see the dedication and energy, but also his struggle, while conducting in 7:01. My hero

Some of this music might seem like "just an underscore", but I look at it more like at complex, aleatoric modern classical music---only this time done by Williams. Respect.

I think he just doesn’t like having the earphones on. He seems much more relaxed when he is conducting freely. 

And I agree to the assessment of the score, as I now just came around to listen to the FYC. We will never get another Imperial March or HEdwigs Theme from hem, but the motivic intricacies I heard are stunning. 

12 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Given his age and all he's gone through the last couple years, it's incredible he's still doing what he loves to do. Most people his age would be in a nursing home, and he's still rocking it as always.

Most people his age would be already dead!

I took a look at my charts, and before 2000, few, if any composers of note worked even leisurely at this age.

But now:

87 is the new 77, and 77 is the new 67.

67 is the new 57.

57 is the new 47.

47 is the new 37.

37 is the new 27.

27 is the new 17.

17 is the new 7.

I've just finished translating a medical textbook, and I've got to say: bless the generations of heroes that led to our modern medicine.

43 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

I took a look at my charts, and before 2000, few, if any composers of note worked even leisurely at this age.

But now:

87 is the new 77, and 77 is the new 67.

67 is the new 57.

57 is the new 47.

47 is the new 37.

37 is the new 27.

27 is the new 17.

17 is the new 7.

I've just finished translating a medical textbook, and I've got to say: bless the generations of heroes that led to our modern medicine.

Beyond medicine there's the internal believe that anything is possible ;)

It's why I say that even if you think these new scores pale in comparison to previous glories, you must admit it's astounding he's writing music this vibrant and compelling at his age.  There is very little precedent for it.  For most, even if they had physical health their minds would simply not be up to the task.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's why I say that even if you think these new scores pale in comparison to previous glories, you must admit it's astounding he's writing music this vibrant and compelling at his age.  There is very little precedent for it.  For most, even if they had physical health their minds would simply not be up to the task.

You're plastering a narrative onto this that isn't true. Most creative endeavors don't wane with age unless there is some underlying pathology. Old people only get better. 

Productivity declines with age, but quality of output typically doesn't, if anything it improves. 

39 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

You're plastering a narrative onto this that isn't true. Most creative endeavors don't wane with age unless there is some underlying pathology. Old people only get better. 

Productivity declines with age, but quality of output typically doesn't, if anything it improves. 

The work of elderly creators pales in comparison with their middle-aged work in terms of being sweeping though. This is true for literature, film, music, and painting alike. Quality per square inch might be the highest, but the most ingenious (large) structures are those created when an artist is in the most productive age. 

You can see it in the works of Spielberg, Lucas, Wagner, Tolstoy, you name it. Old people get more experienced, but less energetic. If they are stimulated from outside (contractually) the latter part might be postponed: for example Goldsmith's 90s.

The biggest log in the cogwheels of an artist is always a lack of motivation to be sweeping and magnificent in what one is doing, instead of minimalist and self-content. Younger-to-middle-aged creatives usually have this hunger. Older ones do not. This is not a jab at them; a health-damaging effort that younger great artists expose themselves to might well kill them at some point, if they overdo it. And also: cognitive decline on all fronts is a fact at some point in a human's life. At some point one cannot further improve as fast as one used to, and starts to decline in most unexpected places and ways.

Williams is indeed doing great for his age, and most realize it.