New John Williams interview about “The Rise of Skywalker”

rpvee

7 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

In all the possible scenarios of what could have happened, the one that seems most unlikely to me is that last one. And, holy fuck, that's the one we got. 

yes, and your other scenarios is what happened with Harry Potter.

Williams does look and sound old. 

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

yes, and your other scenarios is what happened with Harry Potter.

Williams does look and sound old. 

There's snarky, and then there's just plain dumb. Your comment falls squarely in the latter. Unwarranted and flat wrong.

Williams is much more physically animated with his hands and even vocal modulations in the last several years versus the 70s/80s period.  I find it charming.  The other element that I found interesting was his genuine affection for JJ (well, it comes off as pretty genuine).  It seems like he made peace with the extended recording process and embraced the final SW experience and JJ himself.  

John Williams says one and the same composer contributing to a single film series over such a long time has never happened in theatre. 

Is John Williams familiar with John Barry?

A few more to go until you equaled that, Johnny.

John Barry scored his first Bond movie in 1963 and his last in 1987, so that's a 24 year period. John Williams did it for Star Wars between 1977 and 2019, so that's a 42 year. So he didn't say anything wrong

I’m not familiar with the Bond scores so this is a stupid question either way, but it’s not like Barry had a lexicon of thematic material he was building on? He developed a sound for Bond but Barry’s achievement doesn’t seem comparable just because he scored a greater number of movies in the same franchise. Henry Mancini too for that matter.

It’s always seemed to me that Howard Shore is the only other film composer in this conversation, really, which is six films in 13 years. I’ll be pleased as punch if he pulls off Jacko’s Silmarillion trilogy at 95.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:15 PM, Cerebral Cortex said:

In all the possible scenarios of what could have happened, the one that seems most unlikely to me is that last one. And, holy fuck, that's the one we got. 

Well said! Indeed, that IS what we got! ...can I get an "AMEN!"