New Ennio Morricone anthology set: 18 CDs 1964-2015

Biodome

I know that guy, he worked with Charles Aznavour!

It is not clear what this boxset features... Does it really reproduce original albums? Does it contains re-recordings? The way they organized the CDs by theme, it smells bullshit at 100 miles around.

Is it the spoiler TROS? Anyway, I think Palpatine controls John Williams too.

Hey, This italian guy at the top, does he sells CD?

I saw that image and it confuses me. I Don’t like the thematical approach, do they feature only hifglights on these CDs, or there put 2LPs by CD?  That’s unclear.

12 hours ago, Bespin said:

The way they organized the CDs by theme, it smells bullshit at 100 miles around.

It's the way Morricone plays his music in concert. He always conducts suites with titles similar to those of the CDs, e.g., "Cinema dell'impegno",

featuring the main themes from movies he has scored that fall under that category. It is probably the way he thinks his music works best as a listening experience, so I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to present it analogously on the CDs.

http://www.soundtrackcorner.de/musiques-de-films-1964-2015-p8333.htm?osCsidX=535457a7130ffefccbc736fb8e6ff700

At soundtrackcorner.de you can see the full track list. Some scores are complete, others are the OSTs and the rest is just a few selected tracks.

The interesting thing is: all the cues re-used by Tarantino are assembled on one CD.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 6:46 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Which album is he holding?

It's a recent(ish) box-set.

6 hours ago, Borodin said:

No wonder this guy is one of the most popular musicians on rym (number of total ratings towards the artist.) Just relistened to a brief collection of his. Every bit is unique and enticing to artsy folk!

THIS is how to do "minimalism"!!!

Are you listening, Zimmarse?!

• 2 months later...

I'm generally somewhat of a Morricone noob, but I know I'd love at least 4-5 of these discs just by the tracklists. I just went through this 2+ hour "best of" collection of original recordings (https://open.spotify.com/album/5FppXC9jZNmi14vdLROTQu?si=04SySAD5RyaijZ63nzlvPA) and didn't skip a single track, I liked all of them to varying degrees. For those that know stuff better, is this playlist an OK representation, is there an alright chance I'd like most of this set as either a starter or an "all I'll ever need" set?

Tbh, that playlist is very western-centric and omits major periods of his eclectic output. Look for a playlist that doesn't have the Leone's, The Mission and Cinema Paradiso.

Here you find a few anthologies devoted to different stylistic periods:

and one of the numerous epics, and the theme I like most of these, the main theme to the Marco Polo miniseries:

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Here you find a few anthologies devoted to different stylistic periods:

The AN ENNIO MORRICONE ANTHOLOGY 2CD set which you link to is, simply put, the most important Morricone soundtrack of my life. I bought it relatively cheap in 1996, and it was a major door opener to all the other sides of him I wasn't aware of the time (back then, it was mostly spaghetti westerns and THE MISSION and those kinds of big hits that were on my radar). But through that, I started exploring some of the lesser known titles represented on the album, and even a little beyond that -- before the exploration eventually came to a halt (but was then re-ignited again now, after his death).

That's why, when we did that "144 albums" thread awhile back, that was my representative for Morricone. No individual OST, just that one.

• 1 year later...

https://www.musicbox-records.com/fr/cd-musiques-de-films/11257-ennio-morricone-musiques-de-films-1964-2015-volume-2.html

Looks like the big Morricone set is getting a Volume 2. Who can identify the scores?

• 1 year later...

I just received the two Ennio Morricone - Musique de films boxes (Vol. 1 & 2) from Universal France.

Tell me eveything there is to know about these two items!

10 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I just received the two Ennio Morricone - Musique de films boxes (Vol. 1 & 2) from Universal France.

Tell me eveything there is to know about these two items!

As far as I know, they came from the latest releases from the best sources available at the time (Good Bad Ugly for example got a fantastic major upgrade in the complete Quartet expansion right after). Some of the discs are compilations with 1-3 tracks per score thematically grouped, some are reprints of partial or full previous releases, some like Cinema Paradiso are the OST plus something from the expansion, and Orca has cues that premiered on the V1 set. V1 represents probably most of the big hits one could think of with a helping of more hidden gems at the side, and V2 is a window into just how much more vast his catalogue is. I love V1, regularly listen to a lot of the scores included on it (even if I wish some of them got a sonic upgrade and expansion), and 2's pretty good too. Just go slowly disc by disc and read up a bit of context on the scores as they come up.

I'll try to reproduce the two vinyl samplers using the two CD box sets. I imagine there is plenty of compilations I will be able to reproduce with them too!

https://www.discogs.com/release/17516005-Ennio-Morricone-Musiques-De-Films-Colonne-Sonore-Original-Soundtracks-1971-1990

https://www.discogs.com/release/24401705-Ennio-Morricone-Musiques-De-Films-Colonne-Sonore-Original-Soundtracks-1967-1999

As I delve into the first box set, "Original Soundtracks 1964-2015," I make some beautiful discoveries. The initial CDs are obviously superb as they feature classic scores, but it's the 9th CD that charmed me this afternoon. It contains the music of two scores I wasn't familiar with: "The Orca" and "L'Umanoide." The latter left me with a sensation of wonderment.

Truly, it's a great box set! I'm not frustrated by the scores that are only represented by 2 or 3 tracks, as Morricone, for me, is more of a theme composer than a coherent score composer. Anyway, for now, the format and the content of the box set are very satisfying!

image.jpeg

Just another post to express my delight regarding this boxset. I'm thrilled that the majority of the ultimate 'classics' are presented in their OST form (or near), providing us with immense pleasure!

• CD-02-The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
  • CD-03-Once Upon A Time In West
  • CD-05-Once Upon A Time In America
  • CD-13-Mission
  • CD-14-The Untouchables
  • CD-15-Cinéma Paradiso

https://www.discogs.com/release/15429874-Ennio-Morricone-Musiques-De-Films-Colonne-Sonore-Original-Soundtracks-19642015

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

CD-02-The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Not the OST, the second expansion (which is a downgrade of the first, it's missing the very satisfying revision of The Trio)

CD-03-Once Upon A Time In West

Not the OST, the expansion

Once Upon A Time In America

Okay OST but with the bonus tracks

CD-14-The Untouchables

Not the OST, at the very least it's reordered

CD-15-Cinéma Paradiso

Almost the OST but with an additional track from the expansion inside the program.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Thanks for these precisions!

Plug it back into your AI, tell it off for being stupid!

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The score for ORCA is a good score, from a guilty pleasure of a movie.

Fantastic score, I love the additional main theme variations premiered on this set.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The score for ORCA is a good score, from a guilty pleasure of a movie.

I defy anyone to like Morricone's music for SPACE: 1999.

@Bespin, if you thought IMAGES was bad...

I don't think Images is BAD.

I think it's weird, but it suits the movie very well as it is also, very weird.

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

It contains the music of two scores I wasn't familiar with: "The Orca" and "L'Umanoide." The latter left me with a sensation of wonderment.

image.jpeg

I have the standalone CD of this and I love it. I’m not sure Morricone was scoring this hilarious Star Wars ripoff, or perhaps he just looked at some concept art and wrote music to that. But I enjoy it for its “far out” Metal Hurlant sound.   The film has never had an official digital release, but it’s a howl. 

Today, I skipped directly to volume II of the box set "Original Soundtracks 1964-2015" just to listen to another "classic," "Il Mio Nome È Nessuno," which I believe is probably the OST version or something near?

image.png

Once again on volume II... we have "Days of Heaven." Here, it's shorter than an OST, but the OST seems to include some source or song cues... so I suppose it's a "fair" representation of the instrumental part from it? Any experts?

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have nearly recreated the entire 2014 compilation "L'essentiel de Ennio Morricone" by utilizing both box sets. It provides a delightful overview of his work.

image.png

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/5373378-Ennio-Morricone-LEssentiel-De-Ennio-Morricone-Bandes-Originales-Célèbres-Rares-Ou-Inédites

Finally, I've compared the two sources. There aren't many changes on the boxset compared to the old CD.

In general, both sources exhibit reasonably good quality. The first source may have a minor edge in terms of dynamic range, while the second source demonstrates lower peak values and slightly decreased average RMS values. This could imply a somewhat cleaner audio profile concerning loudness, and a lower risk of distortion.

THE MISSION: OLD CD --> NEW BOX SET

image.png

• 1 month later...

Sunday morning, it's grey and cold outside, I have a warm coffee, and some warm music by the Masetro Morricone.

CD 11 - Faces of Italian Cinema.

image.png