I kept hearing this JW snippet in my head, but I couldn't place it for the life of me. Can you?

Josh500

So for about a week I kept hearing this very short snippet in my head... but I couldn't place it for the life of me. It was very short--maybe 5 seconds--and the only thing I knew with any certainty was that it was from a JW score! Maybe from one of the 8 Star Wars scores we know so far, the two Jurassic Park scores, or maybe even Minority Report, A.I. - Artificial Intelligence, or War of the Worlds! (Or something entirely different.) 

At first this snippet starts out very dark, sinister, somewhat mysterious and frightening--with low strings and woodwinds, as well as a flurry of somewhat disconcerting and fluttering flutes. There's definitely something very wrong in this scene. And then, suddenly, bam!--this quiet music erupts in sudden chaos and sheer panic. The low strings go up and down, frantically, the brass section chimes in with abrupt force, it gets very loud and it is madness! Whatever bad thing was going to happen, it just did, and with a vengeance! 

What is it? Can anybody guess? I have figured it out now, and what a relief it is! The first person to guess it correctly gets a "Thank You!" like from me. :D

32 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Whatever it is, I bet only an intelligent person will get it right. ;)

So not you? ;)

4 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Sounds like something from Close Encounters. 

Yes, that's what I kept thinking too! Which specific moment, though? 

Nope. Where exactly do you hear sheer panic? 

When I said it's getting very close, I meant sound-wise. The one I had in mind sounds very similar to that one Close Encounters cue. 

12 minutes ago, Sandor said:

The part that starts at 3:25? Probably not, but this is such a great cue anyway. 😉

I agree on both counts. It's not what I kept hearing in my head, but it's an awesome cue! 

16 minutes ago, Loert said:

Great one! I hear great similarities between this cue and the one I had in mind.... The sheer panic, chaos, and madness are palpable here as well! 

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

This came to mind. Probably not it though. It's quite longer than 5 seconds...

I forgot all about this cue. This  section sounds kinda like WotW... 

But that's not it. 

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Around 1.30?

Nope. 

Like I've said in previous posts, try to only post videos from "John Williams - Topic", if possible, to avoid videos getting deleted later and wrecking the treads.

______

By the way, the answer is so obvious and deceptively simple, you'll all very likely slap your own foreheads when you learn it. 

Like I did, almost! 😅 

Remember what I said about that brief snippet... I marked the important parts. 

At first this it starts out very dark, sinister, somewhat frightening--with low strings and woodwinds, as well as a flurry of somewhat disconcerting and fluttering flutes. And then, suddenly, bam!--this quiet music erupts in sudden chaos and sheer panic. The low strings go up and down, frantically, the brass section chimes in with abrupt force, it gets very loud and it is madness

Another hint. There is one motif, or small theme, playing over and over throughout this piece. Obviously, when I heard the small 5-second snippet in my head, I didn't realise it (otherwise I would have known from which score it is right away)... What had stuck in my mind was the music suddenly escalating and a the low urgent strings, accentuated by brass, going up and down frantically... In sheer, breathtaking, agonised panic and terror, as it were. 

Indeed masterful writing from JW, relatively early in his career! 

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Give us a decade...aka, the earlier scores aren't my best expertise.

Okay, last hint. :D

This is post-Jaws, but pre-Schindler's List! 

I am not going to dignify this silly charade with an answer! I just stopped by to say this. Ta ta!

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

That's almost two decades. :P

You can only consider one post at a time, can you? Why don't you take all the hints I posted, and put them together? ;)

1 minute ago, Bowie said:

Is it the B-section in the Imperial March?

That went by me too but I didn't think it exactly matched the descriptions.

16 minutes ago, Bowie said:

Is it the B-section in the Imperial March?

Sheer panic and chaos? 

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

That went by me too but I didn't think it exactly matched the descriptions.

You almost got it, I think. Just go through all the obvious choices... 

Like I said, it's not some obscure cue. It's a very obvious and simple one... Pretty much every JW fan has heard it and knows it! 

First you tell me it's an obvious choice, and now I'm "not even trying anymore" for going with an obvious choice, huh?

Is it from a Spielberg film?

It doesn't match all the descriptions I gave, does it? 

Oh well. I'm starting to doubt now that anybody will get it. Maybe it's not so obvious, after all. It took myself about a week to figure it out, after all.

Anyway, I'll reveal the answer in about 1 hour! 12 hours after I started this thread. ;)

________

Here's the answer. It was "Far from Home" from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial! Specifically at around 4:00 - 5:00.

From 4:00...

This is what I wrote about it:

At first this snippet starts out very dark, sinister, somewhat mysterious and frightening--with low strings and woodwinds, as well as a flurry of somewhat disconcerting and fluttering flutes. There's definitely something very wrong in this scene. And then, suddenly, bam!--this quiet music erupts in sudden chaos and sheer panic. The low strings go up and down, frantically, the brass section chimes in with abrupt force, it gets very loud and it is madness! Whatever bad thing was going to happen, it just did, and with a vengeance! 

Another hint. There is one motif, or small theme, playing over and over throughout this piece. Obviously, when I heard the small 5-second snippet in my head, I didn't realise it (otherwise I would have known from which score it is right away)... What had stuck in my mind was the music suddenly escalating and a the low urgent strings, accentuated by brass, going up and down frantically... In sheer, breathtaking, agonised panic and terror, as it were. 

Indeed masterful writing from JW, relatively early in his career!