Why do people prefer the Disney Trilogy to the Prequels?

Unlucky Bastard

I don't like the Disney trilogy more than the prequel trilogy.  I dislike both trilogies equally.

I only really like the original movies.  And it's not like I even go back and watch them anymore.  

I love all the scores, though.

The prequel trilogy is a big let down for those nostalgic for the OT.  Now there is a new group who feels that way about the PT and aren't in to the ST.  To me, the ST is poorly telling a story and the PT had a story to tell but did so poorly.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Manfrenjensenden said:

The main reason the prequels are bad is Anakin’s fall isn’t all that compelling. 

Basically he ruined an entire galaxy for a piece of ass. 

Lucas was going to have him ruin the galaxy because of his lust for power until Spielberg and co saw that cut and said 'no, he's too unsympathetic'.

16 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Can you blame him?

image.gif

sorry, there’s only one I’d ruin the galaxy for.

B97185D7-3293-4435-B531-655F94580B6A.gif

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I only really like the original movies.  And it's not like I even go back and watch them anymore.  

Yeah, I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen one of the original films. It’s probably been almost 20 years.

The only movies I have on blu-ray are TFA and RO. 

I don't understand how exactly people wanted Anakin to turn to the dark side. If you remove that motivation to turn to the other side, he wouldn't be a sympathetic character. 

I remember weirdo fanboys Freudianly wanting to see the dark side be like drug addiction for Anakin. Eh? Who the fuck is going to see a Star War movie for that shit.

Anyway, treating these films in trilogies as though each trilogy is uniform in quality or style in kinda simplistic.

Attack of the Clones is in its own league of incompetence, and I like The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and Revenge of the Sith more than I do Return of the Jedi. Both the classic trilogy and the sequel trilogy change style between entries (owing to no small amount to change in director and/or writers) and there are major continuity issues in the first two trilogies.

4 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I don't understand how exactly people wanted Anakin to turn to the dark side. If you remove that motivation to turn to the other side, he wouldn't be a sympathetic character. 

I remember weirdo fanboys Freudianly wanting to see the dark side be like drug addiction for Anakin. Eh? Who the fuck is going to see a Star War movie for that shit.

That's exactly how Lucas was going to do it.

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

I hear ya. Ive overwatched them anyway. I'll see ROTJ next year. But only because there's a symphony orchestra playing the music life.

Actually the last times Ive watched SW and TESB were live to picture showings. 

I'll watch Ep 9 next week. After that I'm probably done watching Star Wars of any kind.

The scores are great! All of them.

When I saw Star Wars live to projection in New York the other year, that was the first time I'd actually seen that film in many many years.  And despite the incredible excitement of hearing one of the most important scores of my entire life, the score that made me a film music fan, played live spectacularly in front of me, the CGI garbage and other changes to the film itself still managed to take enough enjoyment out of the evening that I can't say it was a complete success.

I will see Empire live to projection in Tanglewood this summer, for certain, and, hopefully, Return of the Jedi next year. But I can't even remember the last time I chose to watch the original trilogy in my own house, nor can I foresee doing so in the future unless an actual legal, proper 4K or better restoration of the original untouched films gets released.

I saw TPM and AOTC more than once, including more than once in theaters.  I saw ROTS exactly once, opening night at midnight, and the last of my pure childhood SW fandom essentially died that night.  I've never been compelled to re-watch any of the prequels at all since then.

I saw TFA in the theater on opening night and didn't like it.  I saw it again in theaters and liked it a little more, but not much.  I then re-watched it just before TLJ opened, and realized that it's actually quite nice for about 45 minutes then totally goes off the rails and never recovers.  I saw TLJ on opening night and haven't watched anything Star Wars since.

I'll probably re-watch TFA and TLJ before I see TROS Thursday night.  But mostly just to take in everything JW is doing with the score.  Because I don't care about these characters or what any plot developments mean to them.

But man, I can't wait to hear that new John Williams Star Wars album.

I've just watched both TFA and TLJ today in preparation for TROS on Thursday. Thinking on it, I probably prefer TFA to TLJ. I still like TLJ (would not put it among my top 3 though) but around the Canto Bight sequence it started to feel too long. Something similar to what I felt with Infinity War.

People prefer the Disney sequels because they are new, they are an event, they are in (either to love or to hate).  The aura around Star Wars has always been a bigger thing than the movies themselves.

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Why does Darth Vader need to be sympathetic? 

18 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

The aura around Star Wars has always been a bigger thing than the movies themselves.

This is undeniably true.

Star Wars as a phenomenon is far greater than the sum of its parts.

10 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I really think TFA is kind of amazing right up until Han comes into it.

The first part of the films is excellent. With Rey's introduction probably being the best sequence JJ has done so far. 

Yeah, but for the moment I was looking at it more as an action setpiece. For the "fight as a confrontation/drama/character-building-moment" The Empire Strikes Back still tops it. But as a piece of fighting? Second to none.

I mean, all the big leaps and flips that the characters do in The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and the prequel trilogy are fun, but they don't sell the intensity of the fighting as the choreography in The Force Awakens does.

The lightsaber blows feel more like blows from a sledgehammer: they have real weight in terms of how the combatants wield them and in terms of sound design.

I think Kylo’s was meant to be heavy, kind of a throwback to medieval swords.

But the sabres in the newer films sound and look much more powerful.  

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

I really think TFA is kind of amazing right up until Han comes into it. Not a knock against Harrison Ford who is surprisingly fun and JJ/Kasdan did a good job bringing his character to life in the writing, but it's just at that point it becomes something else. And it doesn't help that the Rathtars sequence is the worst of the film.

But I always think the true strength of JJ's TV roots really show in the first 40 minutes. All four main new characters -- Rey, Kylo Ren, Finn, Poe -- are introduced to us in the first 10 minutes and we immediately get a sense of who they are and their role in the story. It establishes dynamics between Kylo-Finn, Kylo-Poe, Finn-Poe, and Finn-Rey from the beginning and Kylo Ren also becomes aware of Rey by the end of the first act. I dunno, I still remember being blown away by all of that the first time, it's amazing stuff and hits the ground running.

If that section were the first episode of a Star Wars show it'd be considered one of the greatest TV pilots ever and "Chewie we're home" would be one of the all-time great cliffhangers.

Yes, the first 40 minutes of TFA are excellent indeed.  But, the dynamics between the characters that were set up were kind of wasted for the rest of the film and in TLJ.  It's like no one knew exactly what should come next, or had some general plot ideas, but did not let the new characters drive them.  

31 minutes ago, crumbs said:

JJ fixing lightsaber battles was one of his great achievements. Finally we have filmmakers back in charge of Star Wars who understand that this:

anigif_sub-buzz-6937-1557790268-1.gif

is far more interesting than this:

7cc30da39633f948667dcac32364e670.gif

Not to undermine your argument (which I agree with), but the duel in Star Wars shouldn’t be used as a benchmark for anything. It’s silly. 

5 minutes ago, Demodex said:

The prequels were one disappointment after another.

But what about all those scenes of people standing in an obvious green screen room talking to each other, walking slightly while talking more, then standing and talking again? 

Such brilliant filmmaking. I'm so glad they're being re-evaluated as misunderstood masterpieces (when if they didn't have the name 'Star Wars' attached to them, they would've bombed and been long forgotten). 

It has more than a couple of things going for it. Anakin’s fall is compelling in large portions (but sadly, not all) of Revenge of the Sith. I just wish that was woven through the whole of the trilogy. 

A huge part of that comes from his scenes with Palpatine. Those are great. That scene in the opera is absolutely superb.

There’s some great action, too (mostly in The Phantom Menace - as an action movie it’s very good, actually) and it’s great to actually get to spend some time in Curoscant early in Attack of the Clones.

Lucas is bloody lucky he had McDiarmid to carry that film (and Williams, let's be honest) because watching him totally ham it up and have fun is one of that film's redeeming qualities. Rewatching it a few years ago, I forgot how bad the first hour is before Palpy becomes the Emperor. 

26 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Yes, the first 40 minutes of TFA are excellent indeed.  But, the dynamics between the characters that were set up were kind of wasted for the rest of the film and in TLJ.  It's like no one knew exactly what should come next, or had some general plot ideas, but did not let the new characters drive them.  

I hope the first part of Rise of Skywalker delivers at least a bit on that. It may not feel like enough but at least getting the heroes together for awhile should be fun.

8 hours ago, SteveMc said:

But, the dynamics between the characters that were set up were kind of wasted for the rest of the film and in TLJ.  It's like no one knew exactly what should come next, or had some general plot ideas, but did not let the new characters drive them.  

Rian intentionally separated them and made them go through difficult things so they could grow and come out stronger going into the finale.

Prequel Trilogy PROS/CONS

Better overall story

More epic narrative

Arguably better visually

It's own thing - quite a bit different from Original trilogy

Weak writing

Weak acting

Weak casting

Weak directing

Great music

Unconcerned with social justice

Sequel Trilogy PROS/CONS