The Rise of Skywalker - Reviews that mention the score

Jay

Certainly spoiler free. 

There's currently still only one thread on the entire site that allows spoilers for this film. 

26 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

“Favors characters over story”

lolwut

I will say that's basically this trilogy I think.  I love the characters, but the big world-building plot stuff wasn't very thought-through.  It's the inverse of the prequels, where the over-arching narrative is really good but the characters were weak as heck.

There are worse flaws to have!

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I will say that's basically this trilogy I think.  I love the characters, but the big world-building plot stuff wasn't very thought-through.  It's the inverse of the prequels, where the over-arching narrative is really good but the characters were weak as heck.

There are worse flaws to have!

I guess it’s a semantic point. Character is story.

Just now, mrbellamy said:

I guess it’s a semantic point. Character is story.

I do agree.  But then I don't know how to word my point beyond saying "big world-buildy stuff" vs "individual character stuff".  Either way, I think the prequels and the sequels have inverse strengths!

I see an absolute distinction possible between character and story.

Though thats largely due to the actors themselves.

TFA had fun characters but put them in an average plotline.

7 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

My hope is that people are highlighting the quality of the score not just because of how good it is but also as an indication as to how well-mixed it is in the film.  

Maybe it's just 141 minutes of the Duel of the Fates ostinato playing endlessly while random themes pop in and out over the top. Like Zimmer's score for Dunkirk!

8 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

My hope is that people are highlighting the quality of the score not just because of how good it is but also as an indication as to how well-mixed it is in the film.  

Off topic. Are you in Canberra. I'm from there. Live in Korea these days.

1 hour ago, toothless said:

My guess is that the plot is not all that confusing to the hardcore SW fans.  If that is the case, it somewhat undermines the second bad aspect (or are plot and story different things).  Either way, anybody who mentions JW so prominently gets an A in my book.