The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

3 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

So, after the press screening, I can tell you that the score is really, really good, really crushing. This movie really owns it a lot. I haven't heard FYC material, but especailly two new themes are very epic and have a very prominent place in the score. One is majestic, both are super catchy and memorable. An instant classics for me.

I have the impression that this is the most aggressive score of the new trilogy, and at the same time the most lyrical and nostalgic. Of course, old themes are back - Force, Vader, Palaptine, Leia, Han Solo and the Pricnes, Yoda, Rey, Resistance. End Credits is a mix of old themes and new ones.

I didn't notice Dule of the Fates, but there is a powerful choir that sounds quite similar to it. There are more choirs, at the beginning and especially in the last act of the film. One of them reminded me of Anakin's Betrayal from ROTS.

The movie ends, for the fourth time in a row, with Binnary Sunset.

In two places, if I remember correctly, Williams almost copied fragments from ROTJ (Darth Vader's death) and ESB (Dagobah). But it sounds spectacular.

To sum up, there is a lot going on here. I can't wait to hear it on CD. And of course a few more times at the cinema.

Of course, don't take my words for granted. I really like scores from both TFA and TLJ.

Thank you for this! Could you describe the end credits a bit more? What I'm most curious about is, do they end in a way that also celebrates JW's achievement, or is there really nothing unexpected to be heard?

Guessing he means this part of that scene, 3:46

Just a guess though, haven't seen the film. I remember them using that bit for one of the trailers/tv spots for TFA

12 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

The movie ends, for the fourth time in a row, with Binnary Sunset.

So yeah, FYC's A New Home is not the final track of the movie, as many (me included) have suspected.

Also, what about the use of choir on the movie? Bigger than on the other ST scores?

You;re going to get a ton of questions! Another end credits question: Is it a hodgepodge like The Phantom Menace or are the themes woven together into a coherent piece of music ala Empire?

19 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So yeah, FYC's A New Home is not the final track of the movie, as many (me included) have suspected.

It's clear to me that the FYC track "ends" where Binary Sunset would begin, but the Binary Sunset part was removed from the FYC because its an existing arrangement

If you listen to the track, you can hear Binary Sunset beginning in your head as the track ends

Just now, Taikomochi said:

I guess it’s probably hard to tell just from seeing in theater if it’s a properly flowing sweet like TFA or an editorial mashing of cues like TLJ.

Honestly TFA is top notch leitmotif writing throughout.  

30 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Is the Kylo/Rey lightsaber fight scored thematically? Or just kinda random actiony stuff?

Also I take it Force Theme ends the film, right?

Mostly there is no music - due to loud storm sounds

Yes. 

Well, there are a couple of Kylo/Rey fights in the film, and some of them have music. But nothing stood out in a thematic sense, at least not for me.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

So was it obvious watching the film what the "Anthem of Evil" theme is?

I think I know what it refers to, yes.

Here's hoping JW wrote and recorded something for those scenes that JJ nixed, and we'll get it on the OST album (or a future expanded release)

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

So was it obvious watching the film what the "Anthem of Evil" theme is?

Not necessarily for me. I didn't listen to anything before the screening. In fact, I focused on film as much as on music. This isn't always easy with such intensity of events on the screen. :)

Since it would be a spoiler element that hasn't been mentioned by others before in this thread, I'll chime in tomorrow with what I think it refers to.

13 minutes ago, Holko said:

Any source music?

I can’t wait for the next 20 years of people complaining that something isn’t complete because it’s missing source music! Teh Joy!

What's worse will be people complaining that the ST scores were unmemorable because there wasn't any epic music from the prequels - missing out on the true wealth of material Williams has written for us.

5 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I can’t wait for the next 20 years of people complaining that something isn’t complete because it’s missing source music! Teh Joy!

30 minutes ago, Arpy said:

What's worse will be people complaining that the ST scores were unmemorable because there wasn't any epic music from the prequels - missing out on the true wealth of material Williams has written for us.

I’m sure those people will exist too. 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Does Rose's theme get some airtime?

Well, the character appears (albeit briefly -- she's one of the elements that get swallowed by the rushed sequences), but I could not hear her theme.

So those that have seen the film, do these new themes sound about right?

The Trio Theme

• FYC 02 Falcon Flight 1:13
  • FYC 03 We Go Together 0:14 / 1:45
  • FYC 05 A Prisoner 1:01
  • FYC 06 To Kimiji 0:17
  • FYC 07 Fleeing from Kimiji 1:17
  • FYC 20 Seeing Sights 0:24

The Rise of Skywalker Theme

• FYC 17 Approaching the Throne 3:18
  • FYC 21 Rescue 0:02
  • FYC 22 Farewell 3:32

Anthem of Evil

• FYC 01 Prologue 0:57
  • FYC 10 Join Me 0:57
  • FYC 12 Off The Waterfront 0:04

Rising and Falling Motif (What does this represent?)

• FYC 01 Prologue 0:43
  • FYC 17 Approaching the Throne 2:07

Action Ostinato (Does it represent one certain character?

• FYC 02 Falcon Flight 1:53
  • FYC 07 Fleeing from Kimiji 0:00 

1 hour ago, Ricardo Mortimer said:

Has anyone seen a movie already" That cute melody around the whole soundtrack (dominates in track The Rise of Skywalker) is written for which character? Thanks

Well…it's Rey theme, right? It's like the major key version of Rey's theme, like Anakin's theme is to Darth Vader's…

Oh wait, is what you guys are calling the trio theme, isn't that the main melody of Rey's theme? And what we're calling the Rise of Skywalker theme is based on the chimes of Rey's theme?

Oh Jesus, I'm just realizing this now… it's all Rey's theme.

11 minutes ago, aviazn said:

Well…it's Rey theme, right? It's like the major key version of Rey's theme, like Anakin's theme is to Darth Vader's…

Oh wait, is what you guys are calling the trio theme, isn't that the main melody of Rey's theme? And what we're calling the Rise of Skywalker theme is based on the chimes of Rey's theme?

Oh Jesus, I'm just realizing this now… it's all Rey's theme.

Remember who composed all this.