The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

You're right, it's just the kind of thing William Ross would do.

I guess I'm still on the fence about whether the trio theme is actually mean to be a reworking of Rey's theme or just something that is evocative of both Rey's theme and Poe's theme (which you could argue is shared with Finn). In the contours and rhythms, it has similarities to both.

I'm sure the film will make everything clear, but I won't get to see it until January…

7 hours ago, Jay said:

It's clear to me that the FYC track "ends" where Binary Sunset would begin, but the Binary Sunset part was removed from the FYC because its an existing arrangement

If you listen to the track, you can hear Binary Sunset beginning in your head as the track ends

Weird though that Binary Sunset as it appears at the start of Finale isn't in the same key as the end of A New Home, as it was in Jedi Steps and Finale.

This might be useful as well, from Pawel P's post from the Complete Score as Heard in the Film thread:

End Credits, if I remember correctly, consist of::

- traditional fanfare

- one of the new epic themes,

- Imperial March,

- second of the new epic themes,

- Rey,

- something slower and climatic, also new

- new action theme 

- Rebel Fanfare

- traditional ending from New Hope.

The film's end credits are 9:25 long. The OST end credits more or less follow Pawel's guidelines there, but are 10:20 (once you subtract the Force Theme lead-in). 

0:00-0:32 - Force Theme (I believe this is either the same performance, or same orchestration, as the Last Jedi's end credits transition)

0:32-1:19 - Fanfare & transition

1:19-2:08 - We Go Together

2:08-3:25 - Anthem of Evil

3:25-4:52 - Imperial March

4:52-6:09 - Rey's Theme

6:09-7:32 - Rise of Skywalker

7:32-10:51 - Main Title (edit of '77 OST arrangement)

At first I thought just pulling out the Anthem of Evil section would essentially replicate Pawel's memory of what he heard, but that's too short. Also, I don't think Reunion could go in here anywhere, because Reunion contains too many very recognizable themes for them to have gone unlisted. But now I'm wondering if maybe Anthem of Evil is pulled out (the transition from that New Theme to Imperial March works with a really simple crossfade) and Speeder Chase is tracked in between Rey's Theme and Rise of Skywalker? 

(This is all sort of academic, we'll know exactly what it is in two days :)

2 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

The problems with the ending are that:

1. the Finale version of TROS Theme does not lead well into the trailing finish of the concert piece version

2. the concert piece version of TROS Theme is a different recording, and even differs in orchestration. It cannot be easily cut and merged with the other recording no matter where one begins.

The closest I have gotten is a cut at 7:30 leading into a longer string note of the concert piece. A jarring brass chord entry remains a problem there, but maybe someone more konwledgeable can find a way to mitigate that.

Ah yeah, I should have actually tried the edit first before being so precise! I wound up doing the same thing you did, at 7:30, with a crossfade lasting about 3/4s of a second. I dunno, it sounds fine to me, but maybe I just can't hear the harsh brass entry.

I'm really missing a satisfying finale on the OST. Don't know how else to put it. The Force Is With You doesn't quite hit the spot because it's all old themes, and Reunion is just a melange of old cues. 

Parents and Coming Together missing really hurts the album. 

The open and close of Speeder Chase was what I was referencing, specifically, as leading me to believe it was a Concert Suite. Sort of like the way Battle of the Heroes was turned into one?

Also, Speeder Chase being a concert suite might explain why it's not on the FYC at all? 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Here's a rough OST/FYC editing guide, following film order (or rather FYC order, since I haven't seen the film)

THE FILM SCORE

OST 01 Fanfare and Prologue    4:34

OST 02 Journey to Exegol    2:49

FYC 02 Falcon Flight    2:22

FYC 03 We Go Together    2:10 (or for a longer version, use OST 09 0:00-2:33, with the FYC's clean ending)... or just stick ALL of OST 09 here.

FYC 04 In the Desert    2:26

FYC 05 A Prisoner    1:23

FYC 06 To Kimiji    1:37

FYC 07 Fleeing from Kimiji    1:53 (or use OST 08 0:00-1:38, with the FYC's clean ending).. or just stick ALL of OST 08 here.

FYC 08 Hallway Shooting    2:11

FYC 09 Hard to Get Rid Of    2:19

OST 10 Join Me    3:42

OST 04 The Old Death Star 3:16 (for a longer version, can edit in FYC 11 [1:14-end] at OST 1:19)

OST 12 The Final Saber Duel 3:57 (for a longer version, can edit in FYC 13 [1:10-end] at OST 1:05)

OST 13 Battle of the Resistance 2:51

OST 14 Approaching The Throne 4:16 (FYC features a slightly different choral ending if you prefer that)

FYC 18 Parents    1:57
FYC 19 Coming Together    1:44

FYC 20 Seeing Sights    3:17
FYC 21 Rescue    1:10
 (Instead of FYC 20 & 21 can use OST 15 The Force Is With You, and you can restore a microedit at 3:16 with FYC 21 0:15-0:30)

OST 17 Reunion    4:04
OST 18 A New Home    1:47
OST 19 Finale    10:51

Concert Arrangements:

OST 03 The Rise of Skywalker    4:18
OST 07 Anthem of Evil    3:23

Additional film cues on the OST, that I cannot place chronologically because I haven't seen the film.  @Pawel P., any ideas?

OST 05 The Speeder Chase    3:21
OST 06 Destiny of a Jedi    5:12
OST 08B [1:38-end] Fleeing from Kijimi    1:14
OST 09B [2:33-end] We Go Together    0:44
OST 11 They Will Come    2:50

Updated Google Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VWApmUMfiSF9gvXb3LW9QloZO-St-ITFMF-qYaNN0fw

Meaning that we currently have around 105 minutes of the score?

I think "Destiny of a Jedi" is just before "Battle of the Resistance" 

"The Speeder Chase" is probably just before "In the Desert" 

Just guessing but I think "They Will Come" is just before Battle of the Resistance? 

They Will Come

Destiny of a Jedi

Battle of the Resistance

Might be the order. I'm going based off the plot leak and the marketing, plus the musical content itself hinting at what characters are where. 

Huh, I would have guessed The Speeder Chase was AFTER In The Desert, not before it

Destiny of a Jedi sounds like it could be multiple cues in one track, not sure

That seems likely for They Will Come

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Huh, I would have guessed The Speeder Chase was AFTER In The Desert, not before it

Destiny of a Jedi sounds like it could be multiple cues in one track, not sure

That seems likely for They Will Come

I initially thought Speeder Chase would come after "In the Desert" and before "A Prisoner" but chronologically, knowing what the Chase scores, I'm PRETTY sure that (plot leak spoilers follow) 

Spoiler

"In the Desert" is either scoring Rey confronting Kylo in the desert or all of them confronting the worm, and "A Prisoner" is probably scoring Chewie's capture and Rey's failed attempt to stop it. So the Chase has to go before that. 

Which is also why I'm putting They Will Come before Destiny of a Jedi, because (plot leak spoilers again) 

Spoiler

The decision to take THAT Yoda cue from Empire Strikes Back probably isn't random. 

But again, just a guess right now. But that'd probaly put my tracklisting at:

01 - Fanfare and Prologue
02 - Journey to Exegol
03 - Falcon Flight
04 - We Go Together
05 - The Speeder Chase
06 - In the Desert
07 - A Prisoner
08 - To Kijimi
09 - Fleeing from Kijimi
10 - Hallway Shooting
11 - Hard to Get Rid Of
12 - Join Me
13 - The Old Death Star
14 - The Final Saber Duel
15 - They Will Come
16 - The Destiny of a Jedi
17 - Battle of the Resistance
18 - Approaching the Throne
19 - Parents
20 - The Force is With You
21 - Farewell

22 - Reunion
23 - A New Home
24 - Finale
25 - Anthem of Evil (Concert Suite)
26 - The Rise of Skywalker (Concert Suite) 

1 hour ago, Ricard said:

Meaning that we currently have around 105 minutes of the score?

The OST is 76:32 and I counted 21:14 of unreleased music on the FYC (I haven't double-checked my math, so I hope it's right), which adds up to 97:46

I couldn't believe when I started comparing that there was over 20 minutes of music on the FYC that wasn't on the OST at all, including 9 entire tracks.  Amazing.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I couldn't believe when I started comparing that there was over 20 minutes of music on the FYC that wasn't on the OST at all, including 9 entire tracks.  Amazing.

Amazing....and GREAT! Shows that careful consideration has been put into the arrangement of the OST. A lot of the FYC material had a very 'filler'-like quality. Thank God we still have people like Williams who do this; it's becoming more and more rare, even for commercial soundtrack releases.

43 minutes ago, Ricard said:

Williams does not write "filler-like quality" music. Period.

While not every second of every score Williams has written is ESSENTIAL,  I do agree with this. Because I've heard some FILLER in the last ten-to-twenty years and Williams doesn't do that. Nothing is half-assed.

So John Williams…

Did we know this?? I read about it first in Jon Burlingame's story in Variety.

Also from Jon's story:

The famous "Star Wars" themes…return, along with four new motifs: the darkly hued "Anthem of Evil,"a more upbeat "Rise of Skywalker" theme, a scherzo for action sequences and new music for Kylo Ren (Adam Driver).

Guess that funky Falcon Flight motif is just a general action theme, similar to the TFA Falcon action motif. And the rising/falling motif, that would be Kylo's then?

I'm also guessing Jon is counting the trio theme as essentially The Rise of Skywalker's B theme? Which I suppose strengthens the case for it being a direct descendent of Rey's theme's main melody…

I saw the movie tonight and the score didn't make much of an impression on me.  Then again, neither did The Force Awakens -- I'm bad at paying attention to scores on first viewings.

And I hated the movie (The Rise of Skywalker, that is) so much there may never be a second.

7 minutes ago, Bryant Burnette said:

I saw the movie tonight and the score didn't make much of an impression on me.  Then again, neither did The Force Awakens -- I'm bad at paying attention to scores on first viewings.

And I hated the movie so much there may never be a second.

It was the opposite for me with TFA - the music was stunning and the three times I saw it in cinemas I was always captivated by the score.

27 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It was the opposite for me with TFA - the music was stunning and the three times I saw it in cinemas I was always captivated by the score.

It was the exact opposite for me with TFA. The shift in music felt like a betrayal worse than the copy-pasta plot (at least at the first viewing). Since then there are obviously parts I liked from the score, and even one I love, but music "as heard in the film" is something that I would rather forget.

53 minutes ago, Arpy said:

When I saw The Force Awakens a second time I was surprised by how great the music was; I simply didn't notice it the first time for whatever reason.  The movie itself, I loved; I think I was too wrapped up in the characters and whatnot.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ENDED UP HERE BY ACCIDENT.

****SPOILERS BELOW*****

I just saw it at a 10am showing in the Netherlands. In reference to an earlier post about a certain cameo that will "BLOW YOUR MIND". 

Yes, yes it did. That was nice. Blink and you will miss it.

The score seemed to blend well with what was on screen until the end when it started to be medley after medley. That actually pulled me out of the experience a bit because it felt cheap at the end of the first viewing.

As for the movie itself, I'm always conflicted after the first viewing. Lots of nice and lots of meh. This is why I am seeing it again in 30 minutes. :-)

The Evil theme is quite good. It has hints of Dracula and Harry Potter. This worked well on screen.

Also there were some harp phrases that matched the ones used when Lois Lane died in Superman. Once again, used for *a* death in this movie.

It did indeed seem like a mix of cues from Vader's death in ROTJ that were used in some of the DS2 scenes. The difference in quality was noticable and it just sounded like that performance. That was odd to me, but JJ also used old recordings in TFA. 

2 hours ago, aviazn said:

Did we know this?? I read about it first in Jon Burlingame's story in Variety.

Yes. We've been discussing it in the 'film spoiler' thread.

3 hours ago, DiscmanD131 said:

It did indeed seem like a mix of cues from Vader's death in ROTJ that were used in some of the DS2 scenes. The difference in quality was noticable and it just sounded like that performance. That was odd to me, but JJ also used old recordings in TFA. 

Ugh, that's really annoying.  I hope JW wrote something original for those scenes, and we either have it on the OST or we'll get it on a future expanded release.

I like JW's original cue in TFA for Rey catching the saber much more than the tracked in ANH piece

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ugh, that's really annoying.  I hope JW wrote something original for those scenes, and we either have it on the OST or we'll get it on a future expanded release.

I like JW's original cue for Rey catching the saber much more than the tracked in ANH piece

The saber catching in TFA was exactly what I was referring to. Yes it was like that but edited into something new like some kind of found art piece.. except it was jarring. I honestly thought how Lucasarts edited JW's score into the Jedi Knight 2 soundtrack was more cohesive. This and the usual butchery of JW's stuff was annoying. I also hope they make a collecters edition with nearly everything. Or at least another score only version of the film. 

Second viewing was better. :-)

I'd also like to add that my comments are to expand on what has already been said by other people here who have heard/seen it. I liked it, I just didn't want to post mostly the same stuff :-)

I don't believe Duel of the Fates is on the score anywhere. I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone who has seen the movie, so far. 

Still very curious about whether Farewell and Reunion are flip-flopped on the soundtrack compared to how they play in the movie, or whether reunion is in the movie proper at all.

I've also heard that the Main Title as we heard it in the Finale is actually IN the movie proper at a key moment? Anyone who has seen the movie - is that correct? 

54 minutes ago, Larry O said:

I don't believe Duel of the Fates is on the score anywhere. I haven't seen it mentioned by anyone who has seen the movie, so far. 

Still very curious about whether Farewell and Reunion are flip-flopped on the soundtrack compared to how they play in the movie, or whether reunion is in the movie proper at all.

I've also heard that the Main Title as we heard it in the Finale is actually IN the movie proper at a key moment? Anyone who has seen the movie - is that correct? 

Duel is not in the movie.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I can state that most of the speeder chase was not used in the movie. At least that's what I remember after seeing it twice today. It's possible it was hidden under sound effects.

37 minutes ago, DiscmanD131 said:

How spoilery can we get here? I can give exact moments in the tracks where some events happen.

Absolutely post everything last thing you want to say.  You can put it in a spoiler-block.

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Absolutely post everything last thing you want to say.  You can put it in a spoiler-block.

Spoiler

That joke in another thread about a piece of sheet music titled "Palpatines face pops" might we'll be accurate, lol.