The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

Rey Trains with the Lightsaber I can understand why they didn't put it on the OST. They probably thought "oh, it's just Rey's theme, finishing with Luke on the Island theme, people have already heard this before". The most egregious exclusions for me were Rey's Journey and Holdo's Resolve (yeah, I know, it was on the Finale, but that doesn't count). 

If I remember correctly, by the time we had the OST and the FYC of TLJ, there was still about an hour or more of missing music (before the score only version, of course). On TROS' case, I believe there will be less missing music from the film (about 30 to 40 minutes).

19 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Rey Trains with the Lightsaber I can understand why they didn't put it on the OST. They probably thought "oh, it's just Rey's theme, finishing with Luke on the Island theme, people have already heard this before". The most egregious exclusions for me were Rey's Journey and Holdo's Resolve (yeah, I know, it was on the Finale, but that doesn't count). 

If I remember correctly, by the time we had the OST and the FYC of TLJ, there was still about an hour or more of missing music (before the score only version, of course). On TROS' case, I believe there will be less missing music from the film (about 30 to 40 minutes).

Is Rey's Journey the cut scene where she is running to the village of those island inhabitants with her light saber? 

I am glad JW decided, even though JJ dropped it, to put it on the OST.

I wish he had done the same with the dropped snowspeeder chase scene from TFA

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

what about the Rise of Skywalker theme..is there any great unreleased statement of that?

you mean the theme at the end of farewell?

I think i heard it twice.

No unreleased statement..

Yes, the theme at the end of Farewell is the Rise of Skywalker theme, so named because the concert arrangement of it on the OST is track 3, "The Rise of Skywalker"

10 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Is Rey's Journey the cut scene where she is running to the village of those island inhabitants with her light saber? 

It's on the movie. It plays when Rey is flying from the Falcon until the Supremacy, infiltrating the ship, until she is discovered by Kylo himself. Williams scored it with some great trumpets, and it was inexplicably cut from the OST.

8 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

is it my imagination or there wasn't the speeder chase cue in the film?

So, does the speeder chase plays with no music, or with a music that it's not the one on the OST? Maybe an alternate Abrams decided to use on the movie, instead of the album version?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, the theme at the end of Farewell is the Rise of Skywalker theme, so named because the concert arrangement of it on the OST is track 3, "The Rise of Skywalker"

it's just that the Rise of skywalker track combines 2 themes.that's why i asked. The other theme is the trio theme.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So, does the speeder chase plays with no music, or with a music that it's not the one on the OST? Maybe an alternate Abrams decided to use on the movie, instead of the album version?

it plays with music but I'm not sure if it's anywhere. The sound FX were heavy.

Maybe after seeing the film I can think of different names to use for each theme.

Apparently  some people consider the trio theme to be the b section of the Rise of Skywalker theme but I don't know if that makes sense

Also, please verify someone, does the anthem of evil appear in the film (besides the end credits)?

I didn't hear it anywhere...

Just now, Jay said:

Apparently  some people consider the trio theme to be the b section of the Rise of Skywalker theme but I don't know if that makes sense

I'd say they are 2 different themes.

The trio theme is the theme from the new themes that appears most times I think. So definitely not a b section.

i can't believe Williams microedited out that part from the OST album version.  It belongs at Journey to Exegol at 2:33.

Also, the OST prologue section with the creepy strings (ala ROTJ) backing up Palpatines theme was used when Rey enters the...

Spoiler

Sith Monolith or whatever it's called, Grandpalpy's castle? You hear it as she walks past the cloning vats, etc.

The design and atmosphere for exogol was fantastic, especially the unnatural lightning sound effects.

There is a good chunk of material around the final battle that isn't in the FYC or OST. 

Ok some details on what is released:

Spoiler

On the OST track "the force is with you" you hear Reys theme on the piano twice. Then, as the Luke and Leia birth motif from ROTS plays you begin to hear the voices of all Jedi speaking to her, Luke, Anakin!, obi wan, qui gon, mace windu, Yoda, Ezra, Ahsoka, I swear I heard Kanan but didn't see Freddy Prinze Jr. In the credits. That made me cry, I'll admit. The moment was perfect. JW mystical theme, star field, voices of Jedi. Then, "Palpatines face pops"

Some fantastic Rey's theme material missing from both album and FYC, when she's training in the woods.

Maybe my favorite thing about this score outside of the big thematic stuff is how Kylo's theme transforms as the character transforms. First the heroic version, then the final sad statement as he crawls out of the pit and over to Rey.  Brilliant leitmotif work.

3 minutes ago, Jost1 said:

Some fantastic Rey's theme material missing from both album and FYC, when she's training in the woods.

Maybe my favorite thing about this score outside of the big thematic stuff is how Kylo's theme transforms as the character transforms. First the heroic version, then the final sad statement as he crawls out of the pit and over to Rey.  Brilliant leitmotif work.

Agreed. I also most miss Rey's theme..

Spoiler

After she dies and Finn senses her death. It ends with Ben's hand grasping the ledge.

So does anyone have a clue where these tracks belong chronologically?

OST 05 The Speeder Chase    3:21
OST 06 Destiny of a Jedi    5:12
OST 08B [1:38-end] Fleeing from Kijimi    1:14
OST 09B [2:33-end] We Go Together    0:44
OST 11 They Will Come    2:50

In other words, which cues would they go in between out of this list?

OST 01 Fanfare and Prologue    4:34

OST 02 Journey to Exegol    2:49

FYC 02 Falcon Flight    2:22

FYC 03 We Go Together    2:10 / OST 09A 0:00-2:33 We Go Together

FYC 04 In the Desert    2:26

FYC 05 A Prisoner    1:23

FYC 06 To Kimiji    1:37

FYC 07 Fleeing from Kimiji    1:53  / OST 08A 0:00-1:38 Fleeing From Kijimi

FYC 08 Hallway Shooting    2:11

FYC 09 Hard to Get Rid Of    2:19

OST 10 Join Me    3:42

OST 04 The Old Death Star 3:16 / FYC 11 The Old Death Star & FYC 12 Off The Waterfront

OST 12 The Final Saber Duel 3:57 / FYC 13 Sabel Duel / FYC 14 Healing Wounds

FYC 15 Advice

OST 13 Battle of the Resistance 2:51

OST 14 Approaching The Throne 4:16 / FYC 14 Approaching The Throne

FYC 18 Parents    1:57
FYC 19 Coming Together    1:44

FYC 20 Seeing Sights    3:17 / OST 15A The Force Is With You
FYC 21 Rescue    1:10 / OST 15B The Force Is With You

OST 17 Reunion    4:04
OST 18 A New Home    1:47
OST 19 Finale    10:51

@Larry O already speculated The Speeder Chase goes before In The Desert, and that They Will Comes goes before Destiny of a Jedi which goes before Battle of the Resistance, but other opinions are welcome, especially since I don't think it's been discussed where Advice belongs

1 minute ago, Jay said:

So does anyone have a clue where these tracks belong chronologically?

OST 08B [1:38-end] Fleeing from Kijimi    1:14
OST 09B [2:33-end] We Go Together    0:44

In other words, which cues would they go in between out of this list?

OST 01 Fanfare and Prologue    4:34

OST 02 Journey to Exegol    2:49

FYC 02 Falcon Flight    2:22

FYC 03 We Go Together    2:10 / OST 09A 0:00-2:33 We Go Together

-  OST 05 The Speeder Chase    3:21  -  But largely does not play in the film

FYC 04 In the Desert    2:26

FYC 05 A Prisoner    1:23

FYC 06 To Kimiji    1:37

FYC 07 Fleeing from Kimiji    1:53  / OST 08A 0:00-1:38 Fleeing From Kijimi

FYC 08 Hallway Shooting    2:11

FYC 09 Hard to Get Rid Of    2:19

OST 10 Join Me    3:42

OST 04 The Old Death Star 3:16 / FYC 11 The Old Death Star & FYC 12 Off The Waterfront

OST 12 The Final Saber Duel 3:57 / FYC 13 Sabel Duel / FYC 14 Healing Wounds

- OST 06 Destiny of a Jedi    5:12 -  

OST 13 Battle of the Resistance 2:51

- OST 11 They Will Come    2:50 - 

OST 14 Approaching The Throne 4:16 / FYC 14 Approaching The Thronr

FYC 18 Parents    1:57
FYC 19 Coming Together    1:44

FYC 20 Seeing Sights    3:17 / OST 15A The Force Is With You
FYC 21 Rescue    1:10 / OST 15B The Force Is With You

OST 17 Reunion    4:04
OST 18 A New Home    1:47
OST 19 Finale    10:51

Inserted a few where I think they belong

Of course, which is why I'm hoping lots of people chime in and we get a consensus!

I don't see the film for another 30 hours so can't help out until then

Got back from the movie. JW's music was good in context, especially some of the latter emotional parts. I also like that some action cues were a little less chaotic than what he tends to write lately (thinking of A New Alliance in TLJ). My main grief was the overuse of the Force Theme, maybe even worse than in TLJ; sadly I fell it decreases the impact of the few scenes where it would be really appropriate (such as the Finale).

The main omissions from the OST and the FYC that I can remember were the training music for Rey like Jost1 said, and also some big statements of Luke's Theme and bits of the classic fanfare at a pivotal moment of the final battle. I also suspects we're missing several statements of Rey's Theme.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Interesting, so @Larry O thinks They Will Come goes before Battle of the Resistance, but @Jost1 thinks it goes after!

I'm pretty sure the March of the Resistance in They Will Come plays during the preparation montage before the final battle; but the music in the film ends like the concert piece, and not with the Rise of Skywalker Theme.

6 minutes ago, eitam said:

I'm pretty sure the March of the Resistance in They Will Come plays during the preparation montage before the final battle; but the music in the film ends like the concert piece, and not with the Rise of Skywalker Theme.

Yes, "March of the Resistance" plays out in its fullest, most fanfaric version of the sequels over the preparations montage.

On first listen, I thought maybe 0:00-1:30 and 1:30-end were two different cues smashed together into one track, but maybe there's another segue within the track, at 2:10 also?  So it's 3 cues in one track, from 3 different parts of the film?

Just came home from seeing the movie. It was good, way better than I expected.

They really retconned a lot that Rian Johnson did, which I was really happy about. They should never have gone so far out on that one, but they tied the three trilogies together in the best way possible in this one.

The music throughout was awesome. If JW doesn’t get an Oscar for this, I can’t even.

A few things...

- ‘Lesson 2’ from TLJ was tracked in.

- I also heard that bit of music that’s in both TPM and TFA but it was in a different key..?

- The speeder chase basically wasn’t there which is a disgrace considering how cool that track is. What’s MORE strange is that it was in the 30 sec clip from a month ago but apparently JJ messed around with it afterwards...?

- Yoda’s theme and Luke and Leia in the Reunion made no sense at all, but it was beautiful.

I’m happy that Williams was able to convey in the track ‘Rise of Skywalker’ everything that the movie wanted to convey, much like he did with the prequels.

Saw the film tonight at a midnight showing. That cameo still has me grinning. 

Some genuinely beautiful moments in the score. Looking forward to seeing it again on Saturday so I can focus a little more on the music. Walked home from the cinema listening to the end credits on spotify. Quite a thing to take it all in. This is the end of John's amazing Star Wars journey. 

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The ray training scene after seeing it had some great music especially variations of rays theme. Is it no where to be found 

Spoiler

OST track 1 @1:48 this is where we get our first shot of Grandpalpy's castle on Exogol. It is the same as the first shot we see of it in that trailer from a few days ago where Palpatine explains that he is the voice in Kylo Rens head. This was an excellently creepy sequence. We haven't seen anything like it in Star Wars save for Korriban in the Knights of the Old Republic game. That doesn't even compare. Everything about Exogol is, as palpatine would say, unnatural.

I can also state that, sadly, the cool choral opening to the Anthem of Evil is heard nowhere in the film. 🙁

About this post:

10 hours ago, DiscmanD131 said:

Agreed. I also most miss Rey's theme..

Hide contents

After she dies and Finn senses her death. It ends with Ben's hand grasping the ledge.

I am pleased to correct this. I was completely wrong. The cue that I spoke of in the spoiler block is the beginning of track 16 in the OST. Enjoy!

A little off topic but in reference to the ...

Spoiler

"Vader's Death" cues used in the DS2 scenes...  Has anyone discussed previously in the other threads about the recording quality of the ROTS score? I always found it to be a bit... stuffy or muffled compared to The first two film scores.  For ROTJ I have all of the versions ever released publicly and they all seem to have this character to them. Does anyone know any specifics about the equipment used to record that score? Also I have listend to each of them on my reference D-131 (I know, I'm obsessive :-)  ) and my Cambridge Audio Audiophile DAC.

1 hour ago, DiscmanD131 said:

A little off topic but in reference to the ...

Hide contents

"Vader's Death" cues used in the DS2 scenes...  Has anyone discussed previously in the other threads about the recording quality of the ROTS score? I always found it to be a bit... stuffy or muffled compared to The first two film scores.  For ROTJ I have all of the versions ever released publicly and they all seem to have this character to them. Does anyone know any specifics about the equipment used to record that score? Also I have listend to each of them on my reference D-131 (I know, I'm obsessive :-)  ) and my Cambridge Audio Audiophile DAC.

Have a read of Chris Malone's fantastic article - http://www.malonedigital.com/starwars.htm

Love the part at 1:43 in Fanfare and Prologue, when you first see Kylo's fighter approach the Sith Temple. Sounds so sinister! The brass in this score has a really robust sound to it!

8 hours ago, Remco said:

A few things...

- ‘Lesson 2’ from TLJ was tracked in.

- I also heard that bit of music that’s in both TPM and TFA but it was in a different key..?

- The speeder chase basically wasn’t there which is a disgrace considering how cool that track is. What’s MORE strange is that it was in the 30 sec clip from a month ago but apparently JJ messed around with it afterwards...?

- Yoda’s theme and Luke and Leia in the Reunion made no sense at all, but it was beautiful.

I’m happy that Williams was able to convey in the track ‘Rise of Skywalker’ everything that the movie wanted to convey, much like he did with the prequels.

Could the Speeder Chase clip have been from an older cut of the film, since rescored by Williams? Because the music that was there, I couldn't recognize at first viewing.