The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

7 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

Have a read of Chris Malone's fantastic article - http://www.malonedigital.com/starwars.htm

OH WOW. Thank you, Sir.

The document actually mentions one cue that I found very stuffy:

Spoiler

...The cue that accompanied Lando Calrissian’s flight through the inner workings of the Death Star (titled “Superstructure Chase” on the Special Edition CDs) was not recorded at Abbey Road. “We had to go to Olympic for a day and record there,” explained Eric Tomlinson. “And we filled the studio so full – we even had to put the piano on end so that we could get the last cello players in!” 49 Olympic Sound Studios were located at 117 Church Rd in Barnes, London. Studio 1 was 62 feet by 42 feet with a 28 foot ceiling. Equipment at Olympic included a custom made 24-input wrap-around console together with custom speakers and amplifiers designed by studio manager and chief engineer, Keith Grant. The microphone cabinet was stocked AKG, Neumann, Pearl and Telefunken types. The orchestra in the “Superstructure Chase” sounds reduced in trumpets, horns and woodwinds and several performance errors can be detected that are not readily audible in the film. “I went down to talk to John Williams while he was conducting,” recalled Tomlinson. “And he just leaned over and said ’it’s like conducting a silent film!’ He couldn’t hear a damn thing in there.” 50...

1 minute ago, Jim Ware said:

First thoughts:

• Rey's Theme is much more prominent in the film than it is on the album
  • Many orchestral variations on Palpatine's Theme in the first half of the film
  • The Speeder Chase seems to have been partially revised and partially dialled out
  • Williams' cameo is fun (and the source music in that scene is called 'Oma's Place')
  • The Knights of Ren (woefully underused in the film) have some wild staccato brass writing

More later when my brain starts working again.

Hell yeah the rythmic motif (I think it was a motif?) for the Knights of Ren was really awesome. Made them seem really threatening.

1 minute ago, Jost1 said:

Hell yeah the rythmic motif (I think it was a motif?) for the Knights of Ren was really awesome. Made them seem really threatening.

There's some development of this in the end credits (before the Imperial March kicks in).

13 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

First thoughts:

• Rey's Theme is much more prominent in the film than it is on the album
  • Many orchestral variations on Palpatine's Theme in the first half of the film
  • The 'rising/falling' motif is initially associated with the Sith Wayfinder, but becomes more broadly associated with the search for Exegol
  • The Speeder Chase seems to have been partially revised and partially dialled out
  • Williams' cameo is fun (and the source music in that scene is called 'Oma's Place')
  • The Knights of Ren (woefully underused in the film) have some wild staccato brass writing

More later when my brain starts working again.

I liked the apparent joke that while Lin Manuel Miranda was handling the source musical duties, Johnny could tend bar. 

3 hours ago, DiscmanD131 said:

A little off topic but in reference to the ...

Reveal hidden contents

I couldn't stand the way they tinkered with that cue in the film, moving things all over the place. Not very professional. 

1 hour ago, Jost1 said:

so I'm guessing this motif is all unreleased

8 hours ago, Potterhead said:

The ray training scene after seeing it had some great music especially variations of rays theme. Is it no where to be found 

I like it too, but, as I said, I can understand why JW chose not to put it in there. He probably thought people were already familiar with both themes (Rey and Luke on the Island), and instead wanted to highlight the new material, what he understood that score brought to the lexicum of the music for the saga: Rose's Theme, Rebellion is Reborn, Canto Bight, Chrome Dome, The Battle of Crait, The Spark, The Last Jedi, etc.

That said, the utter exclusion of Holdo's Theme is pretty weird. For the official OST, I would've changed, for example, Lesson One (a track I never liked) for Holdo's Resolve.

1 minute ago, eitam said:

Yes, that very short snippet when the Knights are standing on top of a peak in the desert on Passana was one of the coolest moments of the score. 

Totally agree! Not on either of the albums sadly :(

I don't think we've seen a Star Wars movie with this much editing in the score since Attack of the Clones. Not that I have a specific number or anything, it just feels like it.

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Did anybody find it strange Williams quoted Darth Vader's death?

Karol

Nah it made sense to me, it was more the musical echo of the location they were in, than a reference to Vader himself. 

41 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Did anybody find it strange Williams quoted Darth Vader's death?

Karol

Sounded like its was the ROTJ recording to me, so I think it was tracked.

Also, as others have pointed out, the theme from High Council Meeting on TPM and Finn's confession from TFA is heard once again, as is the mistery arpeggio thing from AOTC

Yes all reports indicated Darth Vader's Death was the ROTJ recording tracked in.

Here's hoping JW wrote something original for the scenes it was used in, and we either already have it on the OST, or it will turn up on a future expanded edition

1 hour ago, Jost1 said:

I don't think we've seen a Star Wars movie with this much editing in the score since Attack of the Clones. Not that I have a specific number or anything, it just feels like it.

The way filming went, and editing to the last second, I'm not surprised. It was foreseeable, actually. 

3 hours ago, eitam said:

Yes, that very short snippet when the Knights are standing on top of a peak in the desert on Passana was one of the coolest moments of the score. 

I read J.J. explicitly stating that he gave Williams extremely few directions, nearly no directions, this time around. But when they stand on the big damn rock overseeing the horizon, it felt like James Newton Howard's 

Which wouldn't be the first time when I suspect J.J. of asking Williams to write like JNH's Disney scores.

There are plenty of cool Knights of Ren music moments, none of them on the OST or FYC. They even might have a motif, although I am not sure about that.

Other than those, my favourite moments not on the OST are:

1. a treacherously serene woodwind version of Emperor's Theme playing at one point when Rey is afraid of the dark side, the same way Rey's Theme usually would.

2. Full version of the March of the Resistance "remix" playing in the preparations scene

3. Some of the space battle music, which I believe is still missing.

Is the AOTC music heard in the movie related to Kamino material by any chance? Or the just the arpeggio mystery motif for Obi-Wan's investigations and Anakin's arrival to Tatooine in search of his mother?

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

Just the arpeggio, I think. Seemed to be a new recording, as it is surrounded by new material

Does this music have any thematic significance in this film? References to any clones or otherwise?

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Does this music have any thematic significance in this film? References to any clones or otherwise?

It appears in a scene with Zorii Bliss and Poe at Kimiji. Nothing referential as far as I remember. There are a couple of traces of prequel temp love elsewhere.

There's a lot more tracking than I thought there would be. Off the top of my head, there was the opening to TFA, the Emepror's Theme portion of ROTS' Birth of the Twins, and ROTJ's Vader's Death.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I just want to know if Advice goes before or after Destiny of a Jedi

Sorry I didn't have a more definitive answer!

44 minutes ago, Romão said:

No really. It might even be somewhat accidental

It's EXACTLY the same arpeggio though, it's probably just a nice callback without much significance

Is it true this clip from a month ago features more score than ultimately ended up being heard in the final cut?

Star Trek has less edits than The Force Awakens, I believe.

Star Trek Into Darkness and Super 8 have very little editing

Mission Impossible 3 didn't have too much I don't think