The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

23 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

It's easier and quicker to write bad music than good music.

Yeah I was NOT saying that Giacchino is better, he is several steps below Williams. But he can churn out music is what I meant.

Fore those who has seen the film, I have a few questions:

1. How is the score during Han Solo's scene?
  2. Are there more of Emperor's Theme in the film than on the OST and FYC?
  3. What does Yoda's Theme and Luke And Leia in Reunion represent in the film?

11 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

Fore those who has seen the film, I have a few questions:

1. How is the score during Han Solo's scene?
  2. Are there more of Emperor's Theme in the film than on the OST and FYC?
  3. What does Yoda's Theme and Luke And Leia in Reunion represent in the film?

1. Don't remember. It could have even been silent, like a lot of the duel before it. Or maybe it was the Force theme? Definitely not Han and The Princess :P 

2. Yes, as I mentioned, especially a beautiful woodwind version for Rey.

4. Luke and Leia is just a symbol of love and friendship, and Yoda's Theme --- joy.

Some of the theme uses that were weird on the context-less OST, make more sense once you see the film and hear how they fit emotionally.

1 minute ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

1. Don't remember. It could have even been silent, like a lot of the duel before it.

2. Yes, as I mentioned, especially a beautiful woodwind version for Rey.

4. Luke's ghost pulling his X-wing out of the ocean, whereas Luke and Leia is just a symbol of love and friendship.

1. I have trouble remembering too, but isn't that where Advice plays?

3. If we're talking about the Reunion track, Yoda's Theme (which appears without the "bridge" in the movie I think) and Luke & Leia have no particular relevance to the scenes they underscore, as someone else mentioned earlier, I guess Williams just wanted a little medley. And it works better than I feared in the movie.

ahem - sorry if this has been posted before, but...I was just reading an article in the Variety and saw this:

Spoiler

"Williams also makes a cameo appearance in the film." - is that a joke?
https://variety.com/2019/artisans/production/john-williams-star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-1203446034/

4 minutes ago, Dzadza said:

ahem - sorry if this has been posted before, but...I was just reading an article in the Variety and saw this:

Spoiler

"Williams also makes a cameo appearance in the film." - is that a joke?
https://variety.com/2019/artisans/production/john-williams-star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-1203446034/

It's true, all of it

Instead of ruining that moment for others who don't want to know ahead of time, discuss it here.

49 minutes ago, publicist said:

4/4 ostinato patterns are much easier to write (and cut).

Though I will say that a proper evil march like Giacchino did for Rogue One would help the soundtrack a lot. 

*ducks and runs*

I moved it because he posted it in the thread discussing the album, but his entire post was not about the album

24 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Though I will say that a proper evil march like Giacchino did for Rogue One would help the soundtrack a lot. 

*ducks and runs*

Neo-JWFans 10 years from now will be very confused what this "Anthony Daniels March" is.

well there is sort of an evil march at the end of Anthem of Evil and 2.06 of Finale. Is it more developed in the film?

there's a few notes simlar to the Anthony Daniels march so I wonder if it was based on that (Like TLJ had altered versions of The Spark in commercials)

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Maybe that's the material for the Knights of Ren that people have mentioned as being unreleased?

No the Knights of Ren material is almost primal, Planet of the Apes, loud brass and percussion

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe that's the material for the Knights of Ren that people have mentioned as being unreleased?

I'm really curious about that but won;t see the film until saturday

1 minute ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Before.

Great!  Thank you!

And does They Will Come go before Advice, after Advice, or after Destiny of a Jedi?

After about 8 FYC and 5 OST listens, I tried following the chrono list (thanks for the quick efforts, @Jay!). I did not expect anything major, certainly no falling in love with it over again as when I heard it for the first time. But I got it. A lot of it works sooooooooooo well here! Already the Prologue-Journey to Exogol-Falcon Flight trio is a fantastic opening setpiece, We Go Together flows brilliantly into Speeder Chase, we still get all the FYC tracks so it's not nearly as back-heavy as the OST, we get the more rounded final confrontation thing, too...

One thing I'll do for the listening experience is switch Farewell and Reunion - I suspect R will pick up Rescue's triumphant but open ending much better than the restrained F, and F just goes great with New Home. Put Anthem of Evil after the credits and Rise of Skywalker at the very end where it belongs, a bow on the package.

I really like TFA's OST and it doesn't have that many missing highlights, most of the rest is underscore and 25.000.000 alternates. TLJ is what it is, when it's good, it's great, you just have to get to it. Based on just this listen I suspect IX might work best on the eventual complete release?

Already the Prologue-Journey to Exogol-Falcon Flight trio is a fantastic opening setpiece,

Yes!

We Go Together flows brilliantly into Speeder Chase

Yes!

we get the more rounded final confrontation thing, too...

Yes!

Put Anthem of Evil after the credits and Rise of Skywalker at the very end where it belongs, a bow on the package.

Yes!

I really like TFA's OST and it doesn't have that many missing highlights, most of the rest is underscore and 25.000.000 alternates. TLJ is what it is, when it's good, it's great, you just have to get to it. Based on just this listen I suspect IX might work best on the eventual complete release?

Hard to say, I think TFA will have lots of surprises in store, and things will gel together better when we get a better sense of what he was originally going for.

Don't know much for TROS yet since I haven't seen the film, but from the early reports it seems we're missing some major things he does in the full score, so I'm looking forward to hearing that.  As it is I'm very thankfully to finally start right away with 95 minutes for a change.

I have to admit that there was a couple of places in the movie that I almost couldn't handle, emotionally. Biggest one was ending of that track The Destiny of Jedi. Lovely rendition of that new wonderful theme followed by the Yoda's theme and what happened in the screen😪😪 As a teen teen I listened/watched that swamp scene so many times that I think I broke my VHS copy. And now it was there with brilliant sound😍😍😍

8 minutes ago, Jost1 said:

TFA is honestly a perfect start to a new trilogy. I can't find fault with it. 5 stars from me. 

Both TLJ and TROS are strong 4 stars

I would say that TFA started perfectly very stong trilogy. And the next ones made it even more perfect. 5 stars for all of them. 

13 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Man, the sessions of this score need to leak :|

Geez, I’ll receive the CD tomorrow... you guys are so discouraging.

6 minutes ago, King Mark said:

oh, is the theme Han Solo and the Princess in this movie?

Two cues are litterally a collection of memories, on the OST. But Han and The Princess... I don’t think it's there.

5 minutes ago, Drew said:

Did anyone notice that the Speeder Chase music placement was a little different than the clip from a few weeks ago?

Yep!

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Is it true this clip from a month ago features more score than ultimately ended up being heard in the final cut?

9 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

Yes.

9 hours ago, Jost1 said:

More, or different score. There was music there, just not this. 

9 hours ago, Jay said:

JJ loves to tinker!

* Holy moly, there's so much unreleased ear candy with Rey's Theme

* I liked the delicate statements of the Palpatine theme near the first half.

* Was the Darth Vader's Death music tracked or re-recorded?

Yikes, the score barely audio for about 80% of the movie at my theater. However, the scenes where the music was allowed to shine was very powerful. It was very disappointing that the desert chase music was changed/dialed out/tracked or whatever they did but I did hear a bit of the regular track when the sound effects weren’t overbearing.

Supposedly Darth Vader's Death is tracked. 

Here's hoping JW wrote something original for the scene its used in that is either already on the OST, or will be on a future expanded release! 

I'm in the theater now, waiting for the show to start! It's 10:26, the showtime is 10:40, and there's only 7 other people here. It's opening night! Is this movie going to bomb? 

I'm very excited to see the context for this great score I've been listening to! 

so your saying the music is badly mixed for most of the movie?

Just now, Jay said:

I'm in the theater now, waiting for the show to start! It's 10:26, the showtime is 10:40, and there's only 7 other people here. It's opening night! Is this movie going to bomb? 

whaaaa?

Mine was half full for the first IMAX showing. I don’t think it’ll bomb. It’ll probably do TLJ numbers.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Supposedly Darth Vader's Death is tracked. 

Here's hoping JW wrote something original for the scene its used in that is either already on the OST, or will be on a future expanded release! 

It kind of sounded like a new recording to me or they modified the original recording. It actually works for the scene. The AOTC music sounded new as well but I don’t think it was deliberate on JW part.