The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm in the theater now, waiting for the show to start! It's 10:26, the showtime is 10:40, and there's only 7 other people here. It's opening night! Is this movie going to bomb? 

I definitely think it is going to disappoint at the BO. I would wager it makes less money than even TLJ.

Lucas didn't build this franchise to usher in a new era for cinema. You think he wants to go to the stars? He doesn't even like to fly! He takes trains!

There were several variations of prequel cues I noticed in the film. "Return to Tatooine" and "Interior Tipoca City" were definitely used as temp material, and copied quite closely. The beginning of "Birth of the Twins", which was used twice in the film, I can confirm is the exact recording from ROTS. It was not a re-recording. It was surprising hearing prequel music in this film, and I enjoyed it, even though it was tracked. There was at least one cue ("Darth Vader's Death") used as well when Rey enters the throne room.

Not reused material, but I liked that unreleased DOTF-sounding choral piece when Rey decides to "join" Palpatine.

EDIT: I can't recall where, but a small section of "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan" was also used towards the beginning of the film, and it was definitely a new recording.

Just got back from the film. The score is featured VERY prominently in the mix and is especially effective in the 3rd act. Parts in the FYC and OST that seem a little rough end up working really well in the film. Honestly, there were moments in the 3rd act where I thought "this music is perfect for this!"

The movie itself was fun, mostly satisfying, pretty choppy in pace, more than a little ridiculous in many parts, and ultimately a good, if super sappy end to the sequel trilogy. 

Beyond what is in the OST, there is a variation on some Return to Tatooine music from AOTC and a reprise of TPM conversation/Finn's Confession music AND some kick ass Luke's Theme/Star Wars theme music that was wonderful to hear during the film. 

The score is powerful.

was it the music that was badly edited or the film?

Other question :Is there unreleased variations of the Rise of Skywalker themes (trio theme and Farewell)?

I would so buy an Oma Tres toy.

Regarding the sound mix, I saw the movie in an IMAX theater so that may have helped the presence of the score. The only parts where the score wasn't loud in the mix were with certain moments of sound effects takeover and where the music was intentionally dialed out, such as the speeder chase.

1 minute ago, artguy360 said:

I would so buy an Oma Tres toy.

Regarding the sound mix, I saw the movie in an IMAX theater so that may have helped the presence of the score. The only parts where the score wasn't loud in the mix were with certain moments of sound effects takeover and where the music was intentionally dialed out, such as the speeder chase.

I agree with this. I think the score is for there for you to hear throughout if you want. Only during some chase scenes did the sound effects overpower it but I would say for the most part i was pleased with the mix. The score makes its presence felt for sure.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

There were several variations of prequel cues I noticed in the film. "Return to Tatooine" and "Interior Tipoca City" were definitely used as temp material, and copied quite closely. The beginning of "Birth of the Twins", which was used twice in the film, I can confirm is the exact recording from ROTS. It was not a re-recording. It was surprising hearing prequel music in this film, and I enjoyed it, even though it was tracked. There was at least one cue ("Darth Vader's Death") used as well when Rey enters the throne room.

Not reused material, but I liked that unreleased DOTF-sounding choral piece when Rey decides to "join" Palpatine.

EDIT: I can't recall where, but a small section of "Anakin vs. Obi-Wan" was also used towards the beginning of the film, and it was definitely a new recording.

I've noted them as well except for Interior Tipoca City, where does it plays ?

I've also noted the exact Emperor's theme from the scene where he transports Vader into the "armor" chamber

Edit : Just realised it's Birth of the Twins haha. I don't know why I always associated it with the last track instead of A New Hope.

I'm pretty sure I heard A New Hope somewhere though. Might have been dreaming.

The Speeder Chase isn't in the film, an alternate cue is used. The Anthem of evil is used only in underscore. Title track theme is used very well though, and brings proper emotions to already powerful scenes. The score is good, idk how i feel about how its used though. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm in the theater now, waiting for the show to start! It's 10:26, the showtime is 10:40, and there's only 7 other people here. It's opening night! Is this movie going to bomb? 

I also saw it opening night, at 9, the room wasn’t even half full!

1 hour ago, JacksonElmore said:

The Speeder Chase isn't in the film, an alternate cue is used. The Anthem of evil is used only in underscore. Title track theme is used very well though, and brings proper emotions to already powerful scenes. The score is good, idk how i feel about how its used though. 

The Speeder Chase cue isn't in the film? What the fuck?

22 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

However, I was surprised by just how much music we're apparently missing! It seems like many of what I might even consider "the best parts" didn't end up on either the OST or the FYC. Really too bad.

:(

15 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Had a very difficult time hearing the score at my showing of the film. Quite disappointed it didn't seem to be represented more in the mix, but might have just been my theater's sound system. 

It must have been, the score was very loud where I saw it

I like the score. It is somewhat different from previous two. It feels more like a fantasy music with all these operatic grand gestures than more streamlined and contained TFA and TLJ. The emotions are broader and that's encapsulated in the new themes too. It's grandly melodramatic which actually feels fitting. I like how he manages to come up with fresh variations on the old themes as well. There might be few too many statements of Force theme in the film and there are some literal nods to music from past films. But most of it, especially the Reunion, works quite well.

I'm not sure how I feel yet about the listening experience as presented on album but I do enjoy all the music on it.

We need an expanded set.

Karol

Just now, Stefancos said:

Straight away? Or a few years from now? You're already done digesting 77 minutes of new music?

Oh not now. Don't be silly. Next week!

Karol

5 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Another observation: I LOVE how Kylo Ren's theme is used in this film.

I agree and yet it feels like a lot of that usage and development isn't on the OST. Thankfully some of it is on the FYC. 

I'm now glad we got the FYC so early because some of my most memorable cues from the film are on the FYC but not the OST. They both needed a lot more of Rey's theme though.

The Rise of Skywalker is a transformative experience.

Trapped in the latest culture war, Rey and Ben never received any real character development. But Williams has been telling a story of love through his themes since The Force Awakens. Both Rey and Ben’s themes quote Across the Stars. They start out as the antithesis of one another. But in The Rise of Skywalker or Star Wars: Episode IX – Beauty and the BeastRey and Ben’s themes sound so tired by the end of the film, that you begin to really understand and appreciate how the themes mirror and compliment each other, how they love each other. For those who are hesitant about The Rise of Skywalker, watch the film and experience a beautiful musical narrative of love. On the surface, the film is cheesy, but the music tells a worthy love story on its own. 

I never understood people’s obsession for Reylo, but after seeing the film twice, I understand why some fans may see the sequel trilogy as a Starwarsian retelling of La Belle et la Bête. 

:)

16 minutes ago, starwarsfan421 said:

Has anyone listened to the OST and FYC enough to know which tracks form the FYC are not on the OST?

Also can anyone put both albums into chronological order yet?

Check out the main post of this thread here.

8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The movie is hot trash.

But the score works beautifully and is the best thing about it.

My biggest gripe - seriously JJ couldn't time the cut for the procession of the resistance aircraft to the crescendo of Farewell.

4:20 should have co-incided with a cut. That's editing 101. It would make the music much more memorable in the mind of the public. 

Currently, you have the close-up of Poe and suddenly the music crescendos on his face without a cut. 

Piss poor from JJ. Not letting of JW's best moments shine properly.

This is where people would feel JJ didn’t do enough. This film feels rushed, like his first Star Trek.

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Have you guys noticed the beginning of both Emperor's theme and Rey's theme is very similar?

Karol

Yes I always thought that and wondered if there was a reason for it. Anthem of Evil seemed even more clearly related to Rey when I first heard it.

18 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Have you guys noticed the beginning of both Emperor's theme and Rey's theme is very similar?

Karol

I noticed this when watching the film, after the revelation. It very evident in the first few notes in the main section of Rey's Theme. This makes me wonder if certain story elements planned or discussed with Williams early on.

3 minutes ago, Alan said:

Yes I always thought that and wondered if there was a reason for it. Anthem of Evil seemed even more clearly related to Rey when I first heard it.

fitting for a character who salvages parts from Star Destroyers

3 minutes ago, starwarsfan421 said:

I noticed this when watching the film, after the revelation. It very evident in the first few notes in the main section of Rey's Theme. This makes me wonder if certain story elements planned or discussed with Williams early on.

Judging by the film the clearly weren't. 

Williams could have cleverly reverse engineered it though.