The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

17 minutes ago, Romão said:

This is from another forum, but might help shed some light on what was shot, edited and maybe eventually scored and cut from the movie:

Since I was following spoilers during the production and after, maybe that sheds some light on what was going on:

they filmed parts where it's revealed that Lando had a daughter who was stolen by FO. That daughter was Jannah. That part is removed from the final cut.

They filmed several versions of the ending, basically the same Lars/Tatoine thing with Rey Skywalker line, yellow saber, Luke&Leia sabers funeral, and Luke&Leia FGs, but with some minor tweaks. One version, that was originally leaked, had Rey join Finn, Poe, Jannah, Chewie, 3PO, R2, BB8 and D0 to watch the binary sunset. I don't know whether JJ&LFL realized that was terrible (likely) or Internet uproar, over the presence of characters who had fuck to do with Luke and Tatooine, forced their hand (unlikely), but about a week before the premiere, someone who saw the movie leaked that the ending was just Rey with BB8. That version turned out to be true and may be the reason why some cast members are salty in interviews and why cast gave that weird (though staged) response to the question about the last scene. Actors are sensitive to getting their lines/scenes cut and they all want to be in big moments. But the version that was mockingly called "group selfie with twin suns" always felt like a placeholder or JJ's attempt to fan service the cast that wanted to be seen on the iconic set. 

Wayfinbder (pyramid) that Kylo finds in a tomb/chest/whatever was originally given him by the Oracle, a strange alien who was a spider attached to the head of a giant elf baby residing in the swamp. They made the oracle prop (seen in one of BTS) and supposedly filmed the scene but then cut it out. 

In the original leak, Kylo's pitfall was the last of him creating Reddit meme "never to be seen again". Most fans figured that couldn't have been his end so what follows in the movie is likely something they filmed really hush hush (so it didn't leak) rather than reshoot change (Driver wasn't even available at the time do to festival circle). 

Finn and Rose were a couple (including Rose's jealousy of Jannah) but that was removed.

They wanted to have a running gag of Finn trying to tell Rey something but getting consistently interrupted. Nothing leaked about what the payoff was, what he wanted to say. They removed it except that one line during quicksand scene so that feels like a leftover they frogot about rather than something they wanted in the movie. 

Early leaks had Matt Smith as a young acolyte willingly possessed by Palpatine. Kylo kills him but Palaptine possess him so Kylo asks Rey to kill him for palaptine couldn't possess Rey. She obliges thus destroying Palp. It seems that there's something to Matt S,ith rumor for a costume department worker was fired over leaking description of Smith in black hooded robes with a red saber. Also, a lot of different sources, including VF's Lev Grossman have heard Smith was indeed in the movie. 

The forging of Kylo's saber was longer and had KoR perform almost dance-like ritual. That full scene was the part of 4 min show reel for crew that JJ personally cut.

It seems that, at one point, Force Flash Fight (Rey and Kylo fighting from different locations) extended to planets from all 9 movies. They were fighting by teleporting themselves from iconic planet to iconic planet. That was abandoned.

Young Luke and Leia training was originally meant to open the movie followed by Rey's training. It was Leia's flashback rather than Luke's.

The last part about training was in the Reddit leak too from 3 months ago. 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Since we just switched to a new page, I'm going to indulge in quoting myself, because I feel like shouting to the heavens how good this score is!!! 

It's fantastic and I really this one will be a true revelation when heard in the complete form as JW's intended. a 3cd set, surely

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

The Speeder Chase cue isn't in the film? What the fuck?

I actually heard the new motif twice though in the OST track it plays several times.

So much so that I considered OST a concert presentation.

But an equally likely explanation is that it was cut.

Ya know, this has got to be one of the best scores to a bad film that I've heard in some time. So much so that the movie almost hurts the score, hahahah. Almost! And I know I'm DEFINITELY in the minority on this one...but I didn't like the theme of the Speeder Chase track. I was initially glad that wasn't in the movie, but given the end result, it didn't really matter.

Still, it felt like there was A LOT of material missing and I look forward to listening to it!

The last few cues have a greater sense of finality than ROTJ ending. It feels at the same time happy and bittersweet. But quite emotional.

I also like the new recording of the main title more than the TFA one.

Karol

After seeing the film I don't mind the straight-up re-recordings of Yoda and the Force in Destiny of a Jedi, and Yoda's Theme in Reunion as much.  They worked within the film.

Also I'm not sure, but on one viewing, it seemed possible that the version of the Yoda and the Force ending to Destiny of a Jedi was perhaps a slightly more subdued and less over the top performance than the album version, not sure.

As for the Darth Vader's Death music when Rey was poking around the Death Star 2, I thought it worked really well, and from one viewing I couldn't tell if it was tracked or a new recording

2 hours ago, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

Sorry if this has been posted already -- I'm just catching up with the discussion of this score. Here's what I make of the 3.5 new leitmotifs I heard after a first viewing. I'll be updating my catalogue with additional discoveries of course, so this is a bit of a first draft...

1) Anthem of Evil20 Anthem.png

2) Kylo Ren/Knights of Ren new theme

23 Evil Fanfare.png

3a) Rise of Skywalker Opening Section (Hymn)

21 Rise Hymn Partial.png

3b) Rise of Skywalker Middle/Trio Section (Cantilena)

22 Rise Cantilena.png

Overall, I thought the score was at its highest quality when it was based on this new material and developments of themes from the PT. Honestly rather disappointed in the missed musical opportunities though, and the clumsy needle-drops of so much preexisting SW music.

So wait... The theme heard at 1:43 in "Fanfare and Prologue" is the same as the Knights of Ren crazy-brass motif heard later in the movie? I must have missed that and not made the connection, if so. Can anyone confirm?

On 12/20/2019 at 10:08 AM, Jay said:

OK.  I saw the film in the theater last night.  THIS SCORE IS INCREDIBLE.

I cannot recall another experience quite like this one, where I went to the theater and saw a movie, and was just in awe of how good the score was the whole way through like this.  What was most amazing was that even after listening to the 95 or so minutes of score we have between the FYC and OST a lot before seeing the film and becoming very familiar with it, EVERY SINGLE ADDITIONAL, UNRELEASED CUE I HEARD IN THE FILM WAS SOMETHING I WANTED TO HEAR AGAIN OUTSIDE THE FILM!  Every cue he chose not to put on the FYC or OST had SOMETHING special in it that made it worth having.  I just sat there being blown away as cue after cue was a great unreleased highlight.

I don't understand the reports from people saying eh, most of the highlights were on the FYC or OST, or eh, there's only 30 minutes of more music and most of it was older themes anyway, or whatever.  No way!  I mean, of course a lot of the cues do feature old themes, but many of those old themes are completely new variations of them!  I heard an ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC rendition of The Emperor's Theme unlike any I had heard before (it was a quiet rendition, on woodwinds IIRC), a great new version of Luke's theme, some great new Force Theme variations, and TONS, I mean just TONS of great new Rey's Theme variations.

JW clearly is in love with Rey, and she is basically the main character of this film, and JW pretty much scores all her scenes with some new version of her theme, and I feel like we only got maybe half of these renditions between the FYC and OST.  He does so much more with that theme in the full score.

This score is instantly my #1 most requested complete score release from all the John Williams scores that haven't been expanded yet.  Not only is there just a bunch of great music you can hear in the final film that hasn't been released yet, based on everything we can hear right now it seems clear to me that the full sessions for this score would have the most amount of interesting music we've never heard.

I can't remember the last time I was THIS into a new John Williams score this much, nor the last time I got 95 minutes of a score and still wanted more very very much.  It's clear that JW was very inspired while writing this score, either by an earlier longer cut that made a lot more sense, or just something inside him that wanted to make this score really special.  It's amazing to think that an 87 year old man who could have retired 25 years ago with a career more noteworthy than most composers can dream of achieving is still crafting masterpieces like this.  Bravo, maestro!

My sentiments exactly and more. I saw it last night with a packed audience; I was blown away. The film was really good, and of course, the Maestro knocked it out of the ballpark. A great way to end the Saga. Congratulations, Maestro. A 42-year journey wrapped up nicely and beyond expectations.

Also, quite a few people, including myself and family, stuck around until the end of the credits. As soon as that final note of music concluded, every person clapped and cheered (as people did when the credits started) It was like being at a concert.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Since we just switched to a new page, I'm going to indulge in quoting myself, because I feel like shouting to the heavens how good this score is!!! 

I heard the album for the first time this morning and had an impression there was a lot of missing. I didn't have that with TFA, for example. There are some really cool variations on Kylo Ren's themes. I was shocked the gentle ones towards the end of the film are not on the soundtrack album. Yeah, there was plenty of good music left off.

The album itself is pretty good actually but it cannot possibly do this score justice.

Karol

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am not going to fault Williams for what he chose to include or not include on the OST album.  It's the composer's choice to release whatever he wants for OST albums, in my opinion.

However, after seeing the movie, the FYC album has suddenly become a total disaster, in my opinion.  The FYC album is nowhere close to being a proper representation of the score.  There are a bunch of clear highlights on there for sure, but then they just put on a ton of the least interesting cues in the score, while the film has sooo many more, so many better and more interesting cues that could have been included instead.  It's baffling, the decisions they made.  And why is it only 50 minutes?  Also baffling.

The 95 minute OST + FYC Combo Playlist I recommend here is a very strong listening experience, significantly better than listening to the FYC or the OST as-is.  However after seeing the film, even these 95 minutes aren't the right 95 minutes to cover the scope and scale of this score.  We're missing seriously important highlights.  It's a bummer.

Fingers crossed for the exclusive isolated score track. 

Karol

Are we going to have a comparision between the film cues and the material we have on OST/FYC, like we had with other Williams-scored movies?

I would love that, it would be extremely helpful to figure it out what exactly is missing, and how to organize the playlists.

Also: I have the impression that OST Track 2 Journey to Exegol is for the actual action scene that opens the movie, with Kylo slaughtering a bunch of robots (?!?) and travelling to various places until he gets to Exegol, while most of Fanfare and Prologue covers his first meeting with Palpatine - which is the following scene.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

However, after seeing the movie, the FYC album has suddenly become a total disaster, in my opinion.  The FYC album is nowhere close to being a proper representation of the score.  There are a bunch of clear highlights on there for sure, but then they just put on a ton of the least interesting cues in the score, while the film has sooo many more, so many better and more interesting cues that could have been included instead.  It's baffling, the decisions they made.  And why is it only 50 minutes?  Also baffling.

Exactly. I already thought the OST was a much better presentation than the FYC, but after seeing the movie... I cannot understand the rationale beyond those choices for the FYC.

Did anyone mention that section where the choir is whispering words in Sanskrit (I guess), which sounds a bit like analogous whispers in TPM? I seem to recall that slightly before that moment, there was a choir singing something that I thought was similar (but maybe not identical) to the opening of Anthem of Evil, which I don't remember hearing in other parts of the movie. It was mixed a bit low, so I'm not sure.

7 minutes ago, Score said:

Did anyone mention that section where the choir is whispering words in Sanskrit (I guess), which sounds a bit like analogous whispers in TPM?

I was immediately reminded me of TPM too. On that movie, the whispering voices were meant for Darth Maul, right?

But, on TROS, I'm not sure if they are part of the score or just a cool sound effect.

Frankly the Anthem of Evil theme made no impact on me from watching the film.  If I hadn't already been familiar with the concert arrangement and that cool statement of it in the Prologue, I would have left the film not knowing it was a theme that even existed.

I'm guessing that theme played a larger role in the cut of the film Williams started writing the score to, then editing and removal of scenes let the theme's usage getting diminished as well

A few random thoughts...

There is a long quite sustained version of the Emperor's theme near the beginning when the good guys are discussing the Emperor's return. Is that the fantastic version of the theme you mentioned @Jay

During Rey's training, I think the cut to the imperial match is almost certainly a result of a late film edit. I'd love to hear the original cue as recorded. 

There is a nice little propulsive rhythm at the beginning of the film as Kylo is travelling to the Emperor's planet. I think it starts on strings and is then picked up on horns for a stronger effect. I noticed it immediately in the theatre. I wish that was also included in the FYC or OST

Regarding the FYC, it was my understanding the composer doesn't actually choose what is on it but rather someone at the studio. Is that correct?

Like Jay, I think this score is my most wanted expansion/leak now. We pretty must have all of TFA and TLJ as heard in the film although I still really want the cue from the deleted scene in TLJ when Rey is running across the island.

16 minutes ago, Damien F said:

A few random thoughts...

There is a long quite sustained version of the Emperor's theme near the beginning when the good guys are discussing the Emperor's return. Is that the fantastic version of the theme you mentioned @Jay

I honestly can't remember right now which scene had the Emperor's Theme version I mentioned, but I do believe there is more than one unreleased statement of his theme in the film

During Rey's training, I think the cut to the imperial match is almost certainly a result of a late film edit. I'd love to hear the original cue as recorded. 

Definitely my thought as well

There is a nice little propulsive rhythm at the beginning of the film as Kylo is travelling to the Emperor's planet. I think it starts on strings and is then picked up on horns for a stronger effect. I noticed it immediately in the theatre. I wish that was also included in the FYC or OST

That bit is on the FYC...

Regarding the FYC, it was my understanding the composer doesn't actually choose what is on it but rather someone at the studio. Is that correct?

I have no idea.  I can't recall any interview I've ever seen with anyone talking about FYC construction >shrug<

No, it was definitely performed by an Oboe and maybe strings, and I think it was placed before they go to Kijimi. That FYC track had low woodwinds.

Any tracks on the OST/FYC would gained a new appreciation for after watching the movie? For me, tracks like Destiny of a Jedi, Farewell, Advice, Parents, Coming Together and specially Farewell and Reunion sounded much better after watching it.

On the other hand, it's a little sad to listen to the action music such as in Falcon Flight and Speeder Chase, the former because it's barely audible on the movie and the second because it was utterly butchered :( .

4 hours ago, Jay said:

As for the Darth Vader's Death music when Rey was poking around the Death Star 2, I thought it worked really well, and from one viewing I couldn't tell if it was tracked or a new recording

For my first viewing, I found it was very weirdly edited together. Jarringly so. And not just because of how it got rearranged (or remixed, I guess) but thematically it doesn't even work for the scene it was scoring. Heck, Darth Vader didn't even die in that room. The sense of displacement was pretty strong thanks solely to that music editing. I can't imagine there wasn't something Williams had already written that wouldn't have worked better. Or no music at all. 

There needs to be a guide for unreleased cues included on the FYC album as well as any sections of music included on the FYC album that is microedited on the OST album. I hope that happens soon. I'd like a complete listen of full cues before the eventual expanded release.

Anyway, I have to wait until Christmas Eve to have my hands on the soundtrack album. In the meantime, I'll be going to see the film again tonight (as well as Saturday and Sunday), not just because it was good. I want to memorize as much of the score in the film as possible before waiting for the film to come out on Blu-Ray and Digital.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

There needs to be a guide for unreleased cues included on the FYC album as well as any sections of music included on the FYC album that is microedited on the OST album.

First post of this thread here

Here's what bridges the Main Title to the start of the FYC track "Prologue" in the film.  The "panning down from the stars" moment is tracked in from TFA, right?

~

Here's a cool 2 minute long unreleased cue from near the beginning of the film featuring terrific iterations of The Emperor's Theme, The Force Theme, and Rey's Theme

2 minutes ago, eitam said:

So can anyone remember when Advice from the FYC play in the movie?

It's the scene where Kylo talks to Han

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Here's a cool 2 minute long unreleased cue from near the beginning of the film featuring terrific iterations of The Emperor's Theme, The Force Theme, and Rey's Theme

Lovely music...but that dialogue...