The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's the scene where Kylo talks to Han

Ah, thank you!

I like this track, as far as "adagio" writing goes it's working better for me than the first part of Torn Apart in TFA.

4 minutes ago, Damien F said:

Parents and Coming Together. They are so important for Kylo and his theme. They really should have been on the OST. 

Indeed!

So while everyone is saying Rey's relationship to Palpaneverdie is retconned, do we have evidence to the contrary in the form of Rey's theme? I mean...clearly the theme is a happy-sad evolution of Emperor's theme? 

We have to say that the first generation SW fans are getting older, they are slower! ROTFLMAO

Maybe the Skywalker Saga took too many years to conclude.

Nobody seems to understand it hehe

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

The final sequence with the New Home cue was the best marriage of music to visuals in a long time. Perhaps it was the lack of dialogue and loud sound effects, but it felt like art.  Rey riding down the sandhill was a nice callback, both visually and musically.  I was happy that the saga ended with such subdued poignancy.  

The theme rises and sets, like the twin suns of Tatooine. :)

21 hours ago, Drew said:

Star Wars has the worst fandom at times. They boycott movies because they didn't like one of them. Imagine people boycotting Avengers because one of the MCU movies was a bit left-field.

TLJ was significantly more than "a bit" left field. The best way to describe it might be how Cerebral Cortex described TROS:

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I tried so hard to like this film. I held out until the very end hoping that something might happen to salvage what a mess this...entry was in my eyes, but nothing happened.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

[Expanded] Straight away? Or a few years from now? You're already done digesting 77 minutes of new music?

Yes, straight away. My interest will be less a few years from now.

Perhaps answered as I haven't read every page.. Sorry... Was the "Han Solo and the Princess" quote tracked from The Empire Strikes Back? Reminded me of one of the Bespin quotes.

I think the “Han Solo and the Princess” bit was tracked from TFA. “Peace and Purpose” from TLJ appeared to be tracked as well. 

What’s amazing is that Abrams had Williams working on this score since March and he still needed to track music from other films. 

11 hours ago, Romão said:

The forging of Kylo's saber was longer and had KoR perform almost dance-like ritual. That full scene was the part of 4 min show reel for crew that JJ personally cut.

Maybe Anthem of Evil wasn't meant to be a concert arrangement then? Maybe it was meant to be for this entire scene and got cut and Williams decided to leave it on the album? I guess that wouldn't make much sense. I don't know. 

Can someone help me out? Between the FYC and the OST, which cues relate to the story of Ben Solo/Kylo Ren most? Right now I have Journey to Exegol, Advice, Parents, and Coming Together. What else am I missing?

As mentioned in the spoiler thread for the film, I just got back from seeing the film and boy did Williams' score get buried in the mix, especially in the action sequences. It's such a downer, that in my effort to try and make heads or tails of the new music, I had to split my attention between film and score. It's not simply a theater issue either, as the sound fx are clearly mixed louder! It shines towards the end though and works great. I love how the 'farewell' theme scores the victory of the Resistance as all the ships fly around. 

I think it's a great score, but in the film it's hidden and obstructed, on album it's missing another half of the film entirely! So there's no winning either way until a complete release is ever considered. That said, I adore the concert suites on the album and The Speeder Chase that was mercilessly cut from the film!

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

Can someone help me out? Between the FYC and the OST, which cues relate to the story of Ben Solo/Kylo Ren most? Right now I have Journey to Exegol, Advice, Parents, and Coming Together. What else am I missing?

Add Farewell to your list. :)

28 minutes ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

Add Farewell to your list. :)

Thanks. I decided to go with:

1. Prologue
  2. Journey to Exegol
  3. Hard to Get Rid Of (though I'm not sure how I feel about this one)
  4. Join Me
  5. The Old Death Star
  6. The Final Saber Duel
  7. Advice
  8. Approaching the Throne
  9. Parents
  10. Coming Together
  11. The Force is with You
  12. Farewell

This is kind of an experiment to see if any arrangement of tracks can musically tell the story of Kylo Ren and still be a good listening experience. I wish we had more of the big statements of Kylo Ren's Theme between the FYC and OST.

6 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

Only really now digging into this score, has it been remarked upon the similarity of Anthem of Evil and Holdo's theme (or whatever we're calling it these days)?

And Cinque’s Theme from Amistad👍🏻

42 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Hard to Get Rid Of

:conf::conf::conf:

34 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

Only really now digging into this score, has it been remarked upon the similarity of Anthem of Evil and Holdo's theme (or whatever we're calling it these days)?

Yeah, thought the exact same thing. The first half is almost identical, I feel. 

7 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Yeah, thought the exact same thing. The first half is almost identical, I feel. 

Didn't catch it during the film at all until the credits, when I was kinda like "wait what? Oh it's a new theme."

Also, just me or does the Knights of Ren theme sound like the end of the boat scene from the beginning of Last Crusade?

EDIT:

Ha, forgot the cue was literally called "The Boat Scene"

Loved the score! But, as much as I was hoping for at least one more “Luke and Leia” statement, why was it played when... Lando and Jannah were talking?

Also, that was its only use, right?

5 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Loved the score! But, as much as I was hoping for at least one more “Luke and Leia” statement, why was it played when... Lando and Jannah were talking?

To represent yet another case of incest. Apparently Jannah was supposed to be Lando's daughter but that was cut from the film and now after watching the film some people that they were going to hook up.

I just got back from seeing RoS for the first time. 

I liked the movie, though, was a tad upset at all the retconning JJ Abrams did.

Enough about the movie though....that score was cinematic perfection.  I am not one to get emotional easily, but JW really pulled out all the stops.  When Poe seemed defeated, and he heard Lando reply: "All of us" and that music swelled?!  I was damn near in tears. 

I LOVED the score, I Love John Williams...and you all DID see the cameo he had in the movie...right??

1 hour ago, DominicCobb said:

Didn't catch it during the film at all until the credits, when I was kinda like "wait what? Oh it's a new theme."

Also, just me or does the Knights of Ren theme sound like the end of the boat scene from the beginning of Last Crusade?

EDIT:

Ha, forgot the cue was literally called "The Boat Scene"

Oh wow! I get exactly what you mean! Damn, good catch. 

Anybody have any idea how much of the missing stuff is actually just tracked recordings? On first watch it's hard to keep track when there's so many (and when some might just be rerecordings of old arrangements). For instance, Zorii talking to Poe, is that a new recording of the AOTC cue? Something like the use of Lesson Two for Rey and Finn talking on the ship or Vader's death for the Death Star I feel confident saying is tracked because it sounds like they've been edited as well.

Even the most recently posted clip "I Know You," is that a tracked recording at the end of the clip from TFA (from after the landing on Starkiller base)?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I'd say so.  0:06 in the "The Helmet" clip on the top of this page seems related to them as well.

Yes, I just re-listened to that and it is the exact same motif heard in "The Knights of Ren" clip you posted, just slower. The little fanfare in "Prologue" (FYC)/"Journey to Exegol" (OST) does also seem related, mostly because of the descending chromatic triplets at the end of the phrase both times.

I doubt if you added up all the tracked music in the film, it would total more than a minute or so

But I dunno.