The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

@Jay Did you make a combined playlist, without editing, of the OST + FYC?

Post #1 of this thread https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30975-the-rise-of-skywalker-for-your-consideration-fyc-album-discussion-no-film-spoilers-allowed/

Oh I forgot to mention (and this has probably been noticed by others several times already haha): 

In the credits, JW is the sole conductor credited! William Ross and JW are both credited with orchestrations. 

That 12 seconds of 'unreleased' in Prologue 1. Is that what's used in the film between Main Title and FYC Prologue? I'm pretty sure it's just tracked from TFA's opening.

3 hours ago, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

I missed a leitmotif on my first pass through the score! Here's a melodic idea that occurs on the FYC in the middle of "Falcon Flight," as well as for Lando's introduction (unreleased?) and throughout the Speeder Chase (both film and alternate versions). The peppy, upbeat variant of the motif is largely but not-entirely absent from the film Speeder Chase (but all over the FYC version of the cue); it's the one that sounds like the fanfare at the end of "The Barrel Chase" from Jaws.

24 Heroics.png

This new theme, which for lack of better description I guess could be called "Heroics", is closely related to the Rise of Skywalker cantilena melody, as well as Main/Luke Themes and even the Anthem of Evil in its contour. But with three+ iterations and enough of a distinct identity of its own, I'm comfortable calling it an autonomous leitmotif.

I'll be updating my catalogue momentarily with precise timings for this and all the other new themes.

Falcon Flight rendition:

Jaws: 

Isn't this a variant on Poe's theme? Seems that's what it's intended to be; it first shows up when Poe is flying the Falcon...

15 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Isn't this a variant on Poe's theme? Seems that's what it's intended to be; it first shows up when Poe is flying the Falcon...

Poe and the Falcon???  :wub:

Poe in the Falcon???

Or just The Heroics of Poe???

As much as I love this score, I do feel like the old themes were overused again especially during the last act. Interestingly, as buried as the music was, the old themes were always audible even during the action scenes. I don’t blame Williams at all for all the repeats but rather I blame Abrams and Disney for being in complete nostalgia mode for the ST. They know people go apeshit when something from the OT is referenced and the music is no exception... “Burning Homestead” in TFA, “Here They Come” in TLJ and several OT music moments in TROS. It’s become rather tiresome hearing the force theme and rebel fanfare during what seemed to be every other scene. Regardless, the original music is excellent especially for a man in his late 80’s. It seems Williams has written more SW music in a 5 year period than he has previously - he definitely dedicated and passionate about SW.

2 hours ago, Will said:

Oh I forgot to mention (and this has probably been noticed by others several times already haha): 

In the credits, JW is the sole conductor credited! William Ross and JW are both credited with orchestrations. 

Don Williams confirmed that Ross stepped in every now and then for conducting fast cues (I’m assuming click track stuff).

36 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I thought so myself at first, and there are definitely meaningful similarities between the two in terms of contour and rhythm, but they don't line up all that closely in terms of harmony or melodic content.

Poe Theme:  C - D - Bb - G - F - C - G

New Theme: C - F  - E  - G  - C  ...

Could be derived from Poe's theme, but it also has similarities to the Rise of Skywalker theme itself, and the Main/Luke Theme too. 

I wonder if anyone caught instances of it later on? Haven't fully analyzed the back half of the score. Does it appear during the final battle?

2 hours ago, Gistech said:

That 12 seconds of 'unreleased' in Prologue 1. Is that what's used in the film between Main Title and FYC Prologue? I'm pretty sure it's just tracked from TFA's opening.

It is, I posted as such in a thread somewhere. That's why it's not on the FYC

I love that finally get a few cues for the villains to show up on an OST--and have significant film presence as well. The First Order motif from TFA was fine and duly menacing but I like Anthem of Evil so much more. Williams seems to like writing motific cues for the villains in the first film of a trilogy before coming back in one of the later films to write them a big thematic number.

I read someone on here say that AOE doesn't get it's due in the film itself but when I saw the film last night I was hearing it all over the place, especially in some of the First/Final Order scenes and appearances.

There's an instance of it at the tail end of In the Desert that I haven't seen anyone mention as well.

2 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

@Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) Others have voiced this but I have yet to do so personally: you are such a treasured member of this community. 

Wow, thanks @Cerebral Cortex! Even during the long spans when I've only been a lurker here, I've treasured this community too, ever since 1999. It boggles my mind that I've been able to enjoy everyone's company for not one but two whole Star Wars trilogies!

14 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

For instance, Zorii talking to Poe, is that a new recording of the AOTC cue? 

14 hours ago, Arpy said:

The Zori/Poe convo seems like half new recording, half tracked. 

Listen and tell me what you think!

Here's Rey exploring the Death Star II.  Can we tell from this if the "Darth Vader's Death" part at the end is tracked in from ROTJ or new?

Sure, but the best case scenario is that in all instances of either tracked or re-recorded music, JW first wrote something original, and we get that recording some day.

On 12/21/2019 at 2:09 AM, Jay said:

Well, there's close to half an hour of unreleased music just in the first half of the film

[...]

My most anticipated JWFan post of the year is finally live! :lovethis:

Are we going to have an analysis for the entire movie?

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

Here's Rey exploring the Death Star II.  Can we tell from this if the "Darth Vader's Death" part at the end is tracked in from ROTJ or new?

Tracked.  I recognized the stuffy ROTJ recording in the theater.

Yeah the giveaway is the hissy recording which sounds totally different to the rest of the score. 100% tracked from ROTJ.

It'll be interesting to hear what JW wrote for it before it was replaced (unless it was unscored?)

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

Aaaaand my most wanted unreleased cue ever:

The spectacular, glorious version of the Star Wars main theme during the space battle. That was NOT the Main Title version at all. I can't believe nobody is mentioning it.

Jay can you post a clip of it?

Hmm... I had thought that version was very similar to the "Main Title" but perhaps I was wrong. @Jay?

For me, that wasn't the Main Title (or a recording of the Main Title), but rather a new performance of Luke's Theme.

It's interesting how some of the themes for ANH evolved throughout the 9 movies:

Force Theme: Ben Kenobi's theme - Force Theme - A theme for the Jedi and all the good Force wielders in the galaxy

Luke's theme: Luke Skywalker's theme (lol) - Main Title/End Credits fanfare - Theme for the classic characters, their legendary deeds and the heroics of all good people willing to stand up to evil on the galaxy?

8 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Would it have killed Williams to record a new statement of Lando's theme for that? 

There is no Lando theme. There's a theme for Cloud City.

It doesn't follow Lando into Return of the Jedi, and it needn't follow him into this film.

6 minutes ago, King Mark said:

wow, are you kidding me

It's like a super epic version of the end credit Luke's Theme mixed with chasm crossfire ,This is probably the BEST variation of Luke's Theme ever

Yeah I think that's probably correct. Just hard for me to hear it in the clip. Better hope for an iso score :crymore:

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Although it's called Luke's Theme, it's become synonymous with Star Wars, duh!

And although it's called Cloud City theme, it's become synonymous with Lando, duh!