The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

35 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

And although it's called Cloud City theme, it's become synonymous with Lando, duh! 

Yes, but the former is more well-known.

16 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Funny I was reminded of the exact same fanfare listening to the speeder chase theme:

Yep! :) That's the "peppy" upbeat variant I mentioned in the original post, though I meant to refer to its presence on the OST, not FYC.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

And although it's called Cloud City theme, it's become synonymous with Lando, duh! 

The difference is Luke's theme took on new meaning through expanded use by Williams in the successive films. The Cloud City theme has only taken on the meaning of "Lando's theme" because listeners have called it that. It hasn't been used in any way since TESB.

The use of that Prequel melody in TFA is interesting, because there is no obvious thematic context between the two scenes.

Maybe just temp track love?

Didn't catch it in TROS, nice.

There's almost no Prequel music in this new trilogy, for some reason

I noticed the recurrence of Finn's Confession for that scene as well, which fits well thematically with that TROS scene (purely quoting the TFA version, because it has no correlation to the equivalent scenes in TPM).

It seemed to go off in a new direction though, so presumably a new cue JW wrote for TROS. Probably temp track love.

Considering that the ST is all about reminding people of their love for the OT, while at the same time making them forget the PT, it's a little weird to see Williams quoting random cues from TPM and AOTC on the new trilogy, like Talk of Podracing on Finn's Confession and The Arrival at Tatooeine on that Poe/Zori scene.

Maybe this is just a case of temp track love? Many people pointed that some action scenes on TLJ (Rose's sister dropping the bombs on the Star Destroyer, Holdo's Resolve) seemed to be tracked with Battle of Heroes.

Or maybe it's Williams James Horner-ing? "I've written this stuff for this other movie, but you know... It would be great if I put it on this new film I'm working on!". It wouldn't be the first time for him. *cof cof Harry Potter cof cof*

Seriously I can't hum any new themes from the film, I have yet to listen to the OST or FYC CDs...but I didn't recognise any new melody as memorable as Rey's theme or kylo ren motif or the resistance march... :/

I have to listen to the CDs asap.

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Seriously I can't hum any new themes from the film, I have yet to liste to de OST or fyc CDs...but I didn't recognise any new melody as memorable as Rey's theme or kylo ren motif... :/

Well I’ve been humming them for over a week now, so please do!

19 hours ago, King Mark said:

Aaaaand my most wanted unreleased cue ever:

The spectacular, glorious version of the Star Wars main theme during the space battle. That was NOT the Main Title version at all. I can't believe nobody is mentioning it.

Wait, for real?  That's not on the FYC or OST?  (I haven't listened yet... sort of delaying gratification).

That music and scene brought tears to my eyes.

9 hours ago, BoD said:

I don't know if this is famous but there's a track in Episode VII ("Finn's Confession") that starts exactly like another track from Episode I ("The High Council Meeting and Qui Gon's Funeral").

Well I've watched Episode IX twice already and I swear you can ALSO hear the same beginning in another track, which plays in the movie during the scene where Finn talks to the female ex-stormtrooper, when she tells her story.  Unfortunately this track is neither in the official OST, nor on the "FYC" (I've just listened to it) :(

Thoughts?

Here it is, listen and report back!

The music where Poe and Zorii talk on Kajimi is the same music from when Clieg Lars tells Anakin about the sandpeople taking his mother. 

Saw it a second time today and I still didn't notice any new themes other than a percussion cue for the Knights of Ren. 

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

The music when Kylo fights the Knights of Ren and Rey fights Palpatine's guards is quite possibly my #1 most wanted unreleased cue... It's an absolute travesty that wasn't included on either the OST or FYC.

Yes that was absolutely killer music. 

I'm not going to read through this whole thread but I heard I think was practically tracked music or re-recorded segment from "Plans For The Twins".  Seemed like note for note for the first segment with the force theme but I don't remember what scene. It stuck out to me.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what's up with the The Old Death Star OST track, specifically the music heard from 1:22-2:21.

0:00-1:22 of the OST track (so through the Imperial March and the little drum bit that follows) matches 0:00-1:16 of the FYC track with the same name, and covers the group, having crashed the Millennium Falcon on the surface of Kef Bir, walking to the shore, seeing the Death Star 2 remnants in the water, and Rey using the SIth dagger to figure out where the Wayfinder is.  No problems there.  (The FYC track is only 6 seconds shorter due to tiny portions being snipped out, IE JJ edited the scene down a bt after the original cue was recorded so some music went with the deleted footage)

But then the OST track continues on with music from 1:22-2:21 that isn't heard in the film at all, while the FYC track presents completely different music from 1:16-end.

Basically, the next scene in the film is when Jannah and her group show up at the shore right after Rey uses the dagger, the trio points their blasters at her crew, and then they talk a bit, and then Jannah offers to help them.  The music in the film, so therefore also the FYC track, fits the scene very neatly, featuring Rey's theme when she talks, and Poe's theme when he talks.. But if you listen carefully to the FYC track, it seems very clear there's an edit at 1:16... which could indicate a segue to tracked music?  Or a bad segue to an Insert?

After that we have the scene where Finn and Jannah talk inside the Millenium Falcon, which was just posted a bit above if you want to hear it, which isn't on the FYC or OST at all.  That scene also features music themes that neatly fit what's happening, ie the Force Theme as Finn mentions the Force brought him to Rey and co.

That's immediately followed by the scene of Rey in the skimmer approaching the DS2, which is nicely presented by the "Off the Waterfront" cue, which is in its own FYC track, and appears in the OST track from 2:21-end.

So that leaves me wondering... what is the music from 1:22-2:21 in the OST track!?!?!?

The first thing I noticed is that as the OST track continues from the drum hit at 1:19 onward, there is nothing that sounds like an edit, and specifically, the up-beat music from 1:22-1:34 I think would have fit the on-screen action of Jannah showing up an the trio pointing their blasters at hew crew perfectly, since we don't now they are good guys yet.  This could explain the awkward edit in the FYC track, like at the last minute JJ just felt this music wasn't quite right and had the music editor track in something else perhaps?

But then what about the music from 1:34-2:21?  It features The Resistance March and then Rey's Theme.  Could this be JW's original cue for the crew talking to Jannah?  Featuring Rey's Theme because she talks at the end?  Or could this be JW's original version of Finn talking to Jannah?  Featuring the Resistance Theme because they bond over leaving the First Order to join the Resistance, and Rey's Theme because Finn mentions her?

What do people think?

Does anyone recognize the music from 1:16-end of the FYC track as being tracked from something else?

30 minutes ago, Demodex said:

The music where Finn talks to the female ex-stormtrooper on the Falcon is the same music from when Clieg Lars tells Anakin about the sandpeople taking his mother. 

Saw it a second time today and I still didn't notice any new themes other than a percussion cue for the Knights of Ren. 

I remember a percussion cue for Knights of Ren as well. It is prominent in the desert scene when they are all shown standing on the hilltop like the Nazgul. 

What's the new Kylo theme that Variety mentioned? Is it a character theme or the new badguys theme - Anthem of Evil?

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Seriously I can't hum any new themes from the film, I have yet to listen to the OST or FYC CDs...but I didn't recognise any new melody as memorable as Rey's theme or kylo ren motif or the resistance march... :/

I have to listen to the CDs asap.

Th trio theme and the farewell theme are both instantly memorable to me.

5 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

What's the new Kylo theme that Variety mentioned? Is it a character theme or the new badguys theme - Anthem of Evil?

I've been thinking about that, and I think what the Burlingame Variety article calls a "new theme for Kylo Ren" is the "Knights of Ren" motif we discussed on the last page or somewhere around there.  It's not the Anthem of Evil, because he lists that separately

The famous “Star Wars” themes — including the opening fanfare, music for the Force and themes for Rey and the Emperor — return, along with four new motifs: the darkly hued “Anthem of Evil,” an optimistic “Rise of Skywalker” theme, a scherzo for action sequences and new music for Kylo Ren (Adam Driver).

Incidentally, I think the rising and falling theme is a theme for the Wayfinder and Burlingame didn't notice it

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've been thinking about that, and I think what the Burlingame Variety article calls a "new theme for Kylo Ren" is the "Knights of Ren" motif we discussed on the last page or somewhere around there.  It's not the Anthem of Evil, because he lists that separately

Incidentally, I think the rising and falling theme is a theme for the Wayfinder and Burlingame didn't notice it

I think he wouldn't himself make that determination and name the themes that JW's PR gave him.

The writer I don't think is sophisticated enough to watch the films and listen to the soundtrack and determine what the new themes are. Most of these writers are dumb fucks as you know. So he isn't expressing his opinion about the new themes, someone from Disney or JW's PR told him what were the new themes so that he could include it in his article.

OK hold on, back up, Jon Burlingame is not a dumb fuck.  Have you seriously never heard of him before?

Anyways, I still don't understand what you are trying to say about what theme is what

The article says:

along with four new motifs:

the darkly hued “Anthem of Evil,” it's clear what this one is

an optimistic “Rise of Skywalker” theme, its clear what this one is, he's referring to both the "Trio Theme" and the "Farewell Theme" as one theme because they are combined in the concert arrangement

a scherzo for action sequences it's clear what this one is

and new music for Kylo Ren (Adam Driver). this is the only thing it's unclear what he means.  I personally think it means the Knights of Ren Theme, but it could mean the "rising and falling motif" aka what I consider the Wayfinder Theme.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

OK hold on, back up, Jon Burlingame is not a dumb fuck.  Have you seriously never heard of him before?

Anyways, I still don't understand what you are trying to say about what theme is what

The article says:

I actually have not heard of him. I thought he is one of those hack writers who like the "songs" in the star wars score.

My only point is that - we might want to look for a Kylo theme - because JW might himself have told Variety that. 

The other option we have of course is that the writer was mistaken - which might be a more reasonable assumption given the FYC and the OST.

Yes plus the Wayfinder Theme only appears twice in the score I think, so could have been easy to miss.

The Knights of Ren theme occurs throughout the entire score, and might have originally appeared more before the final cut was edited down so much especialy in the prologue area.  I don't think the theme is on the OST at all, and only appears twice on the FYC.  Right now I can't remember specifically what is happening on the screen the other times it is used in the film

I finally found a word how ROS makes me feel: sad. 

It's without a doubt a heroic effort by Williams, but I don't feel "it". 

The unreleased music doesn't change that. I feel like the score does nothing to make the film sound unique, and I feel like the orchestrations are somewhat plain, and there are too many been there done that tropes in there. 

Rey's theme isn't interesting enough to carry 3 movies, and there are no setpieces whatsoever. 

I know that Speeder Chase is supposed to be that, but at some point, I'm just tired of the usual brass triplets and unmotivated woodwind flourishes. 

The score lacks direction and, in a word, impact. 

Williams used to do several concert pieces and setpieces even for a crappy film like Crystal Skull. Nothing of the sort is present here. 

The random inclusion of old cues, like Yoda's theme in the finale, is just headscratching for me. 

The finale is the most disappointing of all 9 films. Just a rehash of TFA. 

The score lacks vibrant orchestrations, the percussion section is just bare minimum. 

Athem Of Evil is interesting, but nothing I can see listening to over and over. 

Rey's theme and Rose's theme are the only two takeaways from this trilogy of scores. That's just not enough for me.

I remember when ROTS came out, and people were divided over it. ROTS runs circles around ROS. 

I'd kill for a piece like Battle Of The Heroes now, which people back then described as a plain power anthem. 

Anyhow... 

On 12/20/2019 at 8:54 PM, pete said:

Was the "Han Solo and the Princess" quote tracked from The Empire Strikes Back? Reminded me of one of the Bespin quotes.

On 12/20/2019 at 9:34 PM, Balahkay said:

I think the “Han Solo and the Princess” bit was tracked from TFA.

Are you guys talking about the quote at the end of this unreleased cue?

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Why so much tracked music in this film?

Because JJ Abrahms' movies are made in the edit and re-edited to the very last minute. He makes decisions as he goes and "discovers" the movie as he edits which impacts the score and even the narrative itself. 

But even by Abrams' standards, the music is a huge mess on the movie. I tried to listen to the film version of the Speeder Chase, and I honestly can't believe that this isn't a cue created combining several mini cues from other places (including even initial versions of the Speeder Chase music).

Speeder Chase is 2019's On the Conveyor Belt, but worse.

1 hour ago, Trent B said:

I'm not going to read through this whole thread but I heard I think was practically tracked music or re-recorded segment from "Plans For The Twins".  Seemed like note for note for the first segment with the force theme but I don't remember what scene. It stuck out to me.

Yes, I heard this too! Sounded tracked from ROTS. From memory it was a scene with Poe and Lando talking to Leia after she's died.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Since Rey has nothing to do with the prologue that exists in the film now, I can't imagine what her theme is doing there

The thing is, the prologue as it exists in the final cut has nothing to do with Rey.  The footage scored by her theme there is just Kylo Ren in ship approaching Exegol.  Since the whole snippet of music in the FYC from 0:56-1:28 seems to have been snipped out of the OST at 2:33 of Journey to Exegol, I don't really get what the opening of film was like when Williams, unless it was bouncing back and forth between Rey training as Kylo hunts for the Wayfinder then uses it to get to Exegol or something

58 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

It's worth noting that, unless I'm mistaken, that exact same music is later used for when Rey also flies to Exegol—although I think I remember her theme that time being played higher, by horns rather than trombones. I could be misremembering. But I almost wonder if that bit was written for her scene first, and then reused for the beginning with Kylo(?).

HOLY CRAP I THINK YOU'RE ONTO SOMETHING HERE.  Listen to this unreleased cue from late in the film when Rey arrives on Exegol:

NOW I'm wondering if that OST track represents some music he wrote for the third act, NOT music he wrote for the Prologue, but after JJ restructured the prologue and tracked music from this cue into it, he moved it towards the beginning of the OST album to reflect that.  Woah!