The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

33 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Does it strike anyone else as an obvious oversight to reveal that big podrace stadium full of Sith fans and not have them chanting "Korah, Ratama..."?  For twenty years, whenever I heard the opening of "Duel of the Fates," I've been picturing some ancient, insidious cult ritual, and now that's literally what we get onscreen, and the theme is MIA.  If I'm JJ, that's the first request I make in the spotting session.

there was something that sounded like DotF

there's the short choral cue at the end of Approaching the Throne. It sounds like a section of DotF (at 3.17 in the concert version of Duel of the Fates).

yeah the single disk OST seems like a tragedy now. And I just can't see an iso score on this one so we won't be getting this for years

After my IMAX viewing with a much better sound system ,Lando Arrives was even more glorious, probably one of the best single cues of all 9 films

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

yeah the single disk OST seems like a tragedy now. And I just can't see an iso score on this one so we won't be getting this for years

You know, I'm starting to think you're a bit of a "glass half empty" kind of person. :lol:

52 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I always love how you treat the release of a new Williams OST as a bad thing, KM.

I've been the same way for every new SW release in the past 20 years

58 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Well considering we're two decades past the first prequel and still haven't received an expansion (well, unless you count the UE), your pessimism probably isn't unfounded. 

But don't forget we're in the Matessino era now, and he's fighting that battle for us. 

19 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I know! The main thing you seem to focus on is how much there is missing, instead of how much you've just been given.

It's a very pessimistic outlook, IMO.

So, I'm trying my best to like this score, but I'm not getting it.

Lots of meandering underscore, not much action music (most of it sketchy), a scattering of old themes in familiar presentations, and a few indistinguishable new themes that weren't really necessary. When a blurt of the Resistance march is the most anchoring feature of a significant part of the score, you know there's not loads to grab on to!

It doesn't help that the film itself is another swerve in direction, with a weak piecemeal plot and not enough character development for anyone.

But what is this new adventure theme during The Speeder Chase, and why does it matter? Can someone point me to the highlights of this score's intelligence? To the new themes getting used in smart ways? To the development of old themes? I do hope this one is a 'grower'.

16 minutes ago, King Mark said:

no it's not. As fan that's what we want the most. and when lesser scores get immediate 2 c.d. releases like Black Panther it just crushes my heart

It often feels like you consider yourself as the Official JWFan Arbiter of which scores are worth releasing and which aren't.

Don't get me wrong - I agree with you on how disappointing it is that much of JW's music is still unreleased, and (as I alluded to somewhere else) I think that Disney is stuck up its own pretentious ass by not allowing speciality labels to work on SW/Indy properly.

But you're putting JW and his music on a pedestal that he didn't ask for, and at the expense of belittling lots of other scores.

3 minutes ago, Miz said:

So, I'm trying my best to like this score, but I'm not getting it.

Lots of meandering underscore, not much action music (most of it sketchy), a scattering of old themes in familiar presentations, and a few indistinguishable new themes that weren't really necessary. When a blurt of the Resistance march is the most anchoring feature of a significant part of the score, you know there's not loads to grab on to!

I hear you, this score just isnt really doing it for me. It's fine...I guess.

23 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's glorious indeed. The first part of the Force Theme might be overdone but the second half got used so rarely during the ST. What a treat to get such an intriguing presentation of the entire theme in the final film, at the climax no less. 

IMO the first half of the theme is just OK in this rendition, but yes, the second half is fantastic, especially with that violin line at the end. Too bad it gets buried under sound effects in the movie.

26 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Now I’m onto Reunion, and if those new renditions of the Main theme, Force theme, Poe’s theme and Rey’s theme don’t give you chills then you have no heart. Yeah it’s one theme after another (in between a direct lift of Yoda’s theme, and potentially a new arrangement of Brother and Sister, though I can’t be sure) but it’s Williams gold.

That Rey's Theme statement plays sooo well in the movie, it sounds so happy and relieved! :)

41 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Now I’m onto Reunion, and if those new renditions of the Main theme, Force theme, Poe’s theme and Rey’s theme don’t give you chills then you have no heart. Yeah it’s one theme after another (in between a direct lift of Yoda’s theme, and potentially a new arrangement of Brother and Sister, though I can’t be sure) but it’s Williams gold.

It's nice, but no chills. Guess I have no heart. Yoda's theme just makes no sense. 

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

It's nice, but no chills. Guess I have no heart. Yoda's theme just makes no sense. 

Williams likes the theme--same as it playing during the last act of ESB.  Why he did not write a new joyful piece, I don't know.  Maybe after 3 hours of music, he told JJ (while waving his hand) "Yoda's theme will fit fine."  

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Williams like the theme--same as it playing during the last act of ESB.  Why he did not write a new joyful piece, I don't know.  Maybe after 3 hours of music, he told JJ (while waving his hand) "Yoda's theme will fit fine."  

I can just imagine it :lol:

I also kinda wish we had gotten another Victory Celebration-like piece, but this will do! :)

18 minutes ago, Tom said:

Williams like the theme--same as it playing during the last act of ESB.  Why he did not write a new joyful piece, I don't know.  Maybe after 3 hours of music, he told JJ (while waving his hand) "Yoda's theme will fit fine."  

At least Yoda is a main character in ESB. 

I assume it's temping. 

21 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yoda’s Theme and Luke & Leia are ridiculous and make no sense but fuck it, it’s Star Wars, they sound great and I think it flows pretty well musically, the movie sucks anyway. I love that track.

As I interpret, these themes are there not because of coherence or something, but because they belong in the realm of the heroes themes of the Star Wars saga (as opposed to the Imperial March, Emperor's Theme, etc). The heroes are celebrating and happy about that victory, so he used these themes along with other heroes themes from the movies.

It's not anything new for Williams. Remember Leia's Theme during Obi-Wan's death on A New Hope? I think, if he thinks a theme can have the emotional impact he wants on the scene, he'll use that theme, regardless if the characters they were inteded for are on the scene or not.

I was more puzzled about Yoda's Theme on Destiny of a Jedi. However, since it plays as Luke's ghost is lifting the X-Wing from the water, I understood as a reference to Yoda doing the same thing on Empire - and maybe commenting that, now, Luke has achieved the same level of power as Yoda.

7 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

There is so much gap filler on the OST and still Williams manages to leave off several exciting cues instead.

Hardly anything new for Williams, lol. Until this day I don't know why the KOTCS OST has so much boring stuff and not the complete music for the Jungle Chase action sequence.

22 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's not anything new for Williams. Remember Leia's Theme during Obi-Wan's death on A New Hope? I think, if he thinks a theme can have the emotional impact he wants on the scene, he'll use that theme, regardless if the characters they were inteded for are on the scene or not.

The difference is that on ANH Leia's theme was the only romantic/dramatic theme he had. (and of course, Leia was in the scene)

Having so many themes, the choice of using a theme of a character who is not even in the movie is more baffling (and more related to the idea of "let's just have many of the old classic themes to celebrate the occasion!").

I went to see the movie again. I thought I heard some music from Join Me (OST version) at the beginning of the movie, when we first see the Sith fleet in all its ridicule splendor. Is that right? I don"t see it in @Jay's spreadsheet.

Also I'm adding the music for the meeting with Lando on Pasaana to my wishlist.

Most of the prologue sounds tracked from other cues for sure.  I haven't sat down and tried to figure out second by second what's what, just put the obvious ones (IE, stuff from the first 2 OST tracks) in the chart so far

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Most of the prologue sounds tracked from other cues for sure.  I haven't sat down and tried to figure out second by second what's what, just put the obvious ones (IE, stuff from the first 2 OST tracks) in the chart so far

OK. I'm guessing the mess of the soundtrack reflects the mess of the movie here. 

5 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

The statement of Luke and Leia is definitely new, though it starts with the concert arrangement. It’s a beautiful moment.

It's the same exact statement as from "The Spark" from TLJ, only transposed up a step to F-maj and given newly robust conclusion. But overall the orchestrational and harmonic details are the same. Sigh.

7 hours ago, Miz said:

But what is this new adventure theme during The Speeder Chase, and why does it matter? 

Well, if you are criticizing the way it was edited into (or out of) the movie, then I agree that there is a big problem.  If you are asking why Williams wrote an adventure motif for an adventure scene, then I think the problem is a lack of understanding of how film scoring works. 

I don’t think it was temped, they’re both in different keys for one, and “A New Home” doesn’t transition into Binary Sunset at all, it just ends.

I do think JJ asked for something in a similar vein; mysterious and magical. I though Rey was going to start the new Jedi Academy there or something.

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:36 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Why so much tracked music in this film?

I suspect that these music quotations (or 'tracking') from previous SW scores, specifically the ’77-’83 trilogy, are not all of Williams' ideas, at least not the bulk of it. 

Take the Sail Barge Assault sequence from ROTJ.  Williams first music cue for that sequence was completely original.  His replacement cue for that same sequence was riddled with quotes from ANH. My thinking is that as long as Lucas is bringing back the Death Star, why not bring back some of the music from ANH.

Now for TROS, I fell that putting in these musical reference from past SW scores was at Abrams’ suggestion as one of the ways to bring back old-school Star Wars fans that were lost during TLJ.

13 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Everyone agrees A New Home was temped with Jedi Steps right? Both the scene and the music share a number of similarities. For one, they're both followed by the exact same rendition of Binary Sunset!

Yes, I find the opening of A New Home with the cello (?) is reminiscent of Jedi Steps. And it's beautiful. Actually once the ostinato starts I become less interested. 

2 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Everyone agrees A New Home was temped with Jedi Steps right? Both the scene and the music share a number of similarities. For one, they're both followed by the exact same rendition of Binary Sunset!

Is it though? The main figure in a new home is a repeating 6 note figure. Jedi Steps has an actual melody with multiple phrases.

I tried it on the piano and they didn't come out similar. I thought it sounded similar to the chime part of Rey's theme with its repeating 7 notes but that's not it either.

It does sound familiar but I am not sure to what. It is a fairly basic progression to be honest.