The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Where can I find the Wayfinder motif? 

On 12/10/2019 at 3:11 PM, Jay said:

01 Prologue (1:45)

• 0:43 Wayfinder Theme

17 Approaching the Throne (4:16)

• 2:07 Wayfinder Theme

Also, what is the Heroics theme @Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) mentioned?

On 12/10/2019 at 3:11 PM, Jay said:

02 Falcon Flight (2:22)

• 1:53 Action Ostinato

07 Fleeing from Kimiji (1:53)

• 0:00 Action Ostinato

From the main post of the FYC thread

Listened to the score album twice - for the first times - yesterday.  (I had previously listened to it up through Anthem of Evil previously, but my CD rip had popping so I had to stop).

All in all, I think it was a very satisfying album.  I love the TROS concert suite, and really love the choral part of the Anthem of Evil suite.  I have no problem with the end credits - it's not nearly as rote as the TPM and AOTC ones that just needle drop the concert arrangements as-is.  Those are my low water mark for these things.

Overall, I'm very happy with the score and how it's presented here.

Honestly, when I left the theater, the score didn't really stick with me - didn't hear a lot of it, wasn't paying extreme attention to the music, etc.  The piece that I remembered the most was the needle-drop of Death of Darth Vader, since the movie actually stopped to breathe for a second and mixed the music front and center.   After seeing you guys talk about it for a bit, I do remember that there was a new march-like version of the Star Wars theme when the fleet arrived.  It seemed a little out of place in context at the time.   but that would be neat to have at some point. 

On 12/24/2019 at 12:27 PM, Erik Woods said:

My gift to you this holiday season. Here's my Fantasy End Credit suite of The Rise of Skywalker end title. I truly disliked the Finale cue on the album so my goal was to fix it by trying my best to eliminate as much previously established themes and only use new Rise of Skywalker themes and music in the suite.

I hope you enjoy! IMO, this is a much more satisfying finale then what Williams gave to us on the album and in the film.

Nice work!  I do wish Williams had found a place in one of his film credits suites for that bombastic concert ending from the TFA finale, incorporating Luke's theme into the final boom-crash.  Ingenious!

On 12/26/2019 at 11:20 AM, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

I just rewatched and feel a little less confident this is a real motif, but here's what I take people are attributing it as:

It's a real and distinctive motif onscreen. I hear the minor/#7 arp as part of the motif. And the 13th chords too. A very Sith sound!
Thank you again for the amazingly accurate and useful Complete Catalogue !

Yes, that's another instance of it, in fact that's the instance Falstaff uses on his website for it IIRC

Lando Arrives is based on the original OST A New Hope End Credit Star Wars theme (2.18-2.57) except played more triumphantly

In all the opening End Credits versions of the SW theme, the ANH OST is the only one with the full Star Wars  theme A and B sections. Even the "Throne Room" concert version cuts out the first part  and the B theme. IMO I always thought Throne Room should have kept it

I didn't really hear anything in the movie not featured on the OST that I would want. I did notice two cues that seemed to be tracked. Finn's Confession seemed to be exactly the same as TFA and Darth Vader's Death was clearly slapped together to underscore the interior Death Star 2. The hyped SW main theme when the civilian fleet arrived to me sounded like a Cincinnati Pops recording or something. There was one bit where Williams unwittingly repeated Return to Tatooine. There's a neat version of Rey's theme where she's training, but it's extremely brief. Other than that, nothing stood out that wasn't on the OST.

I don't think it's a matter of just highlights missing, as others have said it's the story and progression of the themes missing. The fact that we can't hear the heroic version of Kylo's theme on the soundtrack at all is a big whiff. Even just including "Parents" would have increased the quality of the album in a big way (but really they should have had "Parents" "Coming Together" and especially the cue that plays after that). 

Probably a controversial opinion but I kind of feel like while Anthem of Evil is not a bad piece by any means but ends up feeling like a poor use of space on the disc when so much is missing. But then I was always more of a 'want to hear what was in the film' kind of guy.

Kylo vs. Knights of Ren/Rey vs. Palpatine's guards is a phenomenal cue not on the OST or FYC that is like the little Reylo fanfare in A New Alliance from TLJ but on steroids, with Rey's, Kylo's and the Emperor's themes brought together! 

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There's lots of YouTube comments asking about missing music so hopefully Disney join the dots. 

Disney, they know how to join the dots of this sign: $.

Do they expand a lot of their recent movie soundtracks?

When they do it right away like Avengers .

Now that the botched  ROS OST is a done deal it could take years or maybe never

Why are our hopes any higher than TFA  or the Prequels?  I love how "optimistic" people here always point out it will happen"sometime in the future" and slam me for being negative all the time. Yeah,right .TLJ doesn't even count because your not supposed to hack the iso score

I understand why someone might think it's botched if you're looking at it from a POV where soundtrack albums are meant to have as close to all the newly composed music for the movie as possible, or alternately, that it's supposed to have a collection of all the film's "big moments" represented. But if you're not looking at it from that POV, I also understand looking at it as a good album. I also consider it a good album on its own, I think the music placed on it is good, the listening of going front to back on it is a very fulfilling, entertaining experience. Not that you'd need support from other people's opinions to validate your own, but if you wanted to, you could probably go through the OST thread when the album first leaked and watch people here come to that same conclusion upon their first or second listen, in real time. 

Despite the fact there's a lot of missing music from what's in the film (as well as a lot of tracked music and a very weirdly "remixed" version of Darth Vader's Death I'm not looking forward to re-encountering when this hits home video) I think not only is the album still the best presentation of the Sequel Trilogy, but some of his strongest work in a very long time. 

I'm not AS down on the prospects for an expanded release as others are, but my current hopes are that the response to The Last Jedi's isolated score (the fact there was a response at all was honestly surprising in and of itself) means Disney recognizes what an important feature this might be in selling their big boxset coming in a couple months. 

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

Kylo vs. Knights of Ren/Rey vs. Palpatine's guards is a phenomenal cue not on the OST or FYC that is like the little Reylo fanfare in A New Alliance from TLJ but on steroids, with Rey's, Kylo's and the Emperor's themes brought together! 

5 hours ago, King Mark said:

Did Jay put a clyp of that one?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31031-the-rise-of-skywalker-complete-score-discussion-spoilers-allowed/&do=findComment&comment=1678254

King Mark is senile in his old age and also claiming no one was interested in the complete score for Episode III. It was actually the reason I finally joined the forum back then because some putz who slapped audio from a bootleg copy of the movie with the OST tracks claimed to have the complete score. All lies.

4 hours ago, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

Here's some updated transcriptions and timings for what I take to be the new leitmotifs in TROS. I'm still not quite sure what to title the two Rise of Skywalker themes. I like "Fellowship" better than "Friendship" or "Trio," if only because it applies more broadly than to just Rey/Poe/Finn. If Giacchino hadn't already written a "Hope" theme for RO, I think either could warrant that label too.

TROS themes.png

Incidentally, how many JW themes is it now that revolve around a melodic 5-b6-#4 motif. There's the Knights of Ren, Peter Pettigrew, Chamber of Secrets, Nimbus 2000, Secret of the Scrolls, Count Dooku's little fanfare in AOTC...

Thanks for the updated list! But Kylo's redeemed variation is present in "Training Course", really...? I thought its first appearance was in "Parents": the shot of the X-Wing on Exegol, when Kylo moves into frame, before he goes to take on the Knights of Ren(?).

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

Thanks for the updated list! But Kylo's redeemed variation is present in "Training Course", really...? I thought its first appearance was in "Parents": the shot of the X-Wing on Exegol, when Kylo moves into frame, before he goes to take on the Knights of Ren(?).

Don't take my word for it! :)

1st Appearance of KR 1.5

When Rey mentions the Sacred Jedi Texts to show Leia, there's music similar to Chamber of Secrets' Dueling Club, but with The Emperor's theme as counterpoint.

10 hours ago, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

Here's some updated transcriptions and timings for what I take to be the new leitmotifs in TROS. I'm still not quite sure what to title the two Rise of Skywalker themes. I like "Fellowship" better than "Friendship" or "Trio," if only because it applies more broadly than to just Rey/Poe/Finn. If Giacchino hadn't already written a "Hope" theme for RO, I think either could warrant that label too.

TROS themes.png

Incidentally, how many JW themes is it now that revolve around a melodic 5-b6-#4 motif. There's the Knights of Ren, Peter Pettigrew, Chamber of Secrets, Nimbus 2000, Secret of the Scrolls, Count Dooku's little fanfare in AOTC...

I have a question about Rey. If Kylo redeemed is motivic, isn't what you call Ray Variant also motivic and should be promoted to a motif?

It is this one - 

I think this was always intended to be a part of Rey's theme and is not a derivation. It is even in the concert suit below - 

I think some of us call it Rey's Theme B section and it is very much a part of her theme.

57 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I have a question about Rey. If Kylo redeemed is motivic, isn't what you call Ray Variant also motivic and should be promoted to a motif?

It is this one - 

I think this was always intended to be a part of Rey's theme and is not a derivation. It is even in the concert suit below - 

I think some of us call it Rey's Theme B section and it is very much a part of her theme.

We think very much alike! The latest update to my list also promotes that motif leitmotivic status. It's not in the image I posted above only b/c it's first heard in TFA, not TROS.

7 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

King Mark is senile in his old age and also claiming no one was interested in the complete score for Episode III. It was actually the reason I finally joined the forum back then because some putz who slapped audio from a bootleg copy of the movie with the OST tracks claimed to have the complete score. All lies.

I don't even know who you are anymore

K.M. Who can't find the name change thread anymore and doesn't remember how to check the name changes in user profiles

yeah but you changed your name 2 or 3 times again since the last time I could still check.And Drax and that other guy also changed 2 or 3 times since then too

I think you have to right click on a small icon I can't find or see or something

I've noticed a short chord progression come up many times in this score that I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed. What's cool about it is that it often appears at important moments in the film and it even undergoes a transformation from minor into major at the end, so it seems to me something like a "harmonic signature" for the underscore of TROS. The links below are mostly from TROS, but I give one from each of the previous two films as well since it accompanies notable places in those films as well. These include Han's death in TFA and Luke's Exile theme in TLJ, but I don't think the progression is as pervasive in those films as it is in TROS. Also, it appears as a closing tag to the concert arrangement, "The Rise of Skywalker", as if it's Williams' musical goodbye to the saga.

Anyway, the progression could be called a minor chord to a minor(add b6). It usually has a melody in minor of scale degrees 5-6, often followed by a drop to scale degree 2 (sometimes 3). Here's where it appears. Thoughts?

Rey's last conversation with Leia:

As the friends escape from Kijimi in a ship:

After Ren tells Rey she is Palpatine's granddaughter:

As Rey decided to jump to the Falcon to escape Ren:

In the final saber fight when Rey says "I did want to take your hand... Ben's hand":

As Force-ghost Luke catches the saber Rey throws into her burning ship:

After being Force-drained by Palpatine, Rey regains consciousness to see him destroying the Resistance fleet:

TRANSFORMATION INTO MAJOR - After Rey kisses Ben for Force-reviving her and Ben smiles:

From TLJ - Luke's Exile theme:

From TFA - Han's death:

I really love how the choral use has evolved over the course of this trilogy - 

TFA - very sparing, only with the low bass voices for Snoke

TLJ - Snoke's singing returns + some light choral backing for frozen Leia + short choir moments for select scenes in the finale

TROS - choir everywhere