The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

22 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

I have a really vague feeling about reading a statement where JJ said that he never told JW what to write for any point in the film... does anyone else recall this? Seems like it would be relevant to this discussion...

There's the quote from Force Awakens where Williams said JJ's most recent note had been "Just do your thing"

2 hours ago, Ludwig said:

Here's what I get for that passage. Not quite the F#sus4 @Nick Parker suggested, but close!

Fleeing-from-Kijimi-01.png

I'd call these chords quartal rather than try to force them (haha) into third-based labels of major and minor chords. I included the last chord of the preceding passage because the latter one grows out of it. The sustained chord on top is used again in bar 3, though now with C# as bass, so truly quartal as C#-F#-B-E (upper parts rearranged, but bass is the "root", a bit like with major and minor chords). Add some of Williams beloved planing of the upper chords and that's pretty much the passage, harmonically, until the last chord, which veers away from pure quartal writing.

Quartal harmony is great because it kind of sits in between tonal and atonal - perfect for scenes of tension, especially when we're unsure which way a fight or battle is going to go at the moment.

Thanks, I was struggling with deciding if there was an E or B in those first chords. I also didn't know how appropriate it'd be to use the term quartal, just in case. It's a really nice musical decision to underscore the reveal that Hux is a spy, it has that somewhat emotional but pumped feeling. I also misheard the G# as an A, that's what I get for trying to hear bass on a phone. Makes a lot more sense that way, to keep up that quartal feeling. 

37 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

There's the quote from Force Awakens where Williams said JJ's most recent note had been "Just do your thing"

Every composer needs someone to push him a little. Abrams has too much respect for Williams. 

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

That was overridden by Kathy's note.

Kathy said - As many old themes as possible, specially the Emperor's theme. I find him the most relatable character.

26 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

It is unfortunate how choppy the music in the film is and with so much tracking. An iso score would probably be an awful listening experience.

no, like I said the unreleased music seems not heavily edited  so it can be salvaged and we can make a decent edit

Speaking of which - when I watched the movie, I couldn't actually tell what differences there were between the album version of the end titles and the film version, but I'd been told the film version was a minute shorter. IS there a difference, or is the Finale presentation on the OST actually film-accurate for once? 

1 hour ago, petek66 said:

I thought it was fitting (and maybe intentional?) that the Main Title in the end credits suite

hits as soon as the music department credits start rolling- led by Williams' conducting credit.

it's ok in the actual film credit but a total waste of spce on the OST

23 hours ago, Holko said:

Really not complete at all actually.

Really???? Maybe is because the score for The Mandalorian is not of my particular taste so probably I'm not so aware of the different missing cues! Out of curiosity, is there many music missing?

Ep4 is missing a single cue. Ep6 sounded like it was missing a lot, especially the triumphant orchestral ending. Ep7-8 are missig things too. It varies. Nothing groundbreaking but still.

Plenty of people don't seem to like the credits music. I find it the best of the 3 sequels. The transition from the ROS theme into the main titles is really good. I love the quieter start of the SW main theme. We never heard something like this before because the main titles usually start with a boom. 

4 hours ago, dylanskie said:

Apparently there's a Lego SW video game coming out sometime this year--hopefully it'll have some unreleased tracks from TROS! That's something to look forward to if they don't release a score-only version with this in March.

Don't get your hopes up. The Lego SW games usually don't have any unreleased music. Lego TFA only had one unreleased cue, and that was only because it was originally supposed to be on the OST.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

A sweet unreleased version of Kylo Rens Theme plays as he is shown to be alive and walks towards Rey and begins force-pulling himself.

:lol:

2 hours ago, Jay said:

FYC 10 Join Me  2:21 / OST 10 Join Me 3:42

The minute+ of action material heard on the OST from 2:05-3:17 is entirely absent in the film, replaced by 15 seconds of music tracked in from The Battle of the Resistance featuring Lukes Theme as Poe is shown to be piloting the Falcon outside. 

Wow! That's one of my favourite pieces of music on the whole OST and it went unused!

JW must have scored this sequence early and it underwent heavy cuts, or perhaps there was a flashback here that got moved. I've only seen the film once but weren't there multiple flashbacks with Rey's parents abandoning her and their deaths? The music is so tragic, I imagine it underscored the latter originally.

Pure speculation: The tragic music in FYC Hard to Get Rid Of (which underscores the flashback to their deaths in the final cut) almost sounds like a condensed revision of this unused tragic music in OST Join Me, so perhaps that flashback originally took place after Ren revealed that Rey is a Palpatine? Then, realising it was information overload in a short period, they moved a condensed version of the flashback to the earlier Force-conversation scene, with JW scoring it twice?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

:lol:

Fixed

Wow! That's one of my favourite pieces of music on the whole OST and it went unused!

You must have quoted my post pretty fast because I quickly revised the part you quoted right away.  Scroll back up see my much more detailed explanation.

JW must have scored this sequence early and it underwent heavy cuts, or perhaps there was a flashback here that got moved. I've only seen the film once but weren't there multiple flashbacks with Rey's parents abandoning her and their deaths? The music is so tragic, I imagine it underscored the latter originally.

Yes it sounds like it underscores him talking more about her parents for sure.

Pure speculation: The tragic music in FYC Hard to Get Rid Of (which underscores the flashback to their deaths in the final cut) almost sounds like a condensed revision of this unused tragic music in OST Join Me, so perhaps that flashback originally took place after Ren revealed that Rey is a Palpatine? Then, realising it was information overload in a short period, they moved a condensed version of the flashback to the earlier Force-conversation scene, with JW scoring it twice?

That makes a lot of sense!

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:28 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

- Possibly some material from TLJ from scenes on Ahch-To, although not explicitly stating any themes related to the island (when Rey, Finn and Poe are in the asteroid field after leaving Pasaana)

10 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

That's tracked music from TLJ ("Lesson Two"), using the beginning of the cue and then the part that references the Emperor's theme (:28):

That explains what I had heard, thanks Dominic!

Yeah, the tracked music from Lesson Two was very obvious to me when I first saw the film. I was distracted every time a TFA/TLJ cue was reused, because my brain kept working out where it came from. You have to wonder if JW scored original music for these sections (but JJ just preferred the temp) or if they were covering up last-minute edits that JW didn't have time to re-score?

The most bizarre is surely Darth Vader's Death. There's no way that shot was a last-minute pickup, so it wouldn't have gone unscored in the TROS sessions. And I don't see any reason why JW wouldn't have re-arranged and re-recorded that cue if JJ insisted on having it there.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

she tells Finn that it was The Emperor that had her parents killed, and then a new unreleased variant of Kylo Ren's Theme plays as Rey tells Finn that no one knows who she is. 

This is identical to Kylo Ren's theme at 0:45 - 0:58 in The Abduction from TFA. Sounds tracked.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

A brief scene where Kylo talks to The Emperor is scored by what I believe is tracked music that I can't place right now, which continues as the Falcon lands on Kef Bir and Jannah is shown tracking them as they land.

Indeed, it's tracked from TFA's unreleased cue Hey!

I just realized that the film version of I'm The Spy, the cue heard in the OST from 1:33-end of Fleeing from Kimiji, features Luke's Theme as Poe sees Rey is alive in the hangar and says "she's a survivor!"... but it's not like that on the OST version.  So either that's tracked in, or an insert, or something JW edited out of the OST version.

I put the wrong track name in my post, I fixed it now.  But I also just listened to the OST version closer and can hear a little Luke's Theme but I think it's longer and louder in the film?  I dunno, I'll have to check again later.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I just realized that the film version of I'm The Spy, the cue heard in the OST from 1:33-end of Fleeing from Kimiji, features Luke's Theme as Poe sees Rey is alive in the hangar and says "she's a survivor!"... but it's not like that on the OST version.  So either that's tracked in, or an insert, or something JW edited out of the OST version.

Doesn't he say that about the Millenium Falcon?

Edit: I've found an interesting bit of info on reddit

when Kylo was fighting the Knights of Ren at the end and the Williams music that was used for it was not what he [JJ] wanted at all. He seemed to think it was out of place.

https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthancrait/comments/eisnd8/heres_what_ive_been_told_from_a_source_that/

2 hours ago, Demodex said:

Does the OST have a lot of music that's both in the film and not on the FYC?

1. The Main Title cue in Fanfare and Prologue (0:00-1:26)
  2. The "Arrival on Pasaana" cue that's tucked into We Go Together (2:33-end)
  3. The "I'm The Spy" cue that's tucked into Fleeing From Kijimi (1:33-end)
  4. Destiny of a Jedi
  5. They Will Come
  6. The "Rey's Death" cue that's tucked into Farewell (0:00-0:48)
  7. Reunion
  8. Finale

We don't know why the Main Title recorded at the TLJ sessions wasn't used on the album, other than perhaps it was just a mistake.

There's some older conversation about this here

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28089-the-last-jedi-music-featurette-with-recording-sessions-footage-shown-at-opening-night-fan-event/&do=findComment&comment=1431177

9 hours ago, Jay said:

1. The Main Title cue in Fanfare and Prologue (0:00-1:26)
  2. The "Arrival on Pasaana" cue that's tucked into We Go Together (2:33-end)
  3. The "I'm The Spy" cue that's tucked into Fleeing From Kijimi (1:33-end)
  4. Destiny of a Jedi
  5. They Will Come
  6. The "Rey's Death" cue that's tucked into Farewell (0:00-0:48)
  7. Reunion
  8. Finale

Thanks, Jay. Can't wait for the rest of your posts!

14 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Doesn't he say that about the Millenium Falcon?

Yes, I think so, that's why is underscored with the main theme, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Bennett Boyle said:

Quick question, I know that almost the entirety of “Speeder Chase” didn’t appear in the film, but does the catchy adventure motif that repeats throughout the mostly unused track appear in the film?

Just once at the end when they blow up the final speeder. The rest is just tracked music from Falcon Flight and some variations on Rey's Theme in action mode (sounding similar to Rey Runs from TLJ, but probably just tracked from elsewhere in the score). 

I was listening to that IndyCast podcast about the score, and when they played the film version of the speeder chase cue I thought I heard some of the Training Cource cue tracked into it as well, a little bit before the bit tracked in from Falcon Flight

https://theindycast.com/the-magic-of-john-williams-47/

Or you can listen to it here

On 1/1/2020 at 4:39 PM, Jay said:

Unreleased music

Source music by JJ Abrams is heard as they first check out the festival, seguing to an unreleased cue as Nyambee approaches Rey and gives her a necklace.  Rey's Theme plays as she has to explain that she does not have a family name, which segues to ominous music as Rey and Kylo Ren begin their force conversation.  Most of the conversation plays with no score until Kylo Ren's Theme comes in towards the end, and the pace picks up as Rey realizes he grabbed her necklace and will be able to find them.  A brief pause in the music occurs when they get trapped by a stormtrooper but are saved by a masked helper, who is revealed to be Lando Calrissian as We Go Together plays.  Another unreleased cue covers Lando telling them about the Sith Wayfinder he was tracking with Luke, which starts slowly but picks up when they notice First Order ships approaching, and then Leia's Theme is heard when Lando asks Rey to give Leia his love.  After a brief pause, another brief, nonthematic unreleased cue begins as Poe begins to fix a speeder they can use, which leads into:

I didn't see it listed here, but the name of this source cue I believe is "Lido Hey" and is Written by Lin-Manuel Miranda and J.J. Abrams