The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

On 12/29/2019 at 8:31 AM, Ludwig said:

I've noticed a short chord progression come up many times in this score that I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed. What's cool about it is that it often appears at important moments in the film and it even undergoes a transformation from minor into major at the end, so it seems to me something like a "harmonic signature" for the underscore of TROS. The links below are mostly from TROS, but I give one from each of the previous two films as well since it accompanies notable places in those films as well. These include Han's death in TFA and Luke's Exile theme in TLJ, but I don't think the progression is as pervasive in those films as it is in TROS. Also, it appears as a closing tag to the concert arrangement, "The Rise of Skywalker", as if it's Williams' musical goodbye to the saga.

Anyway, the progression could be called a minor chord to a minor(add b6). It usually has a melody in minor of scale degrees 5-6, often followed by a drop to scale degree 2 (sometimes 3). Here's where it appears. Thoughts?

On 12/29/2019 at 8:31 AM, Ludwig said:

From TFA - Han's death:

I was listening to TFA the other day and I thought of this sub-topic, and (you may well have noted that) the progression appears in major mode form as the tension mounts before Kylo kills Han, foreshadowing post-kiss Ben but still with the ambiguity of the 2nd degree ending:

Does that mean the Williams featurette is available for those who pre-ordered? I can't see anything on the Australian stores, so it looks like this hasn't dropped early here.

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Does that mean the Williams featurette is available for those who pre-ordered? I can't see anything on the Australian stores, so it looks like this hasn't dropped early here.

Looks like it.Screenshot_20200313-234737~2.png

22 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I have no idea why they even bothered saying it was coming out on the 17th in that case. :P

I think this (plus Frozen II coming out months early on Disney+) is due to the Covid-19 measures - giving people stuff to watch (and buy in TROS's case).

37 minutes ago, kelliwisethebrave said:

I think this (plus Frozen II coming out months early on Disney+) is due to the Covid-19 measures - giving people stuff to watch (and buy in TROS's case).

Yeah that's probably it.

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

This has a nice rendition of the Anthem of Evil theme:

damn, did that cut in 1:15 of Rey leaping out of the Throne Room and unto a completely different part of the Death Star’s wreckage was like that in the actual movie?! Because that’s some stupid sh*t right there.

Plus, I really hate the whole “is Rey going to go evil?” aspect of the movie. After two films where she has been an unfailingly and quintessentially good person, Abrams and Ridley should have tried a lot harder than what they had in order to sell such an idea.

44 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

damn, did that cut in 1:15 of Rey leaping out of the Throne Room and unto a completely different part of the Death Star’s wreckage was like that in the actual movie?! Because that’s some stupid sh*t right there.

Nah, that's just an edit. The actual film cuts to something else.

3 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Since TRoS is available digitally, I've made a few edits using the audio channels to get unreleased material. Unfortunately, most of the cues contain SFX.

I used @crumbs menu rip for a section of the training cue and I think it sounds pretty good in full form!

5.1 or 7.1?

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

I love Transporter, it's pretty much a callback to the original Torn Apart, right?

I picked up on that too, the strings are almost verbatim the same. It could be partially tracked? 

The spreadsheet does seem to indicate this cue is called Rey's Incredible Hand though, along with noted usage of Kylo's Theme. So maybe just temp track love? Dramatically, the original Torn Apart would be an appropriate temp track there. 

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I picked up on that too, the strings are almost verbatim the same. It could be partially tracked? 

That was my thought as well!

I picked up on lots of tracking not listed in the November spreadsheet, so they were hacking up the film and score right until the death. Plus lots of cues run short in the final film that ran longer in the November cut. 

Wait a minute... Here are the music credits from the film:

image.png

What happened to Ramiro Belgardt??? I thought JW always worked with him as music editor. 

UPDATE: Well, I just checked the OST booklet, and Belgardt is credited there! (and no mention of an "Alex Levy") So I guess maybe the film credits were a mistake. Weird. 

Might be a different music editor working in the sound team, versus Ramiro who handles all the music at the recording sessions (presumably stitching together all the different takes under Williams' direction). 

But yeah, I figured he did both. Weird.

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

is that Williams source music?

No, it's JJ Abrams & Lin-Manuel Miranda, just like the source music from The Force Awakens.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Have the end credits been altered for the home video release like TFA's were?

i dont think so, i dont remember hearing anything different.

@Jay Actually no, apparently after listening to them at the same time, there is a longer pause after the trio theme before it goes to the anthem of evil, then it seems they shortened the anthem of evil theme taking out 2:23 to 3:02.

in the imperial march section they shorten it by removing 3:48 to 4:18. They also extended the transition from rey's theme to the TROS Suite just a bit.

For TROS suite section of the credits they take out 6:09 to 6:35 and then finally they extend the bombastic ending a bit compared to the official release.

so the film end credits is roughly 9:35, while the ost end credits is 10:51 (including the force theme)

We already knew the film's end credits was shorter than the OST's, I laid it all out here a while back. 

I was just wondering if the theatrical end credits had been further altered for the home video end credits, like TFA's was. 

Here's my attempt to very slightly "re-spot" the "Farewell" scene so the big musical climax hits on the view of the Falcon w/ X-wings, rather than being synced to the shot of Poe taking off his helmet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15XaaLpYgbc0wtvc50fFZuHxrQT9Uyxg-/view?usp=sharing

This also has the advantage of moving the exciting little figure before the main theme to right when Rey's ship first comes into view (in the actual film, it starts amid the wreckage, which seemed weird to me). I wonder if something like what I posted above could have been JW's original intention.

Admittedly, though, the actual film version feels very natural to me now (perhaps that's just from familiarity, to be sure) so now my version, posted above, feels a little weird to me haha, even though originally the film syncing (particularly the big emphasis on Poe taking off his helmet) had felt strange to me.  

@Jay, @crumbs, or anyone else - any thoughts? 

It works great, Will! I felt it was weightless in the film and especially didn't like on rewatch how the theme seemed to come as a reaction to Finn's meh line "people are rising up all over the galaxy".

I'd love to see how the original ending to They Will Come (with that heroic rendition of the Victory Theme) syncs to the film, before some genius decided to replace it with March of the Resistance from TFA.

16 hours ago, Will said:

Here's my attempt to very slightly "re-spot" the "Farewell" scene so the big musical climax hits on the view of the Falcon w/ X-wings, rather than being synced to the shot of Poe taking off his helmet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15XaaLpYgbc0wtvc50fFZuHxrQT9Uyxg-/view?usp=sharing

@Jay, @crumbs, or anyone else - any thoughts? 

Problem was the mix in the film. The music had no weight to it. Now you use the OST with SFX free clip of course it sounds great