The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

16 hours ago, Jay said:

This really should have been on the OST and we shouldn't even be needing to work on it like this.

Except that would've put the main title fanfare on the OST three times.

Opening, Lando's Arrival and once again in that end title suite.

I would've preferred it NOT being in the credits.

Not a fan of copied music from elsewhere...

Lol yeah. I've actually been just stopping the end credits track when it gets to the main title. Just yesterday I finally got around to making an edit that's actually pleasant to listen to, with the ending of the Rise of Skywalker track from the OST. I also managed to cut out some of the other rehashed material, both from the Finale and the Reunion tracks.

The Lando's Arrival cue, when I heard it in the theater I rolled my eyes big time because I thought they just grabbed music from the end credits. I know everybody here is saying it's unique, and maybe I'll appreciate it more one day when we get it clean, but it still seems too close to the end credits for me to actually get excited. Kinda like in TLJ when Here They Come popped up, and it did have some changes thrown in, but it was still felt like a huge nostalgic throwback rather than a fresh take on the material.

53 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

The Lando's Arrival cue, when I heard it in the theater I rolled my eyes big time because I thought they just grabbed music from the end credits. I know everybody here is saying it's unique, and maybe I'll appreciate it more one day when we get it clean, but it still seems too close to the end credits for me to actually get excited. 

There's a post on the previous page with a video of the cue with all the dialogue and a lot of the sound effects removed. Check it out. It's CERTAINLY different from the end credits. 

I did listen to that, and I know it's not identical to the end credits, but the effect is so much the same that I don't really wish they had used space on the OST for that. Something like Scherzo for X-Wings that's a completely new take is more interesting for me.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I've actually been just stopping the end credits track when it gets to the main title. Just yesterday I finally got around to making an edit that's actually pleasant to listen to, with the ending of the Rise of Skywalker track from the OST. I also managed to cut out some of the other rehashed material, both from the Finale and the Reunion tracks.

Care to share? :)

And on the same subject; did anyone make a TLJ end title edit that removes Yoda's Theme?

It doesn't seem fitting to me.

53 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Care to share? :)

Yes!

53 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

And on the same subject; did anyone make a TLJ end title edit that removes Yoda's Theme?

It doesn't seem fitting to me.

I agree it would make it more listenable to trim it down. Haven't gotten around to it yet, though.

On 3/17/2020 at 1:36 PM, Falstaft said:

Official sheet music finally starting to come out:

https://tinyurl.com/rwwfkyv

On 3/17/2020 at 1:43 PM, Fabulin said:

I like how it shows 12 arrangements, just like for TFA and TLJ, and when you click "more" once again, you see the extracelluloid Speeder Chase :lol:

13 arrangements, by my count:

Fanfare and Prologue
Journey to Exegol
We Go Together
The Speeder Chase
The Final Saber Duel
Anthem of Evil
The Rise of Skywalker
Destiny of a Jedi
Battle of the Resistance
The Force Is with You
Farewell
Reunion
A New Home

Great selection of pieces! I was hoping for the last minute of “The Old Death Star” to be in there somewhere though, the big pulsing and exciting bit that ends the track (only saw the film once and don’t know what the actual cue is called)

It' s sad that the only salvagable bit of unreleased music from the whole TROS Home Video/BluRay  releases  is the partial cue of Rey Trains. No iso score. nothing else. Lando Arrives would have made a great menu cue somewhere but no

They don't seem to use Williams music in games anymore so were stuck with what we have for a looooong time.

Apologies in advance if this has been mentioned earlier, but has anyone been able to do an isolated score match-up of the OST version of “The Speeder Chase” with the film? I got so attached to that cue and was absolutely gutted when it was butchered in the film 😩

Can we expect to get a full score one day? I think for the Last Jedi we were lucky to get a version of the movie with only the music. If this doesn't happen with TROS, is there still hope to get a complete album? :mellow:

That's awesome! Very prequel-esque, reminds me of the Grievous material. It's such a shame we can't get soundtrack releases in full 7.1 sound, considering they're mastered that way. A stereo 2.0 downmix of all those channels is so archaic by modern audio standards.

42 minutes ago, crumbs said:

That's awesome! Very prequel-esque, reminds me of the Grievous material. It's such a shame we can't get soundtrack releases in full 7.1 sound, considering they're mastered that way. A stereo 2.0 downmix of all those channels is so archaic by modern audio standards.

I heard that TFA 7.1 was actually just the music in stereo or 5.1 with reverb added for the extra channels.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:25 AM, King Mark said:

It' s sad that the only salvagable bit of unreleased music from the whole TROS Home Video/BluRay  releases  is the partial cue of Rey Trains. No iso score. nothing else. Lando Arrives would have made a great menu cue somewhere but no

They don't seem to use Williams music in games anymore so were stuck with what we have for a looooong time.

A post in the Last Jedi isolated score thread seems to indicate that the entire iso score for TROS will be on the Blu-Ray:

The back of the box says it will be on the normal Blu-ray.

2MdyEN6.jpg

That means we get the whole thing, right?  Assuming this graphic is correct.

On 3/24/2020 at 11:16 PM, igger6 said:

A post in the Last Jedi isolated score thread seems to indicate that the entire iso score for TROS will be on the Blu-Ray:

That means we get the whole thing, right?  Assuming this graphic is correct.

That's the back of the Last Jedi blu ray, not the Rise of Skywalker blu ray.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Also, I have no idea why the cue we used to call "We Go Together" is called "The Medal", because there is no medal seen at all in that scene

I suspect there was a deleted scene involving the medal which reappears with Leia later (and gets handed to Chewy at the end).

Well, I think it reappears with Leia during her death scene. It was in the trailer, who knows if it made the final cut.

Edit: Seems like it might have been old footage from TFA? Didn't realise they shot stuff with the medal on that film. 

The medal was to appear again in the 2015 film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, but the footage was dropped from the finished film.[6] However, the footage was repurposed and was featured in the 2019 film Star Wars: Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker.[7]

BTW, I don't think the evil fanfare over the reveal of the Exogol temple is tracked. The OST track lines up perfectly with the film for about 90 seconds after that moment, they just dialed out most of it in the final cut. 

The first two OST tracks are such a confusing mess. I'd love to see a detailed breakdown of what they contain (chronologically it's an absolute mess, at least based on the final cut). 

It has to be tracked.  The music in OST track 1 is surely all Mustafar music, not Exegol music, as we know there was a ton of stuff deleted here (extended fight with the Knights of Ren helping him, something with Vader's castle, Kylo finding the Oracle and talking to it to get the Wayfinder, etc) 

If you look at the Nov 11 cut info, the Mustafar sequence originally ran for almost 4 minutes (it's under a minute in the final cut), then the film would have gone to Rey training and talking to Leia, then to the Falcon flight, THEN to Kylo traveling to Exegol and talking to the Emperor.  And OST track 2 seems to be that Exegol music, which we don't know the cue titles for because the document we got only goes through the first 12 1/2 minutes of reel 1 for whatever reason

This is what we think makes up OST track 1

On 1/15/2020 at 4:45 PM, Jay said:

I think Williams may have constructed the OST track "Fanfare and Prologue" to be like the film was in the Nov 11 cut

[0:00-1:26] = 1M01 Main Title
[1:26-2:06] = 1M022 The Ninth Beginning, which ran for 40 seconds in Nov 11 cut with 6 seconds of Kylo's Theme, just like here
[2:06-end] = 1M08 Approaching The Nursery, which is notated as containing The Emperor's Theme in the portion of it that is tracked into reel 3 in the Nov 11 cut

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It's bugging me I can't place what that tracked bit just before Ship Trip, it sounds familiar yet I can't place it

Got a clyp of that?

Does anyone recognize this music?  It plays in the middle of the "3M0 Lando" cue in the final cut as he tells the heroes about Ochi and his crashed speeder, but I believe it's tracked in from somewhere else.  I believe this because in the Nov 11 cut, 43 seconds of "5M10 Landing at ?" (aka The Old Death Star) were tracked into this spot, but the scene must have been shortened since then, as the portions of 3M0 Lando used are shorter as well so I think they changed the music to something else.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Does anyone recognize this music?  It plays in the middle of the "3M0 Lando" cue in the final cut as he tells the heroes about Ochi and his crashed speeder, but I believe it's tracked in from somewhere else.

Yes, this is from The Last Jedi. The beginning of Rose Appears (well, that's the track I've put it into for my iso assembly). It belongs to the scene where Holdo first speaks with Poe:

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Yes, this is from The Last Jedi. The beginning of Rose Appears (well, that's the track I've put it into for my iso assembly). It belongs to the scene where Holdo first speaks with Poe:

That's 2M18A Holdo's Secret Plan (Identified by it's placement in the online cue list matching it's tracked place during Poe stalling Hux at the beginning of the film, about 4 minutes in).

15 hours ago, Jay said:

If you look at the Nov 11 cut info, the Mustafar sequence originally ran for almost 4 minutes (it's under a minute in the final cut), then the film would have gone to Rey training and talking to Leia, then to the Falcon flight, THEN to Kylo traveling to Exegol and talking to the Emperor. 

I'm not convinced this is the case. In actual fact, my current theory is the entire Mustafar sequence was omitted from the November 11 cut!

The timestamp of Vader's Castle in the final cut lines up perfectly if you go from the opening crawl to the space shot of Kylo flying towards the red storm (rather than the shot of TIEs approaching Mustafar).

It's possible they decided the Mustafar sequence was completely superfluous after condensing it so heavily, but they reinstated a few fragments in the dying weeks of post?

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm not convinced this is the case. In actual fact, my current theory is the entire Mustafar sequence was omitted from the November 11 cut!

The timestamp of Vader's Castle in the final cut lines up perfectly if you go from the opening crawl to the space shot of Kylo flying towards the red storm (rather than the shot of TIEs approaching Mustafar).

It's possible they decided the Mustafar sequence was completely superfluous after condensing it so heavily, but they reinstated a few fragments in the dying weeks of post?

Would that even have been possible? I think that scene with the finding of the Wayfinder is rather crucial to the plot

Will reply to recent messages soon, but I got up through the Speeder Chase last night

Start End Reel / Part Cue Length Tracked Tracked
(Prior
Films)
Source
Music
FYC   OST  
0:18 1:44 1M01 Main Title 1:26           01A [0-1:26] Fanfare and Prologue 1:26
1:44 1:54 TRACKED 1M1A Starry Night from Ep7     0:10          
1:54 2:02 TRACKED "Journey to Exegol"   0:08     01A [0-8] Prologue 0:08 02 [0:47-0:51] Journey to Exegol 0:04
2:02 2:50 ?M? "Journey to Exegol" 0:48       01B [8-0:56] Prologue 0:48 02B [1:02-1:40 / 2:13-2:33] Journey to Exegol 0:58
2:50 3:22 TRACKED 6M13 Rey's Trip To P   0:32     01C [0:56-1:28] Prologue 0:32    
3:22 3:32 TRACKED 1M022 The Ninth Beginning   0:10     01D [1:28-1:37] Prologue 0:09 01C [1:45-1:52] Fanfare and Prologue 0:07
3:32 3:38 TRACKED 5M06 Hard To Get Rid Of   0:06     01E [1:37-end] Prologue 0:07    
4:21 4:33 ?M? "Every Voice Inside Your Head" 0:12              
4:33 4:40 TRACKED 1M08 Approaching The Nursery   0:07         01E [2:52-2:58] Fanfare and Prologue 0:06
4:40 5:14 ?M? "Every Voice Inside Your Head" continued 0:34              
5:24 5:31 ?M? "The Final Order" 0:07              
5:31 5:46 TRACKED "Journey to Exegol"   0:15         02C [1:56-2:13] Journey to Exegol 0:16
5:46 6:40 ?M? "The Final Order" continued 0:54              
7:53 10:17 1M14 Falcon Flight 2:14       02 Falcon Flight 2:22    
10:17 10:28 1M24 Meditation 0:21              
10:28 10:51 1M09 Rey Wakes Up 0:23              
10:51 11:48 1M20 Rey Training 0:57              
11:48 12:16 1M05 Rey Trains 0:28              
12:52 13:43 1M13 Tell Me What They Are 0:51              
15:17 17:16 2M30 Rey's Mission 1:59              
17:19 19:26 2M06 The Medal 2:07       03 We Go Together 2:10 09A [0-2:33] We Go Together 2:33
19:26 20:41 2M02 Fixing The Helmet 1:15              
21:14 21:16 TRACKED unknown cue at this time   0:02            
21:16 21:40 2M07 Ship Trip 0:24           09B [2:33-end] We Go Together 0:44
21:40 22:45 2S35 JJ Festival Music       1:05        
22:45 23:47 0M01 Children's School 1:02              
24:27 24:47 0M01 Children's School continued 0:20              
24:47 25:20 2M01 Cockpit Dialog 0:33              
25:20 25:38 TRACKED 8M05 Jumping The Chain   0:18            
25:38 26:08 3M00 Lando 0:30              
26:20 26:39 TRACKED unknown cue at this time   0:19            
26:39 27:15 3M00 Lando continued 0:36              
27:15 27:45 3M01 Before The Chase 0:30           05A [0-0:35] The Speeder Chase 0:35
27:45 29:56 3M03 No Title 2:11           05B [0:35-end] The Speeder Chase 1:46

The Speeder Chase isn't broken down into what's tracked and what isn't yet by me, however, @crumbs already figured it all out!

On 2/19/2020 at 6:46 AM, crumbs said:

0:00-0:26 fragments of Speeder Chase (including sections microedited from the OST)
0:27-0:44 fragment of random action music from elsewhere
0:44-0:53 fragments of Speeder Chase
0:54-1:03 fragment of Falcon Flight artifically moved up an octave
1:04-1:16 fragment of Falcon Flight
1:17-1:25 fragment of Falcon Flight
1:26-1:35 fragment of Crashing the Party from The Last Jedi
1:36-1:48 fragment of random action music from elsewhere
1:49-2:02 fragment of Speeder Chase
2:03-2:11 sounds like an alternate ending to Speeder Chase
2:12-2:18 fragment of Speeder Chase
2:19-2:35 probably the intended film ending for Speeder Chase, which JW replaced with a concert ending for album

1 hour ago, Bofur01 said:

Would that even have been possible? I think that scene with the finding of the Wayfinder is rather crucial to the plot

They stripped out all context of what planet it was, what Kylo was doing there, who he was fighting, and what the object he found was. From an editorial perspective, it's conceivable they tried a cold open version of the film without the sequence at all.

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Speeder Chase isn't broken down into what's tracked and what isn't yet by me, however, @crumbs already figured it all out!

Having studied the 5.1 mix of this sequence ad nauseum, I can provide more detail than my original breakdown.

• The album ending isn't an "album ending"; it appears JW's intended ending was replaced with an insert/new ending, likely for tonal reasons
  • The opening of the OST track isn't microedited; the first 30-40 seconds of the cue fits the film fine (I don't know why it's looped/edited in the film)
  • The fragments of random action music I couldn't place are from Rey Trains

If they wanted us to know it was Mustafar, they could've put the box containing the Wayfinder in the middle of a lava lake, and Kylo Ren would be hopping from droid to droid to reach it, like Anakin and Obi-Wan were fighting upon.

3502835176_42.jpg

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Rogue One did a far better job establishing Vader's castle with a sweeping reveal of the landscape.

And yet I didn't really know that was Mustafar, either.

It really doesn't matter though. The movie has other, far bigger issues.

I don't need a web essay to tell me that which is appearantly evident: the film is just too quickly paced. I don't think I've ever something quite so frenetic.

That, and giving into the worst tropes in the Star Wars corpus in the writing (i.e. people always being related, and the villain getting redeemed) are what tanked this film.

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Does anyone recognize this music?  It plays in the middle of the "3M0 Lando" cue in the final cut as he tells the heroes about Ochi and his crashed speeder, but I believe it's tracked in from somewhere else.  I believe this because in the Nov 11 cut, 43 seconds of "5M10 Landing at ?" (aka The Old Death Star) were tracked into this spot, but the scene must have been shortened since then, as the portions of 3M0 Lando used are shorter as well so I think they changed the music to something else.

11 hours ago, crumbs said:

Yes, this is from The Last Jedi. The beginning of Rose Appears (well, that's the track I've put it into for my iso assembly). It belongs to the scene where Holdo first speaks with Poe

10 hours ago, CGCJ said:

That's 2M18A Holdo's Secret Plan (Identified by it's placement in the online cue list matching it's tracked place during Poe stalling Hux at the beginning of the film, about 4 minutes in).

Thanks so much, gents!  I got another confirmation that the music indeed 2M18A Holdo's Secret Plan, HOWEVER!  Only from 0:06-end of that clip I posted.  Does anyone recognize 0:00-0:06?  Maybe that's still part of 3M0 Lando, and not tracked music?

12 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's hard to imagine the film not containing Mustafar at all, since that's where the concept of Wayfinders is set up.

Also, we don't know what the "Vader's Castle" cue is.  It's certainly possible that it's the powerful Imperial March rendition we hear on the OST in track 1 from 2:52-2:58, but there's no proof of that, unless I missed something.

But yes, I suppose it's possible reel 1 was only 12 1/2 minutes in this cut because they had completely cut out Mustafar.... Fascinating!

@crumbs, I watched the "Speeder Chase" scene from the film again today and I could have sworn that statement of the "Falcon Flight" heroic fanfare was new... Don't the winds sound more pronounced? Or is that just because of the alleged upward pitch change? 

Also, more importantly, what you identify as the "Crashing the Party" TLJ segment (or maybe moreso the material right after that) also sounds a little bit new to me... Particularly the part right around (slightly before) where Rey says "Never underestimate a droid!" That sounds like an awesome new heroic version of Rey's theme....

Then, again, I'm listening with all the SFX so maybe my ears are deceiving me! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Will said:

Also, more importantly, what you identify as the "Crashing the Party" TLJ segment (or maybe moreso the material right after that) also sounds a little bit new to me... Particularly the part right around (slightly before) where Rey says "Never underestimate a droid!" That sounds like an awesome new heroic version of Rey's theme....

You're right, it begins similarly to Crashing the Party but it evolves into something else, more reminiscent of the Rey action material towards the end of the film (when she fights Palpatine's guards). Who knows, really.

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

You're right, it begins similarly to Crashing the Party but it evolves into something else, more reminiscent of the Rey action material towards the end of the film (when she fights Palpatine's guards). Who knows, really.

Ooooh, good point - it could be tracked from an alternate version of the guards fight or something...

Here's the music in question. This could even be an alternate to Crashing the Party (no idea if the cue list indicates such a thing existing).

And for reference, the Rey action material at the end vs Palpatine's guards, which is tonally different (more celebratory and less aggressive):