The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

8 minutes ago, Evanus said:

Wow, that pretty much 100% confirms they recorded a new version of Duel of the Fates. I know there was a leak that mentioned it, but I hadn't seen this before. 

Gimme the complete score already! 

Well, and excerpt anyway. It's probably like 10 seconds of it :lol:

3 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well, and excerpt anyway. It's probably like 10 seconds of it :lol:

Considering how much of a chaotic mess the film is, you're probably right. :lol: 

Do we have any idea which scene it was written for?

14 minutes ago, Evanus said:

Do we have any idea which scene it was written for?

I mean, its Sith music so it lends itself to the scenes on Exegol. Probably the choral stuff under Palpatine addressing the Sith loyalists.

On 08/08/2023 at 12:55 PM, BrotherSound said:

I've got the FYC pretty much figured out, but there's still some unknowns in the OST:

OST

13 Battle of the Resistance 2:51

0:00-1:19 7M12 Seven Twelve

1:19-end 7M12A Horses #2

FYC

16 Battle of the Resistance 1:54

0:00-1:19 7M12 Seven Twelve

1:19-1:39 7M12A Horses #2

1:39-end 7M12 Seven Twelve

I think this is definitely wrong:

image.png

The FYC is an extended/edited version of the second cue of the OST track, which would make it almost entirely 7M12A Horses #2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

The final cut uses a combination of two (1M24 and 1M9).

The November 11th cut does, but the final cut appears to use only 1M9.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

As for the earliest version of the cue, 1M3 Nothing Is Impossible? Well, fortuitously, it appears we can hear a snippet of that in the making-of doco!

The sheets leaked for 1M3, and that’s not what’s being recorded there. I believe that’s most likely 1M24 Meditation, which ended up being used only for the second scene with Rey and Leia, which is probably what 1M9 Rey Wakes Up was actually written for, as well as the later 1M13 Tell Me What They Are.

8 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

The November 11th cut does, but the final cut appears to use only 1M9.

That can't be right. The final cut clearly uses a different version of the Force Theme for the shot of Rey floating, than the new version in the clip Chewy shared.

Compare 0:00-0:32:

14 hours ago, Chewy said:

...to the film version. The Force Theme is different.

The material from 0:34 onwards sounds the same as the final cut though, for the scene between Rey and Leia (albeit heavily cut down).

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

...to the film version. The Force Theme is different.

The material from 0:34 onwards sounds the same as the final cut though, for the scene between Rey and Leia (albeit heavily cut down).

image.png

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

That can't be right. The final cut clearly uses a different version of the Force Theme for the shot of Rey floating, than the new version in the clip Chewy shared.

Oh, yes, you’re right. Must be a mistake in GEMA, because it only shows 1M9 Rey Wakes Up before 1M20 Rey’s Training:

AMH795: Lightspeed Skipping

AMH856: The Resistance Theme

AMH857: Rey Wakes Up

AMH858: Rey’s Training

AMH859: The Wisdom of Maz

AMH860: Meditation

AMH861: Rey’s Mission

So where does that leave us.  Which cue(s) score the scene in the film, and which of them is this new menu music from?

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

So where does that leave us.  Which cue(s) score the scene in the film, and which of them is this new menu music from?

Does this mean we actually have FOUR versions now?

The newly discovered version posted by Chewy, the film version (which might be a combination of different versions), the alternate instrumentation version in the making-of documentary, and the completely unheard (but leaked in sheet music) first version, 1M3 Nothing Is Impossible, that went totally unused?

I'm starting to remember why deciphering this score was migraine-inducing.

I thought this clip was just a longer version one of of the 2 cues used (briefly) in the scene

The first 30 seconds is different though, which doesn't match the new cue, nor 1M3 (maybe someone with the sheets can describe or mockup that version? @ragoz350?), and there's yet another version in the documentary. So that's 4 versions.

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The first 30 seconds is different though, which doesn't match the new cue, nor 1M3 (maybe someone with the sheets can describe or mockup that version? @ragoz350?), and there's yet another version in the documentary. So that's 4 versions.

perhaps the film version force theme is tracked from another cue not written for the scene?

2 hours ago, Tom said:

How is this for irony?  With the original Star Wars, JW thinks he is scoring a B-movie that might make for nice lazy Sunday afternoon movie.  Then, with the last one, he scores just that movie.  

I'd say it's more of a labored Sunday afternoon movie

2 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

perhaps the film version force theme is tracked from another cue not written for the scene?

Indeed, that's yet another possibility :lol:

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

In 1M3, there is no rendition of the Force theme. There is Leia's theme. Someone already did a mockup of this short cue:

Well that's even more confusing... definitely doesn't sound like it belongs to the shot of Rey meditating, but clearly the ending is meant to segue into 1M4 Through The Jungle.

The earliest cut JW scored must have been completely different, or maybe the meditation scene was first scored at the end of 1M2.

8 hours ago, Tom said:

How is this for irony?  With the original Star Wars, JW thinks he is scoring a B-movie that might make for nice lazy Sunday afternoon movie.

I keep hearing that. On the other hand, this was Williams' first score for a grand symphony orchestra. Would that be a composers approach to scoring a B-movie?

I mean it was only posted 30 hours ago, what's so weird about just finding it now?

I might have taken longer to read it as I wasn't expecting a new unreleased cue to pop up. 

BFG DVD menu has an unreleased track the BluRay doesn't have so I'm surprised we failed to check TROS

16 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

So where are y'all sequencing this new cue in your edits?

Depends on if you prefer to sequence it how it was used, or how it was apparently intended: just before Rey Trains for the former, just after for the later.

3 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

So where are y'all sequencing this new cue in your edits?

I'll just put it before the Rey Training cue . I guess it probably needs volume adjustment

If there's some really clever music editors out there, they could overlap the Rey Training cue (also available with a clean opening on the Blu-ray menu) with the end of this cue and make a new 3 minute track!

Unfortunately the last part of that second cue would need to come from the rear channels, but better than nothing.

On 08/01/2024 at 11:53 PM, crumbs said:

If there's some really clever music editors out there, they could overlap the Rey Training cue (also available with a clean opening on the Blu-ray menu) with the end of this cue and make a new 3 minute track!

It works  if you overlap the drumroll that ends the "meditation" cue with  the drum roll that leads into the training cue (cutting 3 seconds of music that begin the Training cue menu rip)

Anyways I did that and it now sounds like a Williams assembled album track even if it's not really meant to go there.

Keeping the 2 cues separate with the first having a weird ending and the other a fake fade in sounds like you just tossed in 2 Blu Ray menu tracks 

I just listened to the OST FYC edit I have and the combined cues fit right in without my ears being alerted that something was wrong.