The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

I think it could be anything at this point. It's nothing we've already heard before, though, even though it's strongly reminiscent to Crashing the Party! Listening to those two segments really makes me want to rip the score, even though it has SFX... Rey's theme might be the best thing to come out of the sequel trilogy.

I just moved a bunch of posts out because I want to leave this thread to be a discussion of the score to this film, not about tangentially related aspects of the entire saga.  Thanks!

On 1/9/2020 at 1:24 AM, crumbs said:

Plus the gorgeous, resolved rendition in A New Home.

In A New Home, I would say that Rey's Theme resolve rather rather open-ended. The dark-sounding cello cadence resolves, but with those repeating notes in the fore, just like the concert version of Rey's Theme. The 6-note figure is a variation of the first bars of her theme, which modulates (upwardly) throughout, also similar to Rey's Theme.

John Williams is trying to tell us something with cellos at 0:16. Removing the second-to-last note of the phrase reveals the major triad of The Imperial March.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:31 AM, Cerebral Cortex said:

I'd been wanting to see for a while now how well the "taking off" section of We Go Together would work with the similar sequence from ROTJ. Even with some editing, it's still clunky, but it might still be fun to see. 

Love this; thanks for sharing. One of my favorite moments of the TROS score & film. Amazing how well it fits this scene, too.

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Since I am not able to upload any of the music to YouTube, I've begun uploading several of my removed playlists to Google Drive. I've also uploaded my TROS edit, which I am still currently working on. Here's the playlist for anyone interested:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WSm5w72kUcAWVsuWJ6aob0DKGDIEyToz

I can't play them but thanks.

8 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I can't play them but thanks.

I've been discussing that with several other people... It appears that Google Drive has a daily server capacity; basically the number of people that can view a file each day is limited. I'll have to find an alternative place to upload them.

21 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Could you upload them to Mega? @Manakin Skywalker

I'm looking for more of a YouTube-like platform for people to view (not download) the videos. Once I finish the edits in the future I might just put them up on Squidboard or something.

I've never seen a platform so against its own users. It's fine if you're in the creator partnerships, but if you want to share music, videos, news other than the mainstream outlets, opinions not sanctioned by Google - then you're out!

What drives me crazy is that there is no losless audio option. Old-timers upload archival recordings from their antique vinyls, acetates, shellacs, player pianos, and even cylinders for posterity only to have the already lossy sound distorted into 96kbps or whatever the r compression output on this platform is.

But hey, at least they offer some free (mildly compressed) rarae aves too. I've found recordings in higher quality there than on desktop Spotify.

On 4/4/2020 at 1:02 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Since I am not able to upload any of the music to YouTube, I've begun uploading several of my removed playlists to Google Drive. I've also uploaded my TROS edit, which I am still currently working on. Here's the playlist for anyone interested:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WSm5w72kUcAWVsuWJ6aob0DKGDIEyToz

EDIT: yes, I am aware of the playback issue.

Were these scenes from the movie with just the music?  Or is there dialogue and sound effects too?

23 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

How do you d/l individual files. I also get a zip error when trying to d/l the whole thing

I love Kylo Ren's theme in Rey's Incredible Hand. Best rendition of that theme

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

How do you d/l individual files. I also get a zip error when trying to d/l the whole thing

Same. I think he might have disabled downloading. 

13 minutes ago, King Mark said:

It's meant to emulate my YouTube playlists, so downloading is disabled. If and when I finish the whole thing I might post it in the PM chain, unless someone else finishes their edit first.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:45 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

It's meant to emulate my YouTube playlists, so downloading is disabled. If and when I finish the whole thing I might post it in the PM chain, unless someone else finishes their edit first.

Wow this is cool. Would love a complete edit. I’ll have to check out your videos. One piece I’ve been so desperate to hear is the high strings arrangement of Palpatine’s theme when Rey is on the old Death Star, before her vision. 

46 minutes ago, DAK said:

Wow this is cool. Would love a complete edit. I’ll have to check out your videos. One piece I’ve been so desperate to hear is the high strings arrangement of Palpatine’s theme when Rey is on the old Death Star, before her vision. 

I'm not sure what piece you're thinking of, but the music that plays right before Rey's vision is actually from Return of the Jedi, called "Darth Vader's Death", which can be found here starting at 0:48

6 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm not sure what piece you're thinking of, but the music that plays right before Rey's vision is actually from Return of the Jedi, called "Darth Vader's Death", which can be found here starting at 0:48

Well damn how about that! I’ve only seen RoS once and was so caught up in that scene I guess my brain only registered that a Sith theme was playing, not specifically who’s. Yup that’s 13m02 from RotJ. Thanks. 

Looking at the list in the other thread, I'm wondering if the opening goes something like this?

Main Title (T1 0:00-1:26)

The Ninth Beginning (T1 1:26-2:04)

Approaching The Nursery (T1 2:04-4:12)

Vader's Castle (T2 1:56-end)

The OST T1 ending is cut down but can be heard in the FYC track The Prisoner as the first 28 seconds. I think that's actually where that piece might belong.

It makes sense for Vader's theme in Journey to Exegol onwards to be part of that sequence originally and that's how it is in the film, just with what appears to be inserts and tracked music added in. As for the rest of Journey To Exegol? That's anyone's guess. It could be for a sequence that was taken out of the film, or an alternative piece, or something that's not actually meant to play at that point at all. It wouldn't be the first time an OST track in Star Wars has been combined, titled something else and put in a different place.

The opening's a right mess, isn't it? I hope one day sheet music for the film leaks out...

Approaching The Nursery is for the original version of Kylo's talk with the Emperor on Exegol, that was both longer (the OST track is edited down from the full recording) and didn't feature the reveal that Palpatine had a fleet.  It looks like when that reveal got moved into the opening, in the Nov 11 cut, they tracked in 14 seconds of Vader's Castle and then 43 seconds of 8M04 Psalm of the Sith.. In the final cut, we hear the big Vader's Theme statement from OST track 2, so I'd assume that's Vader's Castle, but then 16 seconds of Geneology (Join Me), 13 seconds of Stop and Start (Final Lightsaber Duel), and 25 seconds of unknown music, which could be Psalm of the Sith, maybe.

The whole reason the OST and Nov 11 info only has The Ninth Beginning in between the Main Title and Approaching The Nursery seems to be because in the Nov 11 cut JJ had excised Mustafar from the film entirely.  I guess Williams liked what he originally wrote for Kylo's flight to Exegol and the fight he had with the Vader faithful so wanted it on the OST album.  So one possibility for track 2 is 0:00-0:51 is the original music for his flight there, replaced in the film with music tracked in from an alternate take of Rey's flight there.  And then 0:51-end is the original music for the battle Kylo had with the Vader faithful, since that's what music  still scores in the final cut, with Mustafar now restored.  Except the part from 1:56-2:13, which certainly seems to be Vader's Castle, potentially an insert that replaced a portion of the fight, like perhaps if he looks up and realizes he's close Vader's place and an establishing shot of it is scored by that powerful rendition of the theme.  Or maybe only 0:51-1:56 is for the fight, and 1:56-end is all Vader's Castle, but only a small portion of it was tracked into the fleet reveal scene.

Basically it's impossible to edit tracks 1 & 2 into a chronological order, since track 2 seems to contain music for Kylo's flight to Exegol yet track 1 contains a replacement cue for him arriving there when Mustafar was dropped from the film.  So you have to remove one or the other from a main playlist and move one to a bonus track to maintain some semblance of strict chronology

So Rey's journey to Exegol was longer at some stage too.

Listening to Journey to Exegol, I think you might be right on its order. If this score ever gets an expanded treatment in an official capacity, it's going to be interesting to see how it comes out.

What the heck was Abrams thinking with this editing?

It wasn't Abrams, it was his editor doing what any good film/media high school student does and edit any old piece of music in to hide the edits.

Are we sure Approaching the Nursery is for a Palpating scene, rather than when Kylo was supposed to talk to the oracle (baby’s head with the tentacle thing on top)? The title and creepy foreboding fit perfectly with the former, IMO 

1 hour ago, Bofur01 said:

Are we sure Approaching the Nursery is for a Palpating scene, rather than when Kylo was supposed to talk to the oracle (baby’s head with the tentacle thing on top)? The title and creepy foreboding fit perfectly with the former, IMO 

Why would it contain iterations of Palpatine's themes if it were just the Oracle scene?

57 minutes ago, Alex said:

God I can’t wait for an expanded release of this score.

You'll be waiting another forty years.

I am 100% sure it's only Kylo/Palpatine music and nothing else. I couldn't tell you what JW saw in the previz that made him think of a nursery. 

18 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

Why would it contain iterations of Palpatine's themes if it were just the Oracle scene?

Because... they talk about Palpatine a lot in the Oracle scene?

As far as I know, that scene was the Oracle simply stating that Ren had killed the Vader Cult and that he was worthy of the Wayfinder, or something. Williams would surely have underscored that with Vader's Theme instead.

Ah damn, I was sure I’d heard an audio recreation of the scene from the novelisation on YouTube or something, but I couldn’t find it. I thought the Oracle also spoke of Palpatine being on Exegol and similar things, but I’m probably wrong 

I don't think Kylo had any clue what he was going to find in Exegol until he got there

The crawl says Palpatine broadcasted his return, and that Kylo is seeking to destroy those who question his power, so I guess it's reasonable to assume he knew he would find something dark on Exegol.

Approaching the Nursery was definitely written for the Emperor/Ren meeting (and I don't believe that was the original cue title, either).

As Jay speculated, it's likely something else existed in the version Williams saw, potentially a room full of tanks with failed clone Palpatines (think Alien Resurrection and the failed Ripley clones, just replaced with Snoke clones in the final cut). There's about 15 seconds of missing footage in the final cut between the two fragments of music used from OST track 1, right after the shot with the Snoke tanks... so there's your hint.

Early leaks also indicated Kylo's first visit to Palpatine was more ambiguous in earlier versions of the film, with a decrepit old man on his deathbed being tended to by minders. It was originally unclear if this was Palpatine, which would only be revealed later in the story. We can all speculate why this was abandoned but Disney's marketing strategy seems the likely explanation.

So there's several reasons Williams used 'nursery' in the cue title. Either a loose interpretation of the word's definition (a place where plants and trees are grown) or the location being both a cloning facility and nursing ward to revive Palpatine to full health, so it makes sense as a cue title.

9 minutes ago, Arpy said:

The crawl says Palpatine broadcasted his return, and that Kylo is seeking to destroy those who question his power, so I guess it's reasonable to assume he knew he would find something dark on Exegol.

I think this was a very, very late addition. It makes almost zero sense in the logic of the film (which there is almost none -- but this specific element comes across as an idea cooked up late in post by some moron in marketing, complete with that idiotic cross-promotion in Fortnite of all things).

1 hour ago, Bofur01 said:

Ah damn, I was sure I’d heard an audio recreation of the scene from the novelisation on YouTube or something, but I couldn’t find it. I thought the Oracle also spoke of Palpatine being on Exegol and similar things, but I’m probably wrong 

Might have been a clip from the audiobook.