The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

1 hour ago, Demodex said:

The concert arrangement of Anthem of Evil just seems like random, forgettable melodies.

This is so wrong really, I personally love that track.

20 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

@crumbs Continuing the game of deciphering little glimpses of sheet music:

image.png

Here's a shot of part of the first page of the 8M4 'Psalm of the Sith' cello part, too. Rather blurry, but might provide some insight as to what the first section is. The last three lines appear to be that section from 'Join Me'.

The part before that doesn't seem like anything we've heard, though. Recognize that from anywhere, @Falstaft?

Yikes, that's tricky. I don't suppose you or anyone else could take a super-high res screengrab of that specific frame around 4 seconds in? Perhaps in 4K or UltraHD or whatever? 

27 minutes ago, Falstaft said:

Yikes, that's tricky. I don't suppose you or anyone else could take a super-high res screengrab of that specific frame around 4 seconds in? Perhaps in 4K or UltraHD or whatever? 

QLpH1qU.png

nhVXzFj.png

@Falstaft does this help?

Note that you can partially see pages 2 and 3, which might be helpful in identifying this.

Thanks, @crumbs! That’s quite a bit more detailed. I can make out most of the notes now, but I still don’t recognize anything in the first four lines.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Note that you can partially see pages 2 and 3, which might be helpful in identifying this.

Those other pages appear to be from different cues. Nearly the entirely ‘Psalm of the Sith’ violin part was visible, and nothing on either of these pages aligns with that.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

QLpH1qU.png

nhVXzFj.png

@Falstaft does this help?

The images are much better, but I still can't make heads or tails of this. There's a nice, snakey chromatic bass line starting on the fourth system, apparently to be played "dark," but there's not very much to go on in terms of motivic or harmonic clues. It's not part of the Anthem of Evil track, that much is clear.

21 hours ago, Falstaft said:

On the FYC, that same passage cuts to a few measures later (or has an alternatively composed ending?) at 1:08.  Regardless of how it arose, the figure is now Cb5-Bb4-Eb4-Gb4. AKA Kylo Ren's diatonic "redeemed" motif.

Holy cow, nice catch!  Listening closely, it seems that brief statement of the redeemed theme could be edited in?  Hmm

JWFan’s own @Falstaft (“the Star Wars music Yoda”) gets a shoutout in this new video, which despite the title, is more critical of the filmmakers and music editors than Williams:

There’s definitely a fine line between appropriate callbacks and cheap nostalgia. I personally didn’t mind the use of the main theme that he complains about, but I did dislike the tracking of the Vader’s Death cue, because in my opinion, it takes a way a bit of the uniqueness and poignancy of that moment.

6 minutes ago, kelliwisethebrave said:

I started watching the video but stopped when I realized it wasn't going to make me feel better about anything.

There are things I love in the movie, there are things I hate in the movie (and I've been complaining about them myself for the last four months). Still being able to love the things I do enjoy instead of throwing the whole thing away is important to me after being obsessed with the sequel trilogy for over 4 years. A big part of that is of course the soundtrack.

On that note, I'm curious, @BrotherSound what was the main theme he complained about?

The Star Wars Main Title theme I would assume

8 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

The Star Wars Main Title theme I would assume

Oh, so I'm guessing it's the part where all the small ships, etc show up on Exegol. I don't remember any other prominent examples.

I suppose I agree that something else there might have been better.

30 minutes ago, kelliwisethebrave said:

On that note, I'm curious, @BrotherSound what was the main theme he complained about?

I mean the Star Wars main title theme a.k.a. Luke's theme.

11 minutes ago, kelliwisethebrave said:

Oh, so I'm guessing it's the part where all the small ships, etc show up on Exegol. I don't remember any other prominent examples.

I suppose I agree that something else there might have been better.

That's definitely the most prominent use, but it does show up several other times: like when C-3P0 says goodbye before the memory wipe, during the Rey and Luke scene, once for Chewbacca, during 'Battle of the Resistance', etc.

Sooooooo sick of these 'video essays' that try to pick apart every aspect of these films. It's preaching to the choir too - an audience who already doesn't care for the music in the slightest, adding another thing to their dislike checklists. 

Will this guy do a video on the gazillion other scores which are bland, lifeless slogs? He probably praises Dunkirk as a score wity emotion and integrity.

30 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Sooooooo sick of these 'video essays' that try to pick apart every aspect of these films. It's preaching to the choir too - an audience who already doesn't care for the music in the slightest, adding another thing to their dislike checklists. 

Will this guy do a video on the gazillion other scores which are bland, lifeless slogs? He probably praises Dunkirk as a score wity emotion and integrity.

He has videos on why Disney Live Action Remake scores suck, how Phil Collins ruined Tarzan, Why Nostalgic Reboot Scores Suck, What the Score to Transformers could have been,....

Yeah, unless you're anal Williams' fans, like us, who scrutinize, and I don't know... FUCKING CARE ABOUT THE MUSIC, you're going to mistake the shortcomings of the score as Williams' fault, not the editing process post-Williams.

Ah well, the mainstream audiences don't care about thematic integrity or the subtleties this score offers, they can only recall childishly that they love Rey's Theme and that's all Williams was good for this entire trilogy. Fuck them, and fuck this video for misinforming their audience of why these scores suffered as a consequence of EDITING and not compositional prowess.

53 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Edit2: I like how he talks about the wrongful re-contextualization of Luke's theme while showing a clip of the scene where Obi-Wan dies and Williams plays Leia's theme. 

I like the part where he described how, "the theme for the Empire became associated with Darth Vader," like it wasn't his theme all along.

118fffdb088db02710be1bf516e3365d.png

28 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah I mean, it’s really more a fault (or merely a fact) of the films that there’s not as much of a conversation happening with the prequels. 

Even if the films had incorporated prequel elements more directly, there's not much that there would have been to quote. Even if you look at ROTS the only theme from TPM or AOTC that gets major usage is DOTF. Hard to imagine much crossover regardless.

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

As such, Obi-Wan and the Force are almost interchangeable entities both musically and within the film itself, I feel, so that's always been a nonissue to me. 

And as you point out, Williams has been liberal with his application of themes from film one. You could find at least one instance in every film where a theme or cue is used beyond its intended purpose. Sometimes adding a new context to an existing theme provides a deeper richness to what that theme represents.

The only 'Nazgul Theme'-esque moment for me is Luke & Leia underscoring the conversation between Lando and Jannah. However, that entire sequence was truncated and restructured after Williams scored it. Poe's Theme was deleted (which probably underscored his reunion with Finn) and for all we know the ESB Yoda music was intended for Lando (the B theme is tonally similar to Lando's Palace). The editing always felt jarring there, bizarrely placed between Rey's arrival and the reunion.

My theory is Luke & Leia originally underscored a scene between Rey and Luke/Leia's Force ghosts. In the October leaks (which proved accurate), Rey visited the Lars Homestead with everyone watching from the Falcon. Originally she was turning to smile at Finn/Poe/Jannah/etc. at the end, not Force ghosts of Luke and Leia. Make of that what you will...

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

My theory is Luke & Leia originally underscored a scene between Rey and Luke/Leia's Force ghosts. In the October leaks (which proved accurate), Rey visited the Lars Homestead with everyone watching from the Falcon. Originally she was turning to smile at Finn/Poe/Jannah/etc. at the end, not Force ghosts of Luke and Leia. Make of that what you will...

What you're saying is that, if Luke and Leia's ghosts weren't in the homestead scene in the earlier cut, then they might instead have turned up during the victory celebration scene that was underscored by "Reunion?"

6 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

What you're saying is that, if Luke and Leia's ghosts weren't in the homestead scene in the earlier cut, then they might instead have turned up during the victory celebration scene that was underscored by "Reunion?"

Yes. 

And that's pure speculation based on the fact their theme is wedged between Rey's Theme and the Friendship Theme, and Luke/Leia seemingly weren't in the Tatooine sequence as late as October. 

If the sheet music ever leaks for Bows, we'll know for sure (there should be stage directions that indicate what each theme correlates with on screen). 

Seems plausible. If that's ever confirmed to be true, it would be satisfying to know Williams used the theme for that reason. And excruciating to know his intention was changed.

The presence of Yoda's theme still makes the whole thing questionable though. It's hard to imagine there being a similar explanation for that theme. Even if Yoda's ghost showed up, would the film really stop to focus on him for as long as his theme plays?

And what do we think of the cue title "Bows"? It does kind of imply that a lot of characters pop back up to make a final appearance (take a bow) which would be appropriate if Force ghosts were involved in the scene. Is there anything else Williams might have meant by that title?

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

He then laments that no prequel music was reused in the sequel trilogy (not strictly accurate, but I digress). Why would prequel themes reappear in a trilogy set ~60 years later, when those characters are long dead? Doesn't that directly contradict his earlier argument about re-contextualising older themes where they don't belong, just because they sound cool?

Off the top of my head, I can only think of two times in TROS when prequel music made an appearance: the "every voice inside your head" scene with that tiny section of Palpatine's Seduction, and then that brief passage from Battle of the Heroes when Rey is training. (Both have been posted here.) Has anyone found any other appearances? Forgive me if this has been stated before.

I always find "analysis" videos like that one truly unbearable. If the guy had decided to publish an article instead of record his voice, I believe it would've been different. When someone speaks about something they're passionate about, there's always the tendency to get carried away and forget about what you're trying to say in the first place. Writing an article forces the person to think much more about the issue being discussed. That's all I'll say about that video.

That guy has done more interesting videos, I can give him that at least. (I liked his stuff about Avatars disappointing soundtrack)

He's far from the worst youtubers.

6 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Even so, that we have been fortunate enough to receive this kind of score in today's film music landscape is a gift that I think will become even more evident as time goes on.

What a depressing prospect.

2 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

What a depressing prospect.

That's not to say that what he and other older composers incorporated into their music can't be broken down and reassembled into something new and engaging by another composer down the line. Indeed, that's precisely what Williams himself did in creating his Star Wars style. It wasn't Steiner or Korngold, but that kind of music informed by the newer musical currents of jazz and modernism in particular. Besides, Hollywood is now so bent on nostalgia trips that old-fashioned-type scores are bound to remain an option again and again, if refracted through the lens of the whatever the current trends may be.

Just noticed a few of you were talking about this video (I have not watched it, nor will I waste my time, as the person who made the video clearly was no idea what he is talking about nor has any conceivable knowledge). Why not gather together and "dislike" the video while bombarding the person with comments and personal messages pointing out the flaws of the video as well as evidence to the contrary. :P

Anyway, getting back to the real and positive, I imagine that an eventual expanded and definitive release of the score would amount to three CDs of music, right? Given that 226 minutes of music was composed and conducted by the Maestro. Am I right on that assessment, or would it be four discs?

So for the entire Saga, that would be two CDs for Episode I: The Phantom Menace (two hours and 30 minutes of music), two CDs for Episode II: Attack of the Clones (two hours and ten minutes of music), two CDs for Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (two hours and 15 minutes of music), two CDs for Episode IV: A New Hope (an hour and 32 minutes of music), two CDs for Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (two hours and five minutes of music), two or three CDs for Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (two hours and 40 minutes of music), three CDs for Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2 hours and 56 minutes of music), three CDs for Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (three hours and three minutes of music) three or four CDs for Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (three hours and 46 minutes of music).

That's correct, right?

19 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Just noticed a few of you were talking about this video (I have not watched it, nor will I waste my time, as the person who made the video clearly was no idea what he is talking about nor has any conceivable knowledge). Why not gather together and "dislike" the video while bombarding the person with comments and personal messages pointing out the flaws and evidence to the contrary. :P

Anyway, getting back to the real and positive, I imagine that an eventual expanded and definitive release of the score would amount to three CDs of music, right? Given that 226 minutes of music was composed and conducted by the Maestro. Am I right on that assessment, or would it be four discs?

So for the entire Saga, that would be two CDs for Episode I: The Phantom Menace (two hours and 30 minutes of music), two CDs for Episode II: Attack of the Clones (two hours and ten minutes of music), two CDs for Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (two hours and 15 minutes of music), two CDs for Episode IV: A New Hope (an hour and 32 minutes of music), two CDs for Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (two hours and five minutes of music), two or three CDs for Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (two hours and 40 minutes of music), three CDs for Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2 hours and 56 minutes of music), three CDs for Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (three hours and three minutes of music) and three or four CDs for Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (three hours and 46 minutes of music).

That's correct, right?

Pretty much, yes. Give or take depending on the amount of alternate takes they'd include. Some people say TPM would need 3 discs, but honestly as long as they don't go overboard with the alternate takes, they could easily fit the entire score plus several alternates/film versions on 2 discs. ROTJ might need three discs depending on if they located or are able to locate the missing source material.

56 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

What I reacted to is that your comment sounded like a suggestion that miserable future of the industry will make TROS look great by contrast.

Ah, no. Just that we're at the end of the Williams-style SW score and that given that the style can't really be duplicated that it will become more appreciated for that reason. There are no other film music dinosaurs like him!

25 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Ah, no. Just that we're at the end of the Williams-style SW score and that given that the style can't really be duplicated that it will become more appreciated for that reason. There are no other film music dinosaurs like him!

The problem is, every biologist must come to terms with the fact that dinosaurs were not inferior creatures to modern elephants or lions. If not for an external circumstance (a fiery rock from space falling on their head), they would be doing great for much longer, if not "forever", just like crocodiles for example. Similar story with Williams. His music is not obsolete by any means!

I've just watched the newest Clone Wars episode, where operatic ROTS music is quoted in a synthetically veiled form, and interspersed with electronic spy-thriller sound design. It worked great, and reddit is full of appreciation for Williams' music as an amplifier of the experience of watching. I don't know if the score would be as effective, less effective, or more effective, if some electronic moments were substituted by appropriate bassoon / contrabassoon / violas / cornets / Wagner tubas writing, for example.

I hope some musical sharks will come to Hollywood, who will be as armed to the teeth with both electronic and acoustic means, as Williams, Goldsmith, or Herrmann, and will just choose what works best---not what is the most recent trend.

In this sense nostalgia that you mentioned, as a form of loyalty that transcends fashions, could help.