The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

28 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

In fact he seems quite happy to have been involved with them.

Absolutely; he has expressed as such in numerous interviews, and it shows. I don't mind revisiting the scores via the soundtrack albums and the films themselves (in the case of Episode VIII, that and the isolated score track), but I cannot wait for the day when all nine scores are released in the remastered, expanded and complete format the Maestro's work clearly deserves; it absolutely NEEDS to happen.

11 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Nowhere. There's no evidence that John dislikes JJ, Rian, or their films. In fact he seems quite happy to have been involved with them.

During introductions of TFA material in concerts, he's dropped hints. I saw him introduce "Scherzo for X-wings" by saying something along the lines that you work hard on this music and no one gets to hear it under the sound effects. He said it in a polite way of course, but it wasn't very ambiguous.

Of course he's only spoken highly of all the actual people involved, including the directors.

I transcribed exactly what JW said about the Scherzo (and no one else composing for Daisy) in Boston in May 2016 here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26022-john-williams-film-night-boston-may-12-13-2016/&do=findComment&comment=1246143

19 hours ago, crumbs said:

So I believe that makes 3 scoring featurettes altogether for TLJ, two of which we have in high quality (plus the two videos RJ posted on his twitter page, on May 4th and the Main Title recording). Here's the other one, with plenty of footage of the two working together (even hugging! :wub2:):

In addition to the featurette on the Blu-Ray for Episode VII - The Force Awakens (John Williams: The Seventh Symphony) and the featurette on iTunes and Disney Plus for Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (The Maestro's Finale and the section from The Skywalker Legacy documentary), that makes a total of how many featurettes focused on the Maestro's music for Star Wars? I know the Conversation With the Masters documentary on the Blu-Ray for Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back, the Maestro in the Empire of Dreams documentary, The Beginning: The Making of Episode I - The Phantom Menace and the featurette on the DVD, the featurette on the DVD for Episode II - Attack of the Clones, and the featurette on the DVD for Episode III - Revenge of the Sith. Did I leave something out?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just curious are there any tracks from the oficial soundtrack album or FYC promo which have been used in the TROS movie without any alterations?

I mean are there any tracks from OST or FYC promo which I can play with the corresponding movie scene and it will fit?

Or is the movie total mess regarding the usage of music?

13 minutes ago, E-Wan said:

I'm just curious are there any tracks from the oficial soundtrack album or FYC promo which have been used in the TROS movie without any alterations?

I mean are there any tracks from OST or FYC promo which I can play with the corresponding movie scene and it will fit?

FYC tracks usually contain the film edits so it should fit (this is not always 100% right though, taking Falcon Flight as an example).

As for the OST, some tracks are less altered than others: "Approaching the Throne", "Reunion", "A New Home", but most of the time it won't fit perfectly.

There are also tracks you can forget about: "Journey to Exegol", "Fanfare and Prologue" as JW's initial intentions are totally absent in the beginning of the movie.

1 hour ago, E-Wan said:

All the FYC tracks exactly line up with the final film

None of the OST tracks play unedited in the film as they are on the album

Approaching The Throne, Farewell and A New Home all come very close to matching the final film, but even they have modifications (just subtle trims or loops, basically).

I doubt a single cue in the film is presented exactly as recorded/intended, except 1M1 (but even the ending is tracked over by music from TFA). 

6 hours ago, Chewy said:

FYC tracks usually contain the film edits so it should fit (this is not always 100% right though, taking Falcon Flight as an example).

As for the OST, some tracks are less altered than others: "Approaching the Throne", "Reunion", "A New Home", but most of the time it won't fit perfectly.

There are also tracks you can forget about: "Journey to Exegol", "Fanfare and Prologue" as JW's initial intentions are totally absent in the beginning of the movie.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

All the FYC tracks exactly line up with the final film

None of the OST tracks play unedited in the film as they are on the album

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Approaching The Throne, Farewell and A New Home all come very close to matching the final film, but even they have modifications (just subtle trims or loops, basically).

I doubt a single cue in the film is presented exactly as recorded/intended, except 1M1 (but even the ending is tracked over by music from TFA). 

So when I play FYC promo tracks with the corresponding movie scenes they will fit. Great!

Thank you all for information.

1 hour ago, E-Wan said:

So when I play FYC promo tracks with the corresponding movie scenes they will fit. Great!

Thank you all for information.

Well, I think you might need to compensate the speed a tiny bit. I know that was the case for TFA. Audio in movies shot on film tend to be a tiny bit slower/faster.

On 12/19/2019 at 7:20 AM, Edmilson said:

That said, the utter exclusion of Holdo's Theme is pretty weird. For the official OST, I would've changed, for example, Lesson One (a track I never liked) for Holdo's Resolve.

I wouldn't say it was excluded, it is in the end credits. I really like that. I may be alone in this, but The Last Jedi is perfectly arranged on album.

On 7/2/2020 at 4:18 PM, JohnnyD said:

I beg to differ...

I only wish that this featurette was included in home video like there was for Episode VII (Blu-Ray) and IX (iTunes and Disney Plus) (except no 360 degree video format). Then again, I can always watch it via YouTube on Apple TV.

I was always more under the impression that RJ wasn't crazy about Williams. 

Reading about how he handled the scoring process, it was insane. Whenever he talks about Star Wars or film music, he doesn't seem really engaged. I really got the feeling that his whole job was to completely do something new with Star Wars as an outsider, and music was part of that, but they obviously forced him to use JW.

That info about the scoring process I believe was from the soundtracking interview. 

https://audioboom.com/posts/6557819-episode-69-rian-johnson-on-the-music-of-star-wars-other-movies

Yeah, but you'd think a director would be thrilled to sit down and do a scoring sessions with Williams. How many get to do that at all anymore? Came off as disinterested. Nothing personal, just no interest.

I don't think RJ has anything against Williams personally. No one does. It's just to do with personal taste and sensibilities.

Like say - do you think RJ would ever ask Williams to score any of his films? No. On Star Wars, Williams came pre-attached with the film so there was nothing RJ could do about it.

He was respectful of the process and worked with it pretty well.

But is he going to have another film with a massive symphonic wall to wall orchestral score? No.

5 hours ago, Remco said:

Wait, what? Asking JW to score your film does not necessarily mean wall to wall scoring.

RJ’s favorite Williams score is The Long Goodbye! I’m sure both men know enough of cinema and its history to make another exciting collaborarion together. I hope it happens.

I didn't say that.

Star Wars is wall to wall scoring for the most part.

Didn't Rian himself say that when he started watching the film with John, he made that joke about Main Title being temp and needing something new (much to Williams' befuddlement), but the music was so loud that he couldn't clarify the joke.

That couldn't have happened unless they spotted the film together. The notion that he just handed the film off to JW without watching it with him is completely ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Alan said:

I think it's a case of actions speaking louder than words. RJ seems fairly quiet and reserved generally but look at how the music was treated. Abrams gushes to an almost embarrassing degree about Williams but then takes a hacksaw to the music. Not difficult to see who has the most genuine respect for the composer.

Thank you! Succinctly put.

TROS doesn't have a single musical moment which reaches the heights of a handful of such moments during TLJ, where Rian conceptualized entire sequences for the music to do the storytelling (per Star Wars tradition).

JJ has NFI, as evidenced by this embarrassment of a trilogy closer.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

TROS doesn't have a single musical moment which reaches the heights of a handful of such moments during TLJ, where Rian conceptualized entire sequences for the music to do the storytelling (per Star Wars tradition).

Yes it does

There are sublime moments in every John Williams score and Rise is no exception. Although, I agree that Jedi has many, many more of them. The cue The Last Jedi is easily the best cue of the entire sequel trilogy, if it isn't Holdo's Resolve.

4 minutes ago, blondheim said:

There are sublime moments in every John Williams score and Rise is no exception. Although, I agree that Jedi has many, many more of them. The cue The Last Jedi is easily the best cue of the entire sequel trilogy, if it isn't Holdo's Resolve.

I prefer those TRoS moments to anything from TLJ.  

27 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I got chills when I first heard "We Go Together" in the theaters. 

Some other great in-movie moments include the non-edited parts of Approaching the Throne, the desert shot of the Knights of Ren, "Parents," "Rey and Ben Team Up," and all other statements of the "We Go Together" theme

And what about "Reunion"? Oh, my heart... I was crying more than Finn. That would have been enough but then BOOM, here you have "A new Home" and a new Binary Sunset, so you have to cry MORE.

Those were almost silent scenes. Just a bit of dialogue but not very much, incredibly well done.

4 minutes ago, Yannick said:

Indeed. I don't know how that wasn't released. But I have to say I prefer the part while she's going through the course. So epic, one of the best versions of Rey's theme IMO, alongside this one:

Yes!  I love when Williams plays that theme with the descending bass line, ending on the VI chord (like the flute statement at the end of The Scavenger or Lesson Two)