The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Interesting how similar this gorgeous (unreleased) penultimate cue from Angela's Ashes is to the start of Healing Wounds, which underscores the aftermath of Leia's Death. Certainly JW channeling the same elegiac style of writing.

Fantastic connection, @crumbs!

I hear some additional similarity in the string writing and harmonic sensibility to a closely related (and hugely underrated) track, "Watching the Eclipse," from Angela's Ashes, both w/ the beginning of "Healing Wounds" and its successor cue "Advice."

7 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Fantastic connection, @crumbs!

I hear some additional similarity in the string writing and harmonic sensibility to a closely related (and hugely underrated) track, "Watching the Eclipse," from Angela's Ashes, both w/ the beginning of "Healing Wounds" and its successor cue "Advice."

Interesting, listening to this track with fresh ears I'm thinking the first 0:42 is actually an alternate of the cue I posted on the previous page! Same elegiac style but more optimistic, same long fade-out, roughly the same duration. The crossfade at 0:42 sounds artificial too.

The actual Eclipse music (as used in the film) is 0:42-1:28, and I don't recall the first 0:42 anywhere in the film (so it was either dialed out or is a separate short cue).

The cue I posted on the previous page follows the Eclipse cue in the film, so this might just be some of JW's 'creative' OST assembling when it comes to short cues.

Anyway, just an interesting connection! :)

EDIT: GEMA seemingly confirms this track is comprised of 3 cues:

image.png

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

There's a Last Jedi recording on the TROS FYC? Are you sure? 

20 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

I forget... do we know the meaning of the titles "Six Twelve" and "Seven Twelve"?

I wouldn’t think it refers to anything more than the slates: 6M12 and 7M12.

3 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Yep, 100%: it phases and everything!

Plus, there’s actually sheet music visible in the documentary that shows 7M21 Parents (as written) continues past this artificially created ending.

cc: @crumbs

Any chance of a mock-up demonstrating what the music would sound like as written?

Yeah I would love to hear the alternate 9M5. Nobody has any idea what it sounded like.

Supposedly lots of different versions of the very final cue were tried too, before they just reused the TFA version.

I think if one day we get a really complete expansion we might just a get two others scores for TFA and TROS according to the amount of alternate cues that seems to have been written. It would be nutts! :w00t:

9 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Any chance of a mock-up demonstrating what the music would sound like as written?

I wish it were possible, but it's only a trumpet part, and while there's enough detail to determine the cue continues for a bit longer, there's not enough to make out the exact notes:

image.png

The trumpet enters with the redeemed Kylo/Ben motif three lines from the bottom of the first page, as heard at 1:19 in the track. If this part matched the track, it should end at the bottom of the first page, but it continues for another 3 lines on the next page.

15 hours ago, crumbs said:

Would still love to know what the first minute of Journey to Exogol is. My best guess is something involving Kylo Ren in the earlier versions of reel one.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's likely 1M7, though of course there could have also been a revision of it. The November 11th cut seems to have opened with Kylo's arrival at Exegol, dispensing with both the Mustafar and hyperspace trip scenes entirely, so it offers no clues. The numbering of 6M13 Rey's Trip to P—wherein she makes her own Journey to Exegol—suggests there was very likely an earlier version, since the scene should have originally been part of reel 7, so that's a possibility as well.

Also really puzzled by why a cue titled 'Ready To Be A Jedi' would have such prominent use of Kylo's theme. 🤨

8 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Yeah, I'm thinking it's likely 1M7, though of course there could have also been a revision of it. The numbering of 6M13 Rey's Trip to P—wherein she makes her own Journey to Exegol—suggests there was very likely an earlier version, since it should have originally fallen in reel 7, so that's a possibility as well.

It's possible all the ships hadn't risen into the Exogolian atmosphere (to sit around for weeks doing nothing until the Resistance turns up) in the original Rey Arrival at Exogol sequence (when it was in reel 7). :conf:

The entire sequence is essentially CGI anyway, easy enough change for some overworked, exhausted ILM employee receiving their 284th change request from JJ.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

(to sit around for weeks doing nothing until the Resistance turns up)

didn't the movie take place over 12 hours or something?

I think all (episode) Star Wars movies take place over a very short window of time don't they?

Did it? The passage of time is never made clear. It's just a sequence of... scenes. 

TLJ does a much better job conveying time. 

With TROS, chalk it down to yet another disorienting, poorly explained element of a disorienting, poorly made movie. 

I think it did. Maybe 3 if I'm following the Luke plot correctly. 

Though what is a 'day' when each planet has its own unique solar rotation? :P

TPM is probably a week or so. AotC and RotS have unfdefined breaks and possible skips, they could be weeks or a month+. SW is a couple days, depending on how long hyperspace travel takes. ESB is a week or two on H&L's storyline, feels like it should be at least a month where Luke's concerned. Again times are indefinite. RotJ is a week or more, again indefinite skips. TFA is a day (no real time skips, they say all the arriving on starkiller, travelling, finding Rey, blowing it up takes place in 20 minutes in-universe), TLJ is 2 days or so (one's Escape, then after the hyperspace jump they say they have 18 hours of fuel left, no real skip for Crait), TROS explicitly says the fleet starts in 16 hours or something so all those planets and fucking around is under a day.

Surely all the crap with Kylo Ren going to Mustafar, finding Palpatine, etc. falls outside that? 

It feels like weeks past between that scene and the whole 'spy' subplot in the immediate next scene (I can't even remember what the spy gives them). 

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

TROS explicitly says the fleet starts in 16 hours or something so all those planets and fucking around is under a day.

And there’s exactly one more reference to this half-baked countdown in the whole film: Poe says they’ve only got “eight hours left” before they’ve even left Pasaana.

🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, Holko said:

TPM is probably a week or so. AotC and RotS have unfdefined breaks and possible skips, they could be weeks or a month+. SW is a couple days, depending on how long hyperspace travel takes. ESB is a week or two on H&L's storyline, feels like it should be at least a month where Luke's concerned. Again times are indefinite. RotJ is a week or more, again indefinite skips. TFA is a day (no real time skips, they say all the arriving on starkiller, travelling, finding Rey, blowing it up takes place in 20 minutes in-universe), TLJ is 2 days or so (one's Escape, then after the hyperspace jump they say they have 18 hours of fuel left, no real skip for Crait), TROS explicitly says the fleet starts in 16 hours or something so all those planets and fucking around is under a day.

This is kind of why I like the prequels better. It feels like the original and the sequel trilogies weren't thought out very well (the sequels more, obviously), but the prequels had a lot of thought and world-building in them.