The Rise of Skywalker - COMPLETE SCORE Discussion - SPOILERS ALLOWED!

Jay

On 4/9/2020 at 9:32 PM, JohnnyD said:

This is the entirety of Rey Arrives On Exegol. Enjoy.

39_Rey_Arrives_On_Exegol.m4a 3.96 MB · 34 downloads

12 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Jay, I should correct you on one thing. There is no alternate take of Rey Arrives On Exegol. The section tracked into Kylo Ren's flight to Exegol is NOT an alternate take, but the final part of the same cue. I put the complete cue a few posts above this one; you should take a listen. It is quite illuminating.

This is just speculation right?  It's possible it was written as you've edited but it's possible that each part of the film draws from different takes as well right?

I think JohnnyD is correct: the scene where Rey arrives on Exegol uses everything up to the Rey Theme, then cuts out for the Emperor's Theme from ROTS. The sequence was probably longer when the film was scored. I don't think either scene uses a different take either.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

[new cue] 1M15 Vader's Castle tracked in for the shots of the Fleet rising

So in the Nov 11 cut, 1m15 was newly written for a particular scene, but instead was tracked into another scene? It was never used in the intended place in any cut?

Just now, Smeltington said:

So in the Nov 11 cut, 1m15 was newly written for a particular scene, but instead was tracked into another scene? It was never used in the intended place in any cut?

From what I can gather based on following the plot leaks for a while before the film came out, Mustafar kind of weaved in and out for a bit, so it's more than likely that there was a cut where it was used properly.

I'm only assuming its tracked based on the title; The powerful Imperial March statemet works well with the shots of the fleet rising.  But the Nov 11 data tells us that's the name, so we must assume it's a cue originally written for a section of Mustafar.  It's not clear in the final cut, but the dudes Kylo is fighting in the first scene are supposed to be people loyal to Vader who are living in his old place (the place we saw in Rogue One).  That whole battle is supposed to be taking place outside his place, which is presumably why Williams wrote a cue called 1M15 Vader's Castle as some kind of insert or rewrite of some kind.   And then JJ dropped any shots that showed they were near his place, but liked the Imperial March statement so used it for the shot of the fleet rising.

And we know absolutely nothing about any cuts of the film other than the final cut and the Nov 11 data, its all speculation based on cue titles and numbers, reddit leaks, novelization, pictures from the visual dictionary, etc etc

well the Prequel were mixed horribly

The  only remaining great mix is The Empire Strikes Back .Saw a theatrical performance on the Disney Cruise. It was like listening to the OST on good speakers with the movie playing in the background. Still very superior to The Last Jedi considered the best of the sequel mixes. Why couln't they do this with all films

ANH has a Ben Burrt butchered mix now and RotJ doesn't sound as great probably due to the recordings (also saw both in the Disney Theater)

5 minutes ago, King Mark said:

well the Prequel were mixed horribly

If the Prequels were mixed horribly, what do you think that says about the Sequels, given the comparison?

I haven't seen the prequels in a long time maybe your right, but I remember you can't hear a lot of cues in TPM and AotC unless you have rear channel rips or something

To me it's clear now why ESB cemented me as a John williams fan. If it had been mixed like the sequels I might not have noticed the score back then and not become a JW fan

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Listening more I think I can be down with that.  Nice work, JohnnyD!

You're welcome. I love delving into the Maestro's work. You get a few surprises you would not have gotten the first listen, like how there is a rendition of Rey's Theme played by muted horns accompanied by the frantic and energized strings. 

5 hours ago, Romão said:

I really feel sorry for Williams. For all the praise he gets from JJ in the behind the scenes footage, the director really has absolute disregard for musical flow and allowing the music to soar in key scenes. I hope he never works with him ever again

It's tricky for me to decide whether J.J. or Rian treated JW better. On the one hand, TLJ had some really great moments for the music to shine like this one:

And the microediting in TLJ seemed better than in TFA or TROS. 

But on the other hand, TLJ also felt like Rian relied too much on giving JW a temp track rather than letting him make his own choices (likely a heavily-ROTS temp track). I believe the documentaries provided some partial confirmation of what I'd suspected anyway: For TFA (and presumably TROS) JW wasn't given a temp track (or was told he didn't have to follow it) at the spotting session, whereas for TLJ Rian relied more on the temp track than a proper spotting session. Can't remember the specific sources for that though (and some of it is based on inferences). 

16 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Well Rian did show more respect for the music, but in terms of the compositions, IMO Williams sounds more inspired on both TFA and TROS compared to TLJ. However, I do think the music heard in TLJ works really, really well in the film itself, so maybe these films just called for slightly different treatments.

I agree, the new material in TFA and TROS is far superior than in TLJ, but the latter has a much better use of the music. I think that Johnson is a better director than JJ by 12 parsecs. The way they work with their composer is also very different and although I think JJ did better there, after so many micro edits and changes the result is a very choppy score in a movie full of noise. The sound mixing in TLJ is great, and at the end I guess that Johnson knew precisely what did he wanted as the score and asked Williams that. A little more of freedom would had made for a even better score but is good enough as it is.

Forgive me if this is old, or incorrect, but I noticed that the first time you start one of the Blu-ray discs of the film (either the movie or special features discs), there's a little more to the beginning of the menu music. I don't know if it's more of the 1m20 Rey Training cue or an intro that's been tacked on to it, but I figured I'd mention it. I popped the special features disc into my computer and ripped the track so you can hear what I'm talking about.

Special_Features_Blu-ray_first_boot_menu.flac

10 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Agree that Rian is a much better filmmaker. But I will say for JJ that his movies are very entertaining (if somewhat hollow), and very over the top, which probably helped them elicit bombastic, engaging material from Williams.

Yeah TFA will always be my favorite film, and favorite score, from this trilogy. Such a fun movie. 

19 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Agree that Rian is a much better filmmaker. But I will say for JJ that his movies are very entertaining (if somewhat hollow), and very over the top, which probably helped them elicit bombastic, engaging material from Williams.

I daresay JW also went a bit above and beyond with his music for TROS, writing new themes even when they weren't "necessary". We didn't need a trio theme, "evil" theme, victory theme, etc but we got them anyway, and they were really good. So he may have been channeling some this-is-my-last-Star-War feels, doing more than was called for, as he so often does.

Yes, I agree with that too! I usually like, or even love, JJ films. I saw two days ago again TFA and I think is a very good film. He also he has the ability to get the best of Giacchino and Williams, I think that with Trevorrow the score of Episode IX would have been less interesting from a thematic point of view. Precisely what I love so much of TROS score is how Williams composed so many interesting (and unnecessary) themes. 

It’s not like Williams is unknown for writing great scores for subpar films. At least half of his catalogue can be described as such.

But it is nagging me that the best sequel film had the weakest score. Gosh darn it.

4 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

But it is nagging me that the best sequel film had the weakest score.

What do you consider the best sequel film?  For me, my favorite sequel film also has the best score. 

TLJ is my favorite ST film and at first I was really disappointed in the score but I've grown to love it.  

I really don't find anything that interesting about the TROS score. 

The TFA score is good, but I don't love it like I do the score to TLJ. 

I think how much I like a film really influences how much I like the score. 

Looking at each trilogy separately, I rank each score in the same order I rank the movies, with only one exception. 

Come to think of it, I think that's true of the Indiana Jones series as well. 

45 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

The underscore across the entire ST is lacking compared to the underscore across the OT and PT.

I think Williams just made a conscious decision to prioritize his time on action cues (which presumably take longer to write at his age) and streamline the underscore. It wouldn't have helped that he was constantly rewriting TFA (and TROS) and the edit was constantly changing, which undoubtedly contributed to this mindset.

The lush, detailed orchestrations of TPM's underscore would've been a waste of time on TFA/TROS, considering how his scores were treated. And really, he'd already made this shift by the time AOTC/ROTS rolled around, with underscore not significantly more interesting than the ST (though perhaps this was a reflection of his busier schedule when writing the latter 2 prequels than the lighter schedule around 1999 for TPM).

Still, the ST is a step up from the likes of KOCS, which has some of the most uninteresting underscore I've heard from Williams.

I will say about TLJ, even if it is the least of the trilogy in terms of new themes, I’d argue in every other way it is the best score of the three. The cleaner editing certainly helps, but in general it is a more fully realized and coherent work. Nearly all the best cues from the trilogy come from that film, in my opinion, because they are ones that are so closely linked with the film’s sequences. The Supremacy, Holdo’s Resolve, The Battle of Crait, The Spark, etc. As a film score, rather than a soundtrack in isolation, it excels.

My parents caught up with TLJ and TRoS last week and I sat in for a few moments; I rarely listen to TLJ as much as the other two scores, but there was an undeniable power that the score had in the film, a presence that could be felt. The same couldn't be said for TRoS. 

11 minutes ago, crumbs said:

J didn't construct his sequences around music; he conformed the music to his vision (with a hacksaw when necessary). That is not how Star Wars music is meant to function in these films and is a disservice to Williams' music

looks at Sail Barge Assault, TPM last third, AotC, RotS

...yeah, Rian may be the odd one out after all. (JJ is still the worst offender by far)