The Rise of Skywalker OST Album Discussion

Jay

Crikey this is a BIG score with a lot of new stuff going on. LOVE the new The Rise of Skywalker theme (themes? seems like there are 2 in there). I'm kind of getting a bit of a "father and son" theme from Last Crusade vibe from the dominant theme. Seems like a theme for a relationship or an idea more than an individual.

Also, The Destiny of a Jedi has an amazing callback to one my favorite cues from Empire, the one where Yoda lifts the X-Wing out of the swamp. That cue *might* be my favorite bit of music in Star Wars, and having it here in what sounds like a "Force ghosts talk to Rey" moment is bringing a tear to my eye. 

Can't wait to see how this all fits into the film on Thursday! 

I must say that the quality of the orchestral performance by the Recording Artists of LA has improved very much. In the TFA their interpretation of Star Wars orchestration was alittle bit dry and lacking the lavishness of the LSO. But for this they have nailed it. Maybe it's the power of John's conducting or maybe the mixing, but the instrumental quality has really improved

10 minutes ago, JAMOcl said:

I must say that the quality of the orchestral performance by the Recording Artists of LA has improved very much. In the TFA their interpretation of Star Wars orchestration was alittle bit dry and lacking the lavishness of the LSO. But for this they have nailed it. Maybe it's the power of John's conducting or maybe the mixing, but the instrumental quality has really improved

Only the mixing has improved.

The work of these musicians is absolutely world-class, and no one would have ever missed the LSO if the LA players had been recorded in Abbey Road.

8 minutes ago, Remco said:

Only the mixing has improved.

The work of these musicians is absolutely world-class, and no one would have ever missed the LSO if the LA players had been recorded in Abbey Road.

Totally agree. The mixing on this score is much better than the previous sequels. The orchestra sounds great, and it’s really showing the orchestration in a much better light. TFA was pretty bad on that aspect. TLJ was somewhat better.

30 minutes ago, Tom said:

The Finale is a perfect musical conclusion for the average (i.e., non-obsessed JW fanatics--i.e., us) fan.  I can see why he went in that direction.  I'll be interested to see how he goes about the concert suite.  Will it just be Rise of Skywalker (the least interesting option, so probably yes)?  Might he include an end credit type piece different from this?  The reunion intro is so cool, but the piece would need a little work to be a concert option. 

I would love to see him do the speeder chase with that concert ending. Apart from the title track, he could do anthem of evil with just instrumentation but I doubt he would. End credits seems like an obvious yes, especially since it has such a direct opening. 

14 hours ago, rolltide1017 said:

I don't think Shazam labeled it "The Album Finale" as much as they labeled it "The Rise of Skywalker Album - Finale", to help differentiate it from other "finale" tracks, on countless other albums, in their database.  I don't think it is because they know it is different in the film.

Ok good then. But I'am now thinking the intentional way the whole Finale is crafted or 'edited' is probably how Williams is seeing this now as a closure of this entire 9 film saga in the same way Wagners's Ring cycle did. The intrusion of the Main Title Fanfare in between sort of implies musically how he is now closing the saga with the very same iconic bars that started it and now ending it. Thoughts?

21 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

It’s in Maz’s counsel. I think it’s officially part of Rey’s theme. It’s in the concert suite

Thanks! I found it in both. I can hear it as part of her theme now

32 minutes ago, dylanskie said:

Is there a name for the small theme between 1:43 and 1:57 in Destiny of a Jedi? It's also at 0:11 in The Journey Home (TFA). It appears in the OST in another place but I forget where!

yes, it's a small section of Rey's theme. He used it twice in TFA

1.22 in Rey's Theme concert version TFA OST

On 12/17/2019 at 10:05 AM, Jay said:

The beginning of the track reminded me of the Emperor's Theme *shrug*

True, with good reason. The Anthem theme is a straightforward development of the Emperor's theme. It's easiest to hear at the beginning because of the similar orchestration.
If you're into notation you can see the intervallic structure is sequenced upwards. Appropriate for Evil itself, greater than one bad person.
Nontechical English: There's a distinctive bit of the Emperor's theme that Williams is extending to make the Evil theme. It eventually becomes a fanfare for evil.

There's a certain sound that JW achieves in this score that I also hear in TFA and ROTS that reminds me of Bill Conti's Masters of the Universe score. For example, you can hear it in Enter Lord Vader, Follow Me and immediately off the bat on this album in Journey to Exegol. It's a very badass testosterone-fueled masculinity. A bit Goldsmithian even. Williams is channeling something very raw here with just badass brass melodies and pounding percussion and it's so cool.

MOTU has historically been considered a SW ripoff or at least a score imitating that style of music, but later JW SW scores are actually closer to that feel than the original scores. The Speeder Chase could underscore He-Man fighting Skeletor's troops for the cosmic key.

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Is Bill Ross' name on the IMDB page of the movie?

Also, the end credits have a part on which appears the people who worked on the music department of a movie: orchestrators, contractors, soloists, where it was recorded and, on most case, the conductors. If someone stays until the end of the credits, they can see if they spot something like "Conducted by John Williams and William Ross" on the credits.

it said conducted by John Williams, only

FYI The 24Bit, 192khz FLAC release of the OST is now available too, for you audiophiles out there. 

44 minutes ago, Jost1 said:

This is great. He deserves to send it off. 

I know this is a, daft question but could someone give me timestamps of the five new themes. If indeed there are actually five? I like the tiny Horn statement in the Prologue (at 0:33) which reminds me of a small motif which occurs throughout the score for The Empire Strikes Back. You know the one I mean? I can't remember what its called. 

Another great Horn moment on "The Journey to Exegol" at 0:09 which I wish was a theme but it probably isn't because I can't hear it anywhere else. I guess it's just a development of the "Anthem of Evil" material? 

Horns yet again at 2:28 in the concert suite "The Rise of Skywalker" offer a lovely little idea that I know must be part of the actual underscore because it appears on the FYC sampler. 

I went to see a triple bill last night at Cineworld Renfrew Street in Glasgow, Scotland with my good friend Martin (who is the only physical contact I've found from the forums and we are firm friends now). I stayed only for Episodes VII and VIII because it'll be my last opportunity to see them on the big screen. I didnt fancy sitting in the same chair until 2:30 am so I have yet to see Episode IX. What is great is the experience of watching these movies on the big screen with the dazzling sound projected from multiple speakers (a little too loud) and I'm guessing this wrap around sound thing started back in the day with "Sensurround". 

In addition I'm guessing the Trumpet idea in "The Speeder Chase" is just a one off right? Would be great if it appears somewhere else. Finally can we expect a repeat of the situation with the score for The Last Jedi when the complete score was released online? 

Star Wars: Episode IX- The Rise Of Skywalker (OST)

I guess JW wasn't helped by the film in this regard, but its very clear that he has absolute nothing new to say about Star Wars.

As a result we are treated, or assaulted, with a score that is nothing but loud loud bombast.

Its the kinda thing fans here love. Its also what gives film music in general a bad reputation when it comes to an artform.

Williams remains the most technically gifted composer working in Hollywood. But that just means his bad scores are compositionally more interesting than most. 

In the film, it does just fine. On its own, this is a bad score. Worse probably than Revenge Of The Sith, which at least had an more interesting choral presence and some bonkers percussive stuff.

This is just Star Wars Bombast© incredibly loud, incredibly familiar, incredibly empty.

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

why doesn't it say that on the c.d.?

I dunno man.  Tbh I don't mind who conducts all that much, David Arnold is one of my favourite composers, Jurassic Park is one of my favourite scores and Williams didn't conduct that 

11 minutes ago, Jost1 said:

Jurassic Park is one of my favourite scores and Williams didn't conduct that 

what are you talking about. He conducted most of it

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

what are you talking about. He conducted most of it

I was under the impression Artie Kane conducted a lot of it.  Anyway point stands: it doesn't matter much who conducts a film score, to me at least. So much truly great film music was not conducted by the composer. It's great that Williams mostly has done it himself, but I don't think less of a score or album when he doesn't.

Its fine. Its John Williams scoring Star Wars....again.

I'm not hearing anything I've not already heard him do before though. Just....louder. This score is incredibly loud, but in performance and how it's mixed and mastered. A far cry from the detailed recording of TFA.

The new themes are fine. But i'm not hearing anything thats a revelation to me. Like Rey's Theme in 2015, or March Of The Resistance, or The Rebellion Is Reborn or The Spark.

Again, this is based solely on the OST. 

Again, this has probably a lot to do with the film, and the person who directed it. There is nothing in TROS that challenges expectations. So Williams probably wasnt required to do so.

Just now, Sandor said:

I think the score is such a beautiful ending to his Star Wars cycle, with lots of heartfelt passages. The new themes presented in The Rise Of Skywalker are very fitting and work incredibly well alongside the many themes we are familiar with. I'm very satisfied with Williams' final Star Wars score: it is exactly what I hoped it would be. 

At best it's a fitting end to the Sequel trilogy, certainly not to the nine film saga. I actually don't think you can expect that.

Return Of The Jedi is an outstanding finale to the original trilogy. Williams really scored the hell out of it.

He tried again in 2005 with Revenge Of The Sith and was successful, for about 50% of it. ROTS is a score that needs a better release than I've heard so far. But for a score to a film that's often very bad, I really can;t fault Williams effort. The Opera scene, the second half of Anakin's Dark Deeds, all superb.

4 hours ago, Jost1 said:

Interesting! I was going to say that this is because Ross was busy in London with the music for Galaxy's Edge, but GE was recorded last year, if I'm not mistaken, while TROS was recorded throughout this year. So yeah, maybe this time Williams was in better conditions than on 2015 and 2016/17 to conduct a 2+ score by himself.

40 minutes ago, Jost1 said:

I was under the impression Artie Kane conducted a lot of it. 

Until this day, it's not clear what cues Artie conducted and what JW conducted by himself. However, since all album covers state "Music Composed and Conducted by John Williams", I guess it's reasonable to imagine he conducted most of the score.

If I'm not mistaken, the only JW scores where wasn't the conductor, or the sole conductor, were JP, Chamber of Secrets and the first two movies of the Sequel Trilogy.

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Again, this has probably a lot to do with the film, and the person who directed it. There is nothing in TROS that challenges expectations. So Williams probably wasnt required to do so.

At best it's a fitting end to the Sequel trilogy, certainly not to the nine film saga. I actually don't think you can expect that.

Return Of The Jedi is an outstanding finale to the original trilogy. Williams really scored the hell out of it.

He tried again in 2005 with Revenge Of The Sith and was successful, for about 50% of it. ROTS is a score that needs a better release than I've heard so far. But for a score to a film that's often very bad, I really can;t fault Williams effort. The Opera scene, the second half of Anakin's Dark Deeds, all superb.

You’re right.

I don’t think it’s just JJ and the film though. A portion of it is John, you can tell because the music exudes it, he’s just having light airy fun with this stuff at this point. Revenge of the Sith was his last Star Wars. He knew that in his head and he scored it as if it was the end. There was a solemn quality there that you can best hear in each album’s finale tracks. It’s completely missing here. 

So with this one he’s getting one more last time, and he’s basically saying, “I already did this....” and just having fun with it. In the way that only an old man who knows this is all just a bit of fun and we all eventually die would. 

The way he leaves the audience is the same way he left the audience when he thought he would be leaving them last time. It’s the same phrase of music, but if feels like it’s delivered with a wink and a smile this time.

This is the encore of an ending. You were never gonna get anything fresh or new. 

3 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

This is the encore of an ending. You were never gonna get anything fresh or new. 

I think you've worded it better than I ever good.

There's nothing actually wrong with it, compositionally. And if you've a fan who's happy to take what is broadly more of the same I see why you could even love it. 

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Though Stefan is wrong about it being comparably louder or anything (mind you, I haven't seen the movie), on album it's actually more serene than its two predecessors.

In a lot of ways. I can’t tell if it’s the mix or the writing. Nothing quite hits like it does in previous albums (all 8 of em). The action doesn’t have sonic impact.

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

Though Stefan is wrong about it being comparably louder or anything (mind you, I haven't seen the movie), on album it's actually more serene than its two predecessors.

TFA was certainly not louder. Also, better sounding. More definition and clarity. This felt like being hit over the head with sound.

4 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

In a lot of ways. I can’t tell if it’s the mix or the writing. Nothing quite hits like it does in previous albums (all 8 of em). The action doesn’t have sonic impact.

It doesnt because both the writing and mixing seem turned up to 11 all the time. There's not a lot of eb and flow sonically.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

TFA was certainly not louder. Also, better sounding. More definition and clarity. This felt like being hit over the head with sound.

To me all three sound alike, something I can immediately tell by the punchy, close-miked drums. But that's not what I'm talking about, the whole DNA of RoS is more reflective, it's generally less agressive and refrains from action most of the time. A flowing piece like that Amazing-Stories-like tune in its namesake concert piece was unthinkable in either TFA or TLJ.

I'm not an overt fan so I haven't studied either score extensively but I would classify RoS the most reflective, whereas TFA will always be the one with a big long middle portion of musical nothings and a good first half and end credits piece.

It's a bit of a shame that the OST of The Last Jedi didn't use the newly recorded opening fanfare and copied the version from The Force Awakens just like the film instead. That way we could now have three different versions of the classic fanfare. Maybe Mike Matessino will have the same idea, when he will be working on complete score releases.