The Rise of Skywalker OST Album Discussion

Jay

I would guess 2 CDs per film, so 18.

Maybe 3 CDs for TFA and TLJ, bringing it up to 20

Or 19 if its a box set of 2CD sets for each score with a disc of bonus tracks

I listened a second time to the album that I still find "better" than TLJ — I also have an issue with the movie, and I haven't seen ROTS and won't see before a while so… But adding the right FYC tracks and… this is a really superb and powerful thematic tour de force from Williams. Themes come and go, they push the narrative, evolve, as the whole score is getting darker and darker with every track. A little piece of music like "Advice" really helps to set the right mood for the powerful "They Will Come".

I feel that this is pretty much like The Phantom Menace: the original album was a bit of mess, and I always felt the 2CD version was the right way to experience the musical journey.

But again, just my own taste.

22 hours ago, Jay said:

It just clicked with me what the first 10 seconds of Reunion remind me of - reminds me of John Barry's Dances With Wolves!

Anybody else get Barry vibes from this section?

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anybody else get Barry vibes from this section?

Yeah, something about the voicing of those major chords, I can hear what you mean about Dances with Wolves. Sounds like it could work for a nice ride on a horse across some fields.

First off, thanks @Jay for the awesome edit-free playlist. As many are saying, hearing the score with more fleshed out is really amazing. While I have listened a few times and specifically played a number of tracks, I am not sure where I sit on the score. I like it a lot - but I think until I see the film later today, I cannot fully decide how much I love it. And even saying that, I am not sure why - maybe I just want more time? I happen to love TPM score, but only am so-so on the movie. So, it's not really about that I guess. Anyway, I think it's all too new so far. And in fact with the disaster box set arriving this week, I am jumping between Williams scores a ton.

One thing I did on my playlist and I offer it up to others to try or comment: I programed the concert suite Rise of Skywalker ahead of the main title. Sort of like an overture, although one that only introduces one theme as compared to more standard ones. I guess sort of like how Jerry Goldsmith opened Star Trek The Motion Picture with Ilia's theme played against a black screen. I like the way RoS ends and then a brief pause and bang, the main title. Anyway, give it a try.

I also wonder if how Williams will program this suite in relation to others and I am going to play with that a bit - if we had to take 3 suites from the 9 films, and RoS had to be one, which other two would form a nice three piece experience? I sort of suspect RoS would be the middle one. Anyway, I guess I should start a thread on this idea. (So I did: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31055-star-wars-suites-in-concert-how-would-you-program-them/ )

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

@Blumenkohl @publicist you coming to Vienna? We 3 need to get drunk together!

I'm not! :( 

6 hours ago, publicist said:

You are such a non-entity to me, i wouldn't even consider blocking your content.

You should try it. The experience here is much better. 

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Its my opinion Ricard. To which I believe i'm fully entitled.

That's why I said "OK."

What do you think of the OST?

As most Williams OSTs, it's a great source of material for chronological/expanded edits, which provide a much more accurate presentation of the score, and which I'm currently listening to and enjoying greatly.

3 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Does anyone else think the French horn theme from the opening of "Journey to Exegol" (0:08) is criminally underutilized/underdeveloped? It shows up basically that one time, and while the orchestral texture continues for another 30 seconds or so, it would have been great for the theme itself to get more of a workout, maybe with a bit of a B section. But man, what I wouldn't give for a concert arrangement of that theme... Easily one of the highlights, for me at least.

I totally agree with you. In my opinion, this motif is probably the best I’ve heard in the ST. It’s so adventurous and vibrant, slightly reminiscent of Harry Potter. An extended concert arrangement including this motif and its variations would’ve also been a perfect addition alongside “The Rise of Skywalker”. 

Listening to the album's opening and how it doesn't line up at all with the film, I wonder if the opening Williams scored was actually much longer but was cut down for some reason.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Instead I've been listening to a 28 track playlist, that takes the 19 OST tracks and adds in 9 FYC tracks for a very nice, and very well-rounded 95 minute listening experience.  You can see the playlist here if you want to try listening to this score that way yourself.

This is how I've been listening to it as well.  I won't see the film until tomorrow morning, so I'm avoiding the spoiler thread like the plague. So, without getting into spoilers, is this 28 track no-edit playlist the final OST/FYC order if one wanted the most complete score possible in chronological order, but also didn't want to have to splice/edit tracks together? 

And has there been any rumor at all of a FYC CD to hopefully get those tracks in lossless quality? 

I'm starting the final stretch of a mostly complete listen of my OST/FYC mashup and I've never had so much fun listening to a SW album. It seems like the polar opposite of a score like AotC which sends me to sleep half the time. No doubt because the film is likely much better.

One question - the opening of the FYC Prologue isn't on the OST, is it? I can't seem to match it up to anything so I've put it in my playlist straight after Fanfare and Prologue as a 'Prologue Pt. 2'.

If only JW had done a Hobbit-style special edition which merged the FYC and OST into one 100 minute or so set.

Approaching the Throne :music: :dance: (I'm loving the brass and woodwind interplay from 2:54, building up to the ROS theme - I just wish the swirling strings didn't stop at 3:40 - I wanted it to build up more and more! - Still one of the best recent action moments from JW)

And 1:40 onwards reminds me of the latter part of Padme's Ruminations.

2 hours ago, Gistech said:

Listening to the album's opening and how it doesn't line up at all with the film, I wonder if the opening Williams scored was actually much longer but was cut down for some reason.

they filmed multiple different beginnings to the movie. No doubt in my mind the one that made the soundtrack was williams favorite one, at least musically.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

One question - the opening of the FYC Prologue isn't on the OST, is it?

Check out post #1 of this thread here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30975-the-rise-of-skywalker-for-your-consideration-fyc-album-discussion-no-film-spoilers-allowed/

9 minutes ago, stravinsky said:

Hello are there tickets left for the Vienna, gig? And when is it? 

12 hours ago, Jay said:

4 hours ago, Gistech said:

Listening to the album's opening and how it doesn't line up at all with the film

Attack of the Clones was the same way.

I should cancel my order and just download the album.

So the two themes in the Rise of Skywalker tracks are indeed 1. Trio theme and the second one I will call... Resistance theme but no we already have the March of the Resistance. Maybe the people's theme or the galaxy's theme or democracy theme or something like that. I think the concept it represents is the spirit of triumph and a fighting spirit but in a hopeful way. I can't say much more (though there is nothing much to spoil as to what it represents) - it is a good guy theme as is entirely obvious from its soaring nature.

But yeah, I am struggling with the names. But the 2 are most definitely separate themes. The trio theme has much broader application. The other theme is I think applied in 2 scenes that's it. 

If I were to guess the sequence of events I think Williams wrote basically a standalone piece for that ending scene. And then liked it too much and wrote a concert rendition and then included it in 2 or 3 other scenes to make it a "theme". But yes, what it represents in theory is a wee bit nebulous.

Maybe I will post detailed thoughts in the spoiler thread.

The HD version of Rise of Skywalker is now available at all the usual sites that sell those files (joining Quboz whom launched early I believe). HDtracks, Presto, ProStudio Masters etc. Presto has it for $12.75 in 192/24 which is the best price I have seen of all those sites for above CD or MP3 quality.

Also, my physical CD has shipped from Amazon, so I guess those are rolling out to those who pre-ordered, at least in the US.

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

So the two themes in the Rise of Skywalker tracks are indeed 1. Trio theme and the second one I will call... Resistance theme but no we already have the March of the Resistance. Maybe the people's theme or the galaxy's theme or democracy theme or something like that. I think the concept it represents is the spirit of triumph and a fighting spirit but in a hopeful way. I can't say much more (though there is nothing much to spoil as to what it represents) - it is a good guy theme as is entirely obvious from its soaring nature.

But yeah, I am struggling with the names. But the 2 are most definitely separate themes. The trio theme has much broader application. The other theme is I think applied in 2 scenes that's it. 

If I were to guess the sequence of events I think Williams wrote basically a standalone piece for that ending scene. And then liked it too much and wrote a concert rendition and then included it in 2 or 3 other scenes to make it a "theme". But yes, what it represents in theory is a wee bit nebulous.

Maybe I will post detailed thoughts in the spoiler thread.

Yep, definitely two separate themes. Previously, they had been referred to on this forum as the "Rise of Skywalker" theme and the trio theme, but I no longer think "Rise of Skywalker" theme is a good title for it, considering the theme's actual usage in the film. It's used less often than you would expect, and more towards the tail-end of the film. The trio theme is more present throughout the whole of the score. I think "The Rise of Skywalker" as a track title is no more of a theme identifier than "The Rebellion Is Reborn", is. It's simply a title used for a concert arrangement of two different themes. So, yes, we need to think up a better name to call that theme by.

5 hours ago, Demodex said:

Attack of the Clones was the same way.

I should cancel my order and just download the album.

Attack of the Clones was clearly three cues mashed into one. I'm going to agree that this was probably from a different version of the opening, like TFA had.

15 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Does anyone else think the French horn theme from the opening of "Journey to Exegol" (0:08) is criminally underutilized/underdeveloped? It shows up basically that one time, and while the orchestral texture continues for another 30 seconds or so, it would have been great for the theme itself to get more of a workout, maybe with a bit of a B section. But man, what I wouldn't give for a concert arrangement of that theme... Easily one of the highlights, for me at least.

It is faaaantastic, nobody does travel music like John Williams

14 hours ago, Panama Jack said:

And has there been any rumor at all of a FYC CD to hopefully get those tracks in lossless quality? 

Disney sent out physical CDs of the FYC albums for TFA, The BFG, and TLJ.  They might for TROS too, or they might not.  We have no way of knowing until all of a sudden one day one turns up on ebay

1 hour ago, stravinsky said:

Ach I've miss the boat as its a, waiting list only. Probably sold out months ago. Bummer because I have that weekend off. Canny be helped. 

People have been popping in to sell tickets all the time, right here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/forum/15-the-marketplace/

3 minutes ago, Diego said:

So, is the speeder chase a concert arrangement?

Its not in the film, and it has a concert ending. So Id say it’s an alternate cue (that is infinitely better than the underscore that was used) that he added an ending to, and perhaps modified the structure for. So....yes? Idk

My vote is concert arrangement.  I don't think what's on the OST wouldn't have worked with the film version without some significant editing.  Then again, who knows how much the sequence was edited after Williams scored it.

18 hours ago, lairdo said:

One thing I did on my playlist and I offer it up to others to try or comment: I programed the concert suite Rise of Skywalker ahead of the main title. Sort of like an overture, although one that only introduces one theme as compared to more standard ones. I guess sort of like how Jerry Goldsmith opened Star Trek The Motion Picture with Ilia's theme played against a black screen. I like the way RoS ends and then a brief pause and bang, the main title. Anyway, give it a try.

Nice, I will.

For now, I’ve programmed Anthem of Evil and The Rise of Skywalker in the middle of @Jay’s chronological playlist—after Destiny of a Jedi and before Battle of the Resistance. That way they serve as a sort of Intermission/Entr’act, like the concert suites in the ‘97 special edition releases. It’s a similar effect, with RoS fading out and then then the blast of Battle of the Resistance. And I like the narrative effect, with BotR serving as an act 2 (or disc 2) opener.

if you like that sort of thing, I also have The Rebellion is Reborn in between The Sacred Jedi Texts and right before Rey’s Journey in my TLJ playlist, and for TFA, Rey’s Theme and MotR after The Abduction and before Han and Leia.

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

More than any other Williams score I can think of, this scores makes me wish Williams was more with the times in terms of it being OK to release long albums right out of the gate.  Disney Records funded long albums for Avengers Endgame and Black Panther and others, and I'm sure they would have done the same for JW if he was willing to construct a longer album for them.

Honestly, I'm glad he doesn't. And I'm perfectly happy to wait years for an expanded/complete release.

Gotta have something to look forward too ten years from now.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

ALL the music in the first track after the Main Title portion is COMPLETELY unused in the film (apart from the little trumpet fanfare from 1:45-1:52, which was tracked into a different scene).  Its clearly music John wrote for a completely different prologue that is no longer in the film at all.  I'm glad he chose to give us this music on the OST album!

The twinkly bit at 2:51 in the first track (possibly starting slightly before, not sure) is in the film.

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

Please notice, I didn't suggest that we should have gotten a complete releases out of the gate.  I said longer release.  In other words, I still want Williams to craft a listening experience from whatever he considers to be the highlights as the OST album.  I just want a 100+ minute OST album, not a 75 minute OST album.

This still leaves room for a "catalog" style complete release done by a restoration producer (like a Mike Matessino) down the road, at a later date.

When people primarily bought new music albums on vinyl, he crafted 40 minute OST albums.

When people primarily bought music on CDs, he crafted 50-75 minute OST albums.

Now, we're in an era where people primarily buy music as digital downloads or stream it, and he is still crafting 50-75 minute OST albums, instead of crafting experiences of fluctuating length that the scope and scale of the score dictate.  The RIse of Skywalker is a long, epic score for a long, epic movie, and deserves a first release longer than 75 minutes. 

In my opinion.

I think for him that 75-80 minute mark might  be a good mental benchmark though, that gives him the restrictive parameters in which to think about the flow of an album.

1 minute ago, Romão said:

Re-used as it may be, the transition that leads to the Yoda and the Force quote in Destiny of a Jedi is fantastic, sounds completely natural

I love it, actually. Surprising, but feeling inevitable at the same time.