The Rise of Skywalker OST Album Discussion

Jay

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yes, it is a concert arrangement

Do we know this for sure?  With "The Rise of Skywalker" it was obvious, but this one sounds like it could be a couple of cues edited together potentially.  I'm not saying it *isn't* a concert arrangement.

We Go Together Wow, from 0:00-2:33 was like the FYC track We Go Together, exploring the nice new Trio Theme, then immediately at 2:33 is segues to a new fast-paced riff that isn't like anything on the FYC.  I'm not even sure if the rest of the track is new or a part of FYC To Kimiji, but it was very nice!

Join Me is more cool ominous music, reminds me of a part of Revenge of the Sith I think.  Then Rey's Theme comes in, and a little bit of action breaks out!  Later Rey's Theme is integrated into the action and sounds really cool

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

You must be new here. Give it a week and there'll be fifteen thousand new Star Wars threads, most of them talking about exactly same things and a few of them literally being duplicates of existing threads.

Joined in 2010.  But it was a prequels quote.

They Will Come is nice, featuring some March of the Resistance and the Rise of Skywalker theme! It's actually a really nice rendition that is quite different from the concert arrangement. 

Hmm at 1:30 it sounds like Williams segues from one cue to a different cue.  The second cue is a big workout of March of the Resistance, very similar to that unreleased cue from The Force Awakens, as well as the concert arrangement.  Then it ends with a sweet and optimistic ending featuring the Rise of Skywalker theme.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Do we know this for sure?  With "The Rise of Skywalker" it was obvious, but this one sounds like it could be a couple of cues edited together potentially.  I'm not saying it *isn't* a concert arrangement.

Yeah, the end of this leads me to believe it may be cues.

1 minute ago, Larry O said:

Whoever it was that said Destiny of a Jedi is going to be a concert hall staple in the future was absolutely right. What an amazing piece of work that was. 

You mean "The Rise of Skywalker"?

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

maybe because it isn't used in the film?

Yeah, I understand that it could be a concert suite…but if any of that material is in the film…

Just now, filmmusic said:

maybe because it isn't used in the film?

Listening to it, it seems sort of unlikely. It plays like underscore, and there's even, what sounds to me, like evidence of a post-production edit to the cue near the end. 

Unless whatever scene they're scoring had ALL of its music taken out very late in the game, I would be very surprised if that track wasn't represented in the film. 

The Final Lightsaber Duel opens like the FYC Final Saber Duel track, but then continues with some nice new, softer material.  There's the force theme and a nice string passage, which gives way to that nice long Leia's Theme rendition from Healing Wounds.  Nice track

Battle of the Resistance is great!  It features Poe's Theme!  And the Rebel Fanfare! (For the first time on the album I believe).  Oh wow, and then The Force Theme!  Nice track, but boy The Speeder Chase is the far superior action piece compared to this one

Approaching The Throne is like the FYC Approaching The Throne, although the opening sounds different.  Still features the rising and falling motif, and the great rendition of the Rise of Skywalker theme busting in halfway through, which gives way to the March of the Resistance, I love it.

The end is different than the FYC track to, with a percussion hit after the choral outburst

Jon Broxton, who got the album early, said this about Anthem of Evil: “I won’t say anything until I hear it in context.”

That might mean it’s not a concert suite.

It’s possible he was talking about the score in general, but Anthem of Evil was the OP’s talking point.

The Force Is With You is FYC Seeing Sights and FYC Rescue.  So the Seeing Sights part has that great evil Emperor's Theme with choir... the segue from that cue into Rescue doesn't sound very good though, I don't know what happened there.... it's a good thing they are separated on the FYC.  Oh wow, and this version of Rescue is much shorter I believe...

Farewell is a nicer, longer version of FYC Farewell, though I'm not sure if all the material from the FYC version is here?  Both end up getting to the same place, with the big, grand, optimistic rendition of the Rise of Skywalker theme to finish things off, it sounds great.

Reunion Woah!  What is this?  It sounds so different from everything that came before!  Is this another concert arrangement?  Luke's theme gets a fun, playful rendition, which leads into The Force Theme, later some Poe's Theme, a lengthy rendition of Yoda's theme (basically straight from the TESB concert arrangement), which awkwardly segues into Rey's Theme, which leads to Luke and Leia, and finally the Rise of Skywalker theme.  Holy smokes.

This must be film cues, and I can see why it was left off the FYC because of the old arrangements, but its also kind of a weird and choppy track regardless.  I wonder if this was JW's first pass at this scene or if JJ requested changes which lead to it sounding like this