The Rise of Skywalker OST Album Discussion

Jay

18 minutes ago, Drew said:

Jon Broxton, who got the album early, said this about Anthem of Evil: “I won’t say anything until I hear it in context.”

That might mean it’s not a concert suite.

It’s possible he was talking about the score in general, but Anthem of Evil was the OP’s talking point.

Pretty sure he was referring in general

Finale starts off sounding just like the Last Jedi finale, then we get the classic end credits opening, the Rise of Skywalker Theme, the Imperial March, Rey's Theme, the trio theme... then the freaking Main Title march again..... then some of the Throne Room concert arrangement? Then the traditional end credits ending at a slightly different tempo.   I dunno, this started as a nice medley then got kinda rote by the end.

I kind of feel a shorter medley would be more impact.  The first thing I'd drop would be The Imperial March, as while it's a sweet new re-recording (faster paced, I think), it's still the old arrangement.  The Rey's theme section, however, is new and TERRIFIC, I am glad he is still finding ways to rework that theme.

Just now, Jay said:

Finale starts off sounding just like the Last Jedi finale, then we get the classic end credits opening, the Rise of Skywalker Theme, the Imperial March, Rey's Theme, the trio theme... then the freaking Main Title march again..... then some of the Throne Room concert arrangement? Then the traditional end credits ending at a slightly different tempo.   I dunno, this started as a nice medley then got kinda rote by the end.

I kind of feel a shorter medley would be more impact.  The first thing I'd drop would be The Imperial March, as while it's a sweet new re-recording (faster paced, I think), it's still the old arrangement.  The Rey's theme section, however, is new and TERRIFIC, I am glad he is still finding ways to rework that theme.

Yeah, I'm disappointed.  I would have preferred the new themes, and then a summation of the sequel trilogy maybe.  The OT stuff felt out of place.

5 minutes ago, JacksonElmore said:

@Jay How many new themes did you say there are?

I didn't notice any additional themes beyond the 5 listed in the FYC thread's main post

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I didn't notice any additional themes beyond the 5 lists in the FYC thread's main post

well, there is the speeder chase theme, so that's 6.

and the anthem of evil theme.

So did these tracks

04. In the Desert (2:27)
05. A Prisoner (1:24)
06. To Kimiji (1:38)
08. Hallway Shooting (2:11)
09. Hard to Get Rid Of (2:20)
13. Final Saber Duel (1:38)
14. Healing Wounds (2:50)

Appear anywhere in the OST?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've never considered a melody that appears in only one cue a "theme"

oh, really? I do. An incidental theme, but still a theme...

In that regard, I guess you don't consider the theme from Anthem of evil a theme too..

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I've never considered a melody that appears in only one cue a "theme"

I don't know. Some are so iconic that for me it is a theme.

Like Asteroid Field. Only appearded once but it's so iconic that it was theme for me. And Solo did it again so it "officially" became a theme!

The OST track called The Final Saber duel is FYC Final Saber Duel and FYC Healing Wounds combined

Falcon Flight and In The Desert were definitely not on the OST anywhere

Is it me, or does it seem like every transition between themes in the finale would work better if you opened the file in a DAW, and manually moved each new theme (except for the Main Title reprise at the 8min mark) back about one second? 

it feels like the blending of the medley is weirdly prolonged at many of the joins. 

Also, that Main Title reprise at the end might be a soundtrack-only sort of thing, like Revenge of the Sith's was? It's kind of a strangely re-done version of the album version of the Main Title from 1977, much like the ROTS soundtrack had the concert suite version of that same program inserted into its End Titles through a few awkward edits. 

At least the Main Title (or Fanfare) on this soundtrack is VASTLY improved from the previous two films' soundtrack presentations.

19 minutes ago, Larry O said:

I haven't gotten there yet, but it sounds like he tried to split the difference between a ST sum-up and the Revenge of the Sith "victory lap" on the Finale? 

Pretty much.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

The first thing I'd drop would be The Imperial March, as while it's a sweet new re-recording (faster paced, I think), it's still the old arrangement.

It is a sweet rerecording—possibly the best sounding version we've ever had. I don't think it started off quite as fast-paced as the OST, but still noticeably faster than some of his recent concert renditions. But as it builds to the ending, the tempo starts to drag a bit, as often seems to happen with JW's conducting these days.

For "Finale", I just wish that the Imperial March didn't come between Anthem of Evil and Rey's Theme.  If it instead came between the Rise of Skywalker theme and the main title fanfare, we'd have an unbroken stretch of new stuff + Rey's theme which should be in there of course.