The Rise of Skywalker OST Album Discussion

Jay

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

I'm not an overt fan so I haven't studied either score extensively but I would classify RoS the most reflective, whereas TFA will always be the one with a big long middle portion of musical nothings and a good first half and end credits piece.

I've just listened to tiny bits on YouTube so far and "reflective" is the first expression that came to my mind.

Just now, publicist said:

Why on earth you still need another recording of THAT??

Still better than the same recording twice.

I still give a thumbs up to Williams' initial notion that the new series from 1999 should have their own themes (Lucas apparently told him 'Interesting idea....forget it!')

Williams reasoning was sound: it's Luke Skywalker's theme, so why shove it into TPM? But of course, showman considerations prevailed and it was kept, as was the end credits crawl. I understand both sides, though as a listener I find it incredibly annoying having to listen to the old 1977 tune all the way through the ennealogy.

3 hours ago, stravinsky said:

I know this is a, daft question but could someone give me timestamps of the five new themes. If indeed there are actually five? 

Here you go:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30975-the-rise-of-skywalker-for-your-consideration-fyc-album-discussion-no-film-spoilers-allowed/

(bottom of the main post) 

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

It's all a bit empty and hollow, as befits this kind of movies that are essentially about nothing but toy marketing and spawning sequels. 

There is about 15 seconds of action treatment to the Force theme in “Battle of the Resistance” that sounds genuinely heartfelt, solemn, and ironically given that it’s an old theme, fresh. That’s about it. 

I have really taken to Anthem of Evil.  It did not grab me the first time, as it is probably not "catchy" enough to do that.  However, on repeated listens, it has grown on me. It is some really strong, dark writing with perfect development throughout.  I hope he makes a concert piece, even if written purely orchestral, out of it.  (If I had my way, there would be about seven concert pieces from this score, yet I know we will only get one.)

12 hours ago, Tom said:

The Finale is a perfect musical conclusion for the average (i.e., non-obsessed JW fanatics--i.e., not us) fan.  I can see why he went in that direction.  

As a follow-up, the transition from the Anthem to Imperial March is as good as it gets.  

The famous “Star Wars” themes — including the opening fanfare, music for the Force and themes for Rey and the Emperor — return, along with four new motifs: the darkly hued “Anthem of Evil,” a more upbeat “Rise of Skywalker” theme, a scherzo for action sequences and new music for Kylo Ren (Adam Driver). 

https://variety.com/2019/artisans/production/john-williams-star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-1203446034/

I haven't seen the film yet but is this theme identification from Variety correct? Rise of Skywalker is 2 themes instead of 1 right?

11 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

https://variety.com/2019/artisans/production/john-williams-star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-1203446034/

I haven't seen the film yet but is this theme identification from Variety correct? Rise of Skywalker is 2 themes instead of 1 right?

Those are the same themes we found on the FYC, yes

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30975-the-rise-of-skywalker-for-your-consideration-fyc-album-discussion-no-film-spoilers-allowed/

(bottom of the post)

I believe the theme called the Rising and Falling motif in that post, is the one said to be a "new theme for Kylo Ren" in that article

As for Rise of Skywalker, I suppose there is no empirically correct answer; You can either consider the "Trio Theme" and "Rise of Skywalker Theme" as two completely separate themes that get a concert arrangement called "The Rise of Skywalker" that combined them, or you can consider "The Rise of Skywalker Theme" as one long theme, and the "Trio Theme" and what we otherwise call the "Rise of Skywalker Theme" as two halves of this one theme.

7 minutes ago, publicist said:

I see. Good to know, if I make a short trip to Vienna over the weekend I will be in touch.

More information here: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28512-john-williams-to-conduct-the-vienna-philharmonic-january-1819-2020/

And here: https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30660-who-is-coming-to-vienna/

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Those are the same themes we found on the FYC, yes

(bottom of the post)

I believe the theme called the Rising and Falling motif in that post, is the one said to be a "new theme for Kylo Ren" in that article

So Kylo now has 3 themes! Is he the most over-blessed character by Williams. I get the sense that out of the two original Kylo themes, his second one hasn't received a lot of play.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

As for Rise of Skywalker, I suppose there is no empirically correct answer; You can either consider the "Trio Theme" and "Rise of Skywalker Theme" as two completely separate themes that get a concert arrangement called "The Rise of Skywalker" that combined them, or you can consider "The Rise of Skywalker Theme" as one long theme, and the "Trio Theme" and what we otherwise call the "Rise of Skywalker Theme" as two halves of this one theme.

I think the film should help clarify that a bit. I am currently thinking of them as separate themes. Since only the concert suite would give you any indication that they are related.

2 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

There is about 15 seconds of action treatment to the Force theme in “Battle of the Resistance” that sounds genuinely heartfelt, solemn, and ironically given that it’s an old theme, fresh. That’s about it. 

I heard it, and there are always small bits that are likable, but the general feeling is one of much orchestral huffing and puffing, often in an unpleasant start/stop fashion, that took a lot of effort to write and perform though i don't know to what end. More like a purely technical exercise than something that just needs to get out, musically. 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I assume you will not be joining the euro members this time, Jason?

On 10/30/2019 at 12:29 PM, Jay said:

The LeBlancs will not be attending

Have fun everyone!

You know, it's probably less work to answer with "No, we're not able to go this time Stefan" than to fish out a quote from several months ago to prove a point.

It's also a bit more considering towards someone who has severe memory and concentration issues sometimes.

But hey,,,,,

3 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

This is the encore of an ending. You were never gonna get anything fresh or new. 

Yes and no. The whole thing has been an encore but I don’t hear anything like “The Rise of Skywalker” in Sith and Jedi. YMMV how fresh it really is obviously. It’s in my wheelhouse so I like it. 

If this score was closer to 3’s bombast that would have been a straight-up encore. I like this score’s sweetness. 

Like I said, I object most to the repetition of i. e. the big tutti at the end, which has been used so often now it just feels like a cop-out, no matter what. It would have been much more appropriate to let this go out on a whisper instead of the same bang as three of the other movies (and countless concert recordings). He did that beautifully on the other two.

Yes, the lack of Rey's theme to close this end credits cue out was a bit weird.

1 minute ago, hornist said:

I think this orchestral huffing and puffing is for me greatest music ever composed and wonderful playing by the orchestra. 

But that's your standard answer to every single thing JW has composed in this decade, so....kinda worthless as a point of critique for me.

No offence.

Listening more, I find the A and B parts of The Rise of Skywalker themes to almost be working as meta-level goodbyes from JW to the entire Star Wars saga within the context of the score. I don't get that feeling from the concert arrangement itself but elsewhere on the OST when it is side by side with other themes, it sounds like an incredibly fitting goodbye.

10 minutes ago, hornist said:

As pointless as all of these standard haters critique for me. 

And of course that was a provocative comment. 

Oh I don't hate you, or John Williams.

I'm rather fond of you actually.

27 minutes ago, publicist said:

Like I said, I object most to the repetition of i. e. the big tutti at the end, which has been used so often now it just feels like a cop-out, no matter what. It would have been much more appropriate to let this go out on a whisper instead of the same bang as three of the other movies (and countless concert recordings). He did that beautifully on the other two.

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes, the lack of Rey's theme to close this end credits cue out was a bit weird.

I think Williams did write that soft ending but decided to put it at the end of The Rise of Skywalker instead. It's a complete match to the TFA/TLJ endings in terms of instrumentation, with the fading strings and the harp arpeggio and all.

In my playlist, I've edited out the Main Titles/Throne Room from Finale and replaced it with the ending of The Rise of Skywalker. I wouldn't be surprised if the signature edition included it as an alternate ending, like the TFA suite.

Yes, I too am expecting more interest arrangements to show up as published sheet music, and hopefully nice recordings!

19 minutes ago, aviazn said:

In my playlist, I've edited out the Main Titles/Throne Room from Finale and replaced it with the ending of The Rise of Skywalker. I wouldn't be surprised if the signature edition included it as an alternate ending, like the TFA suite.

That is actually a nice idea, thanks!

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I think you've worded it better than I ever good.

There's nothing actually wrong with it, compositionally. And if you've a fan who's happy to take what is broadly more of the same I see why you could even love it. 

yeah but Rise of Skywalker track is a great one that we'll be playing for a long time .For that alone it's worth it

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Instead I've been listening to a 28 track playlist, that takes the 19 OST tracks and adds in 9 FYC tracks for a very nice, and very well-rounded 95 minute listening experience.  You can see the playlist here if you want to try listening to this score that way yourself.

I think the score, in this configuration, has a REALLY nice pace to it.  It has a strong narrative drive and a nice balance of all the components of it - action, bleakness, optimism, moodiness, hapiness, desperation, it's not lopsided in any direction at all.

Plus, AS USUAL, there's a bunch of unreleased music we haven't properly heard yet, probably including major highlights like variations of that dark fanfare and Rey's Theme

I remember I was dissapointed with Revenge of the sith  and in expanded form it's one of his best

Instead of constantly posting about what you haven't heard yet, how about actually sharing some thoughts on what you've heard and like about this score?  You've mentioned the TROS concert arrangement, but what else?  Share your thoughts, man!

King Mark has always had an compulsive nature to worry about music that is missing and may never be released.

But yeah, there's 77 minutes of new Star Wars Music just released. I'll gladly focus on that for a while before worrying about what's been left off. If i even will.

All JW's Star Wars music will be eventually be released anyway, even more so with the conclusion of JW's involvement. How many cd's would the whole thing take anyway? Like 22?