The Rise of Skywalker OST Album Discussion

Jay

Also, it only just now occurred to me, on my way through the second listen, that despite hoping for a new version/arrangement of Duel of the Fates, not only did I not get it, I didn't miss it, nor was I disappointed by its absence.

If it shows up in the movie but not the soundtrack, it'll be a nice surprise, like Palpatine's theme in The Last Jedi. 

Reunion sounds like a End Credit segment

1 minute ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

I think I will re-listen to it a couple times, go watch the film, read 20 more pages on this thread, and then make up my mind what I think of it. My initial impression is just not positive.

I thought you liked the FYC

My ATH-MSR7b are ready. Just have to wait for the soundtrack to be legally available in great quality. Not even interested to try to find the already available version ; your various comments are enough for me. It'll be great :D 

I really can't get over how great this re-recording of the Imperial March sounds. Obviously cleaner than the OST, but acoustics are not as dry, and crisper than the Dudamel live recording. Holy hell, the percussion in the interlude at the beginning of the coda!

But it's soooooo slow. Compare…

7 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Reunion sounds like a End Credit segment

I do wonder if that medley section of it will appear in the film version of the end titles. 

The film version almost has to be different, because the end credits are only 9:25 long in the film, and the pre-finale bit (which I think is tracked from The Last Jedi?) is only 33 seconds. 

What's on the soundtrack is a minute longer than what's in the film. 

3 minutes ago, toothless said:

My ATH-MSR7b are ready. Just have to wait for the soundtrack to be legally available in great quality. Not even interested to try to find the already available version ; your various comments are enough for me. It'll be great :D 

OMG, you have $250 worth earphones?

Sorry for the off topic. 

Go on everyone.

Listening to the OST right now with the crappy earphones I have on my work. I have better ones at home, but I wouldn't be able to wait until I get there, lol.

Has anyone already done a theme breakdown on the tracks?

2 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Pardon my Live-editing tendencies. This is part of the reason of my disappointement. OST is much longer and yet not that exciting (lack of big, swinging themes or big setpieces), and has an overly long, imho weirdly (incomprehensibly even) structured ending, which drags forever (I was bored and empty at this point). As for various tracks, I got used to the FYC edit. I also expected the OST to match the energy of ROTJ, ROTS, or frankly every other Star Wars film. Here, it feels like Harry in front of the mirror, then a scene from Warhorse, then the ending of Home Alone, and oh my god just give me Across the Stars, or an uninterrupted March of the Resistance, or just anything lyrical and in vigorous motion. The sappy ending with Luke & Leia, Yoda, Rey + the new (slow) theme just sapped whatever energy remained out of me.

The new recording of the Imperial March is nice, I guess.

Most of us will be combining the 2 shortly

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Anthem of Evil - HOLY COW, that opening!  It opens with a spooky whispered version of The Emperor's Theme.  Wow!  As this track goes on, it keeps the quiet and subdued air to it...... this is really really cool.  Now there's a new theme playing, I think the theme from FYC Prologue and FYC Join Me?  The intensity is really picking up now, and now a nice grand finale.

That was a cool arrangement, but The Rise of Skywalker is the clear standout concert arrangement of this score

Both of these are the new stand alone set pieces. I love the way Rise of Skywalker ends-reminds me of the way he used to end his themes back in the 80's. 

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Is Speeder Chase the only sequel trilogy action cue to not feature any existing themes at all?

TFA: “The Bombing Run” track I would assume contains multiple cues; the first part (the action cue) doesn’t feature any existing themes, unless you count the thing that sounds like “Luke about to shoot the Death Star” ostinato. By that logic, perhaps the second half of “I Can Fly Anything”? Also, “The Rathtars”? (The little bit on the TFA doesn’t have any recognizable themes).

I made the mistake of letting the FYC leak influence my expectations of the OST. I thought I'd place it somewhere between The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi. But no, it is miles better than either of them. The FYC barely scratched the surface, and I am delighted that that was the case. I'm just halfway through the album, yet I've already heard action music and thematic romanticism that exceeds my expectations. These are wonderful, highly varied, deeply developed works, suitable for a concert hall, to be played alongside John Williams classics. It's all a pleasure to listen to. He damn better play some of those pieces in Vienna.

I'm really liking the track The Rise of Skywalker. It sounds like a more "epic" version of Rose's Theme and Anakin's Theme, mixed with Fawkes the Phoenix. I also hear some of the "magic" he put on his early 90s scores, like Hook and the Home Alone movies. Pretty great!

4 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Makes sense, though, that he wants an arrangement to play in symphony concerts without choir.

Oh of course, I get why the concert version doesn't have choir.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

an overall unsatisfying end credits medley.

Yeah, like @Larry O said, it seems JW just couldn't resist pulling out the old Throne Room.

In my mind, the true ending to this album is the end of The Rise of Skywalker. That lovely fade with the strings and the harp is a perfect rhyme with those soft, searching statements of Rey's Theme that ended the TFA and TLJ albums. Those were like questions, and The Rise of Skywalker theme is the answer.

In my dreams, the Signature Edition includes the end of The Rise of Skywalker as an alternate, just like how with Jedi Steps and Finale you can pick from the Throne Room or the OST ending.

I love the string writing on Destiny of a Jedi. These cellos... :lovethis: It's like a Star War-ized version of War Horse.

I guess, on the movie, this track is made of several cues scattered throughout the film, playing every time Rey hears a wise advice from someone.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Is "Reunion" a Concert suite?  Honestly, I really hope it's not a real scene of the movie!!!

It should have been titled:

Spoiler

Parade of the Force Ghosts

Great score indeed.  Definitely has more life and motion than TLJ.  TFA still has a certain boldness to it, and more thematic invention that I somewhat miss in this one, but, I've got to remember this is a finale to a trilogy, and, as that, it is excellent. 

The main weakness is the underwhelming Finale and the odd Reunion, and even A New Home, which lacks enough impact, to me at least.

3 minutes ago, King Mark said:

sounds like a discarded End Credit bit. 

I dunno, sounds like an awards ceremony, or a curtain call where everyone comes out and takes a bow.

Seems like a very plausible way for JJ to wrap things up. Though if that's how it ends, I'll also be disappointed.

Yeah, this album is really good. As expected, the presentation is much better than the FYC. There are a few moments from the FYC missing in this, like that section of "Prologue," but that doesn't matter much because we already have it on the FYC anyway. Rey's theme and Luke and Leia's theme near the end of "Reunion" are really moving. I'm glad that "Finale" isn't full of music tracked from the rest of the film!

Oh, and that section of "Palpatine's Seduction" in "Fanfare in Prologue" at 2:42... it was a pleasant surprise. I do wish more of the prequel music had been reflected in here, but it's alright. We had three films of that. Though if Don is correct, and every theme from all other eight films are in this movie, then there'll be more of the prequel themes in the movie, just not on the album or the FYC. That being said, I don't really think it's necessary--this movie shouldn't be a rehash of all the other ones.

3 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

The main weakness is the underwhelming Finale and the odd Reunion, and even A New Home, which lacks enough impact, to me at least.

yeah but it's a lot better than having bits of score edited togheter

49 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

OMG, you have $250 worth earphones?

Sorry for the off topic. 

Go on everyone.

Cheaper than any fancy Bluetooth headphones such as Bose headphone 700 or Sony wh1000xm3 and way better sound quality. I really dig the neutral sound of ATH :) Soundstage is awesome. Sure when buying it hurts a bit to throw $250 but in the long run it’s more cost effective than buying cheap headphones more regularly :)