The Rise of Skywalker OST Album Discussion

Jay

5 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Personally I didn't think so at all. Regardless, their relationship and their connection ended up being central to this trilogy in a big way, romance or not. Williams's biggest missed opportunity on these films if you ask me.

Perhaps a miss for JW, but if the filmmakers knew this is where that was going from Episode 7 to 9, I think Williams would have done something or set something up. It's at least a shared miss with Lucasfilm's handling of the directors and story development.

There is also a small possibility that JW did not want to make the same accident from Ep 4 when he scored the music as if Luke & Leia would be a couple, and not brother and sister.

I was a bit hasty in saying it's a botched OST. I really don't know what tracks I'd leave out, but I would have made Lando Returns and Rey Training fit.

Some sections of Reunion and Finale are useless (Yoda's Theme,Imperial March and SW Main title at the end), so with those bits removed,  those 2 highlight cues of the trilogy would have fit..maybe without even removing anything actually

6 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

I agree that Anthem of Evil is a major weak spot in the album, especially since the theme makes so little an impression. The end credits arrangement is enough for me

There's a lot more of it in the film. I like the statement

Spoiler

as Rey approaches the Exegol fleet.

I think this might be its final appearance in the film actually (not counting the credits).

But yeah, on album it is poorly represented. My favourite statements are featured in the Join Me track. It is a superb cue.

Karol

It’s an ok album. Unfortunately there are no major set piece cues. 

The Rise Of Skywalker is a nice track and fitting theme to wrap up things.

6 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

We Go Together, 1:57–2:08 – is it just me or does anyone else hear a saxophone playing the melody (along with french horns)? Sounds to buzzy for a bassoon, I'd think.

Henry 

Hmmm, the timbre does sound rather buzzy like you say.

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

I can just hear a very prominent bassoon, but I could be wrong. I do like how much more the woodwinds seem to flourish in the mix of this score. Certainly the clearest the section has been in the sequels. Marvellous colours.

It's probably my favourite of the 3 sequel scores, mix wise. It's interesting how all 3 sound completely different though, giving them each a different colour.

I am loving all the new themes,

And I am hoping we will get an Isolated track include in the digital release like TLJ.

For the End Credits,

I don't really understand the use of the Imperial March, without any appearence of Annakin in the movie.

I would prefer a larger rendition of the Emperor Theme instead of it or even more the Anthem of Evil theme.

On 12/28/2019 at 3:27 PM, lairdo said:

Perhaps a miss for JW, but if the filmmakers knew this is where that was going from Episode 7 to 9, I think Williams would have done something or set something up. It's at least a shared miss with Lucasfilm's handling of the directors and story development.

It was clear in TLJ that Rey and Ren had some sort of bond. JW certainly could have picked up on that. But alas, a certain director didn't want spotting sessions with JW. 

The Star Wars movies aren't as thematically coherent as people would like to think, anyway. 

I really can't believe they removed most of that music from the film but that's why it wasn't included on the FYC.  Little did we know at the time that Abrams was still tinkering with the film after they released the first clip.

Yea I was just listening to Speeder Chase as its heard in the film and its got some Falcon Flight tracked in so I can understand why it wasn't on the FYC

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea I was just listening to Speeder Chase as its heard in the film and its got some Falcon Flight tracked in so I can understand why it wasn't on the FYC

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

yeah that cue is messed up in the film.At least the "heroic" section is in Falcon Flight

5 hours ago, p0llux said:

Can't believe they removed "The Speeder Chase" from the film. Such a spectacular action set piece. I've missed thematic action set pieces from him.

There are two crescendos during that scene.

1. Immediately after the "they fly now" dialog. That is scored with what Frank calls the Heroics motif.

2. When Poe destroy an adversary speedster. That is scored with the ending of Speed Chaser.

I believe this is the only time the speed chaser theme is heard in the film.

If this is truly the case then I think we should consider The Speech Chaser a concert suite. I think that might have been the intention anyways as the ending definitely plays like a concert ending. So along with Anthem of Evil and Rise of Skywalker, it would be the third concert suite.

There are too many sync points for it to be a standalone concert suite.

I want someone with editing skills to put it back into the film to hear how it sounds and why they had to cut it. 

I love it no matter what it is - concert or no, my second favorite track from the album behind We Go Together.

Makes me wonder what else was cut that we still haven't heard or will never hear. 

So, I listened it around 5 times now. It is a nice music. But as previous two, it is not on par with previous SW soundtracks from maestro. Does he now use a different orchestrator? Most of music from the new Trilogy is so... I dont know, it just not have that rich, colorful orchestration, its all strings and then brass.   Anyway, The Rise of Skywalker is really a nice track, love  the mood - am I hearing a bit of "Kings row" fanfare there? . What I do not like about this new trilogy music is, it really did not brought any good new theme, nothing even close to Duel of Fates, Across the stars or Duel of Fates. 

I suppose since he knew LA musicians would be playing these scores and not the LSO, he wrote to their strengths as opposed to the strength of the LSO

So how is Scherzo for X-Wings any different from this aside from the name? Did Williams write that as a film cue or a concert arrangement that Abrams decided to use in the film? The film version has its differences but I’m not sure if those are just inserts recorded at a later date or what.

"Blowing Up the Oscillator" is the film cue, "Sherzo for X-Wings" is a concert arrangement of that film cue, like "The Forest Battle" was a concert arrangement of "The Ewok Battle" or "The Magic of Halloween" was a concert arrangement of "Halloween"

Perhaps in this case - there isn't really a film cue because we know for a fact that it is all tracked and all there is - is a concert arrangement.

Anyways - 

Comparing the released clip to the OST, this bit at 23 seconds sticks out - 

Does anyone else think it sounds like the Knights of Ren motif? And if yes, where is it from?

That bit from the released clip is on the OST track too, though, at 1:24... What are you comparing, between the two? 

And I don't see how it sounds like the Knights of Ren; the Knights of Ren motif is typically fast triplets in the brass. (See: 1:43 in "Fanfare and Prologue" or 0:40 in the FYC track "To Kijimi".) What you've linked in this video is just a sustained trumpet note, followed by two eighth notes.