The Rise of Skywalker OST Album Discussion

Jay

In a way, Reunion is such a clear cousin of TFA's resolution and what I adore about the last few tracks is how Williams deals with each theme, especially Rey's in that it's both familiar and different; it's grown and found a new footing. It's music that has gone hrough a journey itself.

We couldn't have asked for more, honestly. This is the true Christmas gift.

The two "Rise of Skywalker" themes separately ending "Farewell" and "Reunion" reminds me a little of HP1. The way "Gryffindor Wins" and "Leaving Hogwarts" let both themes have their own emotional closer.

Goddddd the "trio" theme at the end of "Reunion", tho. If that is a final moment, conversation, last look, whatever, between those three...that is gonna be classic Williams.

41 minutes ago, Will said:

Just finished my first listen! There's some really terrific stuff, happily including some great material that wasn't on the FYC. I need to listen again before I give more thoughts -- rest assured I will have more specific praise soon! Unfortunately, the second half of "The Rise of Skywalker" doesn't sound quite as awesome to me anymore because I'd been replaying "Farewell" over and over again this past week, but of course the fact that I played it so many times just goes to show how great a theme it is! 

The biggest letdown is definitely "Finale," which was enormously disappointing and a terrible album-ender. Maybe JW ran out of time to write a more original and coherent suite! 

When I first heard the Main Titles through the end of Finale, I literally thought I accidentally jumped to the beginning of the album 😀 I don’t know whose idea it was to put it there but I don’t think it was JW’s or William Ross’ idea.

What a masterpiece.  Seeing the film in a few days and can't wait to hear it in context.  I'm just completely blown away by this score.

If one were to insert "Falcon Flight" and "In the Desert" from the FYC into the OST, where would they belong?

I think Finale is really a perfectly okay credits suite if you edit out the Main Title and tack on the end of The Rise of Skywalker. I really think that's how it's meant to be, and the Main Titles/Throne Room is only there so he doesn't have to play the entire Main Titles/Throne Room suite at concerts from now on.

Then you have: Binary Sunset — End Credits/Rolling Thunder — Trio theme — Anthem of Evil — Imperial March — Rey's theme — The Rise of Skywalker. That's a pretty good encapsulation of the sequel trilogy to me.

Okay so, for 'Finale', I want to preface that I love the piece, and I love the rendition of The Imperial March in it.  But it feels so out of place to have the Imperial March in this.  Also, when I first head it, it reminded me of all the times that the Imperial March is and was used as an encore at the Boston Pops Film Nights over the years.

I enjoy the cue, but for some reason the way it quickly transitions into the Imperial March like, made me think of those shows I've been to.

I love the Finale. I thought it was a great mix of TROS themes and classic themes to end the saga. It brought a huge smile to my face when the “Main Titles” appeared. That is THE Star Wars theme and it felt like it was coming back for one last encore performance. Then the throne room ending has always been my favorite end credits ending so, I loved it. I hope this ending makes it into the film. Like I said, for me it’s an encore of the best movie theme of all times.

Bravo, Mr. Williams, bravo for your unforgettable 42 year journey!

35 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

Forgive me if this is the wrong thread of the dozen available choices but I wanted to pop in and say that this is a fabulous sendoff for John's Star Wars - perhaps lacking a single moment of spectacular payoff, as is the film - but fabulous all the same.  I have lately rediscovered Star Wars through my children, and I thank Mr. Williams for being the soul of this world since my own childhood.

I miss you. 

Having only listened to it once so far, Finale is clunky. I don't like ending on the exact same rendition of Binary Sunset as TFA including the very ending swell, and the transitions between themes in the end credits sound rough. But maybe more listens will change my impression.

Finale's definitely not one of the great ones. But it's easy for me to forgive considering everything else.

We're pretty lucky to have gotten The Jedi Steps & Finale. Along with The Homecoming and The Peterson House & Finale, I will always remember those as particularly essential Williams pieces of the 2010s and among the great end credit suites of his career. There was definitely something extra special going on there. I remember us all having that feeling about his end credits suddenly getting really amazing in that time (from memory Jay was calling it out the most and the biggest champion of those things) and I think it’s an observation that’s really held up as he’s sorta winded down on them again lately.

Totally understand the criticisms of the Finale track, and of having the Main Title appear at the end along with the end of the End Credits, but there is something special about ending these 9 film's scores with the piece that began them. 

Huh, wasn't expecting to come back after 4 hours away to people mostly talking about the Finale track.

How about all the great NEW MUSIC guys?

I can't get enough Speeder Chase over here!

My initial somewhat negative thoughts from listening to the FYC have gone away after listening to the album. It made a MASSIVE difference with the music being in context, at least as much as it can be without seeing the footage. This is probably my favorite score of the new trilogy, it is magnificent.

My ONLY small gripe is how they used the exact binary sunset cue from TFA. It might even be the same recording(?) That seemed to me to be a wasted opportunity, especially since it has a somewhat sinister sound, when they should have ended it on a more heroic/uplifting note.

Here's the things I don't like on the OST:

Yoda's Theme in the middle of Reunion

Main Title at the end of Finale

End of film with Force Theme identical to TLJ

Unsure:Imperial March in Finale...it's s good recording though

That's it I think

I actually felt the old themes were out of place on this album. I get that it's Star Wars and the reprisal of iconic existing themes is completely expected, but the overall tone of this score is very somber, dark and emotive, which is awesome. The old stuff sticks out like a sore thumb and the original content sounds more mature, if that makes any sense.

3 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I actually felt the old themes were out of place on this album. I get that it's Star Wars and the reprisal of iconic existing themes is completely expected, but the overall tone of this score is very somber, dark and emotive, which is awesome. The old stuff sticks out like a sore thumb and the original content sounds more mature, if that makes any sense.

I feel like it's mostly integrated better than you seem to, but I definitely understand where you're coming from.

It didn't bother me, but it reminded me I was listening to a new SW score with old JW themes, but the overall score clearly is more in JW's dramatic soundscape. Definitely the best in terms of that stuff since Revenge.

I still feel the Finale / End Title is basically devised for the album. The Shazam listing referred to it as The Album Finale-So I think this edit is just unique to the OST  the way 'Mischief Managed' was for the AZKABAN OST album.We just have to wait till Friday and listen to the finale in the movie to figure it out and also once the CD back scan is properly revealed. However, i could be wrong entirely...

Just now, Amer said:

I still feel the Finale / End Title is basically devised for the album. The Shazam listing referred to it as The Album Finale-So I think this edit is just unique to the OST  the way 'Mischief Managed' was for the AZKABAN OST album.We just have to wait till Friday and listen to the finale in the movie to figure it out and also once the CD back scan is properly revealed. However, i could be wrong entirely...

Yes, give king mark reason to believe that the film will have an amazing end credits that won't be released for 15 years!

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Yes, give king mark reason to believe that the film will have an amazing end credits that won't be released for 15 years!

hmm make that 6-7 years.

I don't think i've ever heard Williams start a Concert Suite Theme cold open (Except for Jaws) like he does with both of the new themes. Both of them start directly with the motif, no introduction or anything. Seems like he's just cuttin' right to the good shit, cool technique.