How many times have you listened to the track The Rise of Skywalker?

King Mark

Rey's Theme gets so many more variations throughout the trilogy than either of these new themes gets in this movie though.  Even within any one film, Rey's Theme gets more interesting variations

But that doesn't make the underlying theme inherently better, to me. Rey's Theme gets more variations because its a main character theme and has been around two movies longer. A lesser (in my opinion, don't hate) theme getting more variations, doesn't make the theme itself better, for me at least. It just makes me wish the Victory Theme/We Go Together got more variations instead/as well, lol.

Maybe a bit extreme but, for example, I'd rather hear virtually any Williams theme without any variations, than 50 variations on a Giacchino theme. The point being, if I don't necessarily love a theme to begin with, no amount of variations is going to save it. (Again, I'm speaking at an extreme; I actually quite like Rey's Theme and I enjoy its many variations. I just like the two new TROS themes better!)

How many times I listen the track "The Rise of Skywalker", like the other track of the score,

approximately 120...

I just checked out of curiosity; according to iTunes, I've now listened to this track 30x. My most-listened track of TROS. (Second is "They Will Come", which I also attribute to my love of the Victory Theme.)

• 3 weeks later...

Twice so far for me...I was late to the TROS game, and I tend to space out my listens anyway. I quite like this theme and I think it serves the film well. It hasn't captivated me the way it has for some of you, but I do think it has a rather Giacchino-esque beauty.

3 hours ago, Datameister said:

Twice so far for me...I was late to the TROS game, and I tend to space out my listens anyway. I quite like this theme and I think it serves the film well. It hasn't captivated me the way it has for some of you, but I do think it has a rather Giacchino-esque beauty.

I think it's leagues beyond Giacchino.

You guys don't hear it? Don't get me wrong, it sounds like it was written by Williams, and I certainly didn't intend to accuse him of lifting material from Giacchino, but I hear some definite similarities in the approach. I'm talking about pieces like "Labor of Love", "Your Father Would Be Proud", "Parting Words", etc. You've got 4/4 meter with chord changes at the start of each measure...heavy reliance on simple, steady quarter note rhythms in the melody, often ending phrases with longer notes...overall major tonality with strategically placed minor chords to add emotional richness or bittersweetness... (I didn't fully think through all those exact similarities till now; it was just a "feel" thing, but I think it stands up to objective analysis.)

Huh. I guess I see in a way what you guys are talking about, but it still seems way better and fresher than Giacchino's writing. It's funny that this comparison is being made, because I tend to be not the biggest Giacchino fan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...