John Williams cameo in The Rise of Skywalker

Fabulin

He, he...I was thinking something should be done with the word 'bar', since it's also a musical term, but I can't think of any clever variation. Bar & Beats?

1 hour ago, Biodome said:

This is a MASSIVE SPOILER thread.

I got wind online that JW was playing a cameo character called 'Oma Tres' so deemed the thread safe to enter for confirmation of this rumor based on its title.

43 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's hard to see in that one still picture, but... is Oma Tres wearing a turtleneck?

Probably shot that cameo in 5 minutes. "Here John, stand in front of this green screen and put this weird thing on your face!"

Loved the cameo. Now I want:

-JNH as a wizard on the next Fantastic Beasts.

-Giacchino as a Gotham citizen on Matt Reeves' Batman.

-Zimmer with makeup as an alien on Dune.

Horner could've been a Na'Vi on Avatar 2 as well :( 

This has never had any reason to be a spoiler. It should be out in the open so everyone can look for Johns cameo because it's easy to miss John in his assimilated Borg look.

6 minutes ago, Ricardo Mortimer said:

Where was JW's part filmed? When it was in London, why wasn't music recorded here?

Probably in London, in hospital. That mask he's wearing is part of his treatment.

JW doesn't need to come all the way to London to film this. They just put him in his Omar Tres make up, film his cameo in LA and then insert it into the movie.

Unless it was a bigger part, on which he had actual dialogue with the characters, there's no need for him to leave the US.

On the other hand, he probably was disappointed that he didn't get to spend an afternoon at the set with Daisy Ridley...

JW: JJ, come closer baby. You must kill me, strike me down and I shall transfer my essence into you.

JJ: Please, don't do this John.

*Rian Johnson jumps down to the chamber. He joins JJ as they both stand defiant against Emperor Williams*

JW: A Force Dyad? Now you will both be drained of your lifeforce and I shall be restored to 80'S WILLIAMS!

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

On the other hand, he probably was disappointed that he didn't get to spend an afternoon at the set with Daisy Ridley...

Ah, yes. How awesome wouldn't it have been if Rey sat at the bar and had a therapeutic chat with the bartender? Would have loved to see that.

9 hours ago, Edmilson said:

JW doesn't need to come all the way to London to film this. They just put him in his Omar Tres make up, film his cameo in LA and then insert it into the movie.

It was probably done during one of the recording sessions or when Williams was writing the score and JJ was in town. 

JJ adores Williams so he probably "directed" the shot himself. But it's not something that would have involved a lot of work. Especially since JW seems to be wearing his own clothes.

I saw TROS last night and failed to catch that JW cameo. Not that I was aware that he actually got a cameo, ‘cause I stayed away from all the spoiler threads and therefore wasn’t looking. But now I wish I’d known this going in so I could’ve kept an eye out. Ah well, it’s a reason to see the movie again. 

My understanding is he was originally supposed to play a major supporting role in the first act that was essential to the story but, after falling out with JJ on set, he was edited out to only having one minor wordless scene as a petty way for Abrams to try and have the final word. Williams was fired from his scoring duties and Abrams tracked in the rest of the remaining film with weirdly chosen music from the previous films. 

57 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

It'll be hard to know for sure until we are able to watch this in HD, but I think that there might perhaps actually be a little more to this cameo? Specifically, looking at the shelf behind him, it looks like maybe the objects on it reference some of the scores Williams has worked on? I can't really make any of them out but one does appear to be a little pirate's hook in obvious reference to Hook. Would be anxious to try and figure out what the others are. 

Hide contents

image.png

Looks like a webcam!

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

It'll be hard to know for sure until we are able to watch this in HD, but I think that there might perhaps actually be a little more to this cameo? Specifically, looking at the shelf behind him, it looks like maybe the objects on it reference some of the scores Williams has worked on? I can't really make any of them out but one does appear to be a little pirate's hook in obvious reference to Hook. Would be anxious to try and figure out what the others are. 

Hide contents

image.png

Is that some sort of stereo player or something, over on the right? The knobs look like it.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:33 AM, Madmartigan JC said:

I'm not much of a collector myself, but I wonder how excited y'all are about the prospect of acquiring the inevitable Oma Tres action figure.

I'm holding out hope for a LEGO minifig, lol.

2 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It was a blink-and-you'll-miss-it thing, but in the cinema I had to restrain the urge to be all *OOOOOH, that was John Williams!* out loud :lol:

Ha, ha. Yes, I know the feeling. I'm guessing we all felt that.

You think they built a little mini-set in Los Angeles just for this tiny cameo?  I suppose it's possible.  I figured it was green screen but I guess either is plausible