John Williams cameo in The Rise of Skywalker

Fabulin

6 hours ago, Jay said:

You think they built a little mini-set in Los Angeles just for this tiny cameo?  I suppose it's possible.  I figured it was green screen but I guess either is plausible

Didn’t they do some TFA reshoots at Bad Robot in LA and reconstructed some of the Starkiller forest for the lightsaber fight? They have plenty of resources, they could have filmed this anywhere.

I just don’t see JW flying to London for one shot. Could have happened for sure, but with his health issues, would they really do that to him? 2 ten hour+ flights, even in first class is a drain on anyone. Then the hour or two of this work (hard to believe it was more than that). 

Even thinking of the $20K for the airfare, it would almost be cheaper to film in LA with green screen or a small set. Lots of film studios in LA to use.

But anyway, all speculation! At least he is there forever!

Nobody thought it was filmed in London. Of course it was filmed in LA. We just don't know if they built a set in LA or just greenscreened him into an existing set. 

On 12/21/2019 at 10:34 PM, Ricardo Mortimer said:

Where was JW's part filmed? When it was in London, why wasn't music recorded here?

It was raised as a question

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

We just don't know if they built a set in LA or just greenscreened him into an existing set. 

Is this important in any way?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

It was raised as a question

Is this important in any way?

Of course not!

But heck, we got all excited about Johnny's parked BMW in the pictures around Across the Stars with Anne-Sophie!

Seriously, I do think the cameo is rather odd which makes how it was done more interesting. First, it does not actually seem very humble "John Williams"-ish to do. I cannot imagine him saying he wanted to do it. JJ or someone else came up with the idea. Maybe he did it for his grandkids? Maybe just because he could? Further, the shot just sticks out in the movie. There is no need for it. There is no payoff to establishing the character. It's literally just there. It's not like he pushes an alarm button or calls the First Order to move the plot along. 

I actually think the sonic equivalent is of The Long Goodbye in TLJ. Again, it makes no sense other than Rian wanted it and JW humored him. And it sticks out too.

All that being said, I think JW deserved to be in the movie. He looked more in place than George and his kids back in the prequels, and he did not seem completely wrong (as Daniel Craig did in TFA). 

As Jason said, just chatting ideas...

On 12/23/2019 at 9:49 PM, Nick Parker said:

Yeah! I wish Lucas still had the rights to the original movies so he could go back to the cantina and delete all those pointless shots of the aliens that are just there.

Well, those aliens were added late in production (and shot in LA) to show the variety of the galaxy. So, they do have a point in the storytelling.

We just need a 6 or 9 book Oma Tres expanded universe set of novels featuring his adventures, a comic book run of at least 50 issues, and 4 or 5 action figures (Oma Tres, Oma Tres (removable eye thing), Young Oma Tres, Oma Tres (Bluetooth), etc). Then I will be super happy!

20 hours ago, SteveMc said:

I think he thought it would be fun!

I hope he did have fun! It was fun to see him.

27 minutes ago, lairdo said:

Well, those aliens were added late in production (and shot in LA) to show the variety of the galaxy. So, they do have a point in the storytelling.

The shot of Oma Tres establishes that humans can live past 80 in the Star Wars universe! 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I just want a LEGO minifig.

Paging @Marian Schedenig.

On 12/24/2019 at 3:28 AM, Jay said:

Nobody thought it was filmed in London. Of course it was filmed in LA. We just don't know if they built a set in LA or just greenscreened him into an existing set. 

Wasn't it a bluescreen?

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

I guess technically the scene references his 52nd nomination as well

"I have an idea: we'll have John Williams cameo in the film, we'll reference all 51 of his previous Academy Award nominations, and then we'll have none of his actual music play in the scene." 

I remember hearing this as a rumor after my first viewing, but I couldn't see any on my second or third because I was so focused on getting a discreet photo.  Hook confirmed!

Oma Tres.jpg

Hmm, no, that happened simultaneously in 1978 and 1983.

6 minutes ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Best Score win of John Williams for having composed the greatest film score of all time the previous year.

• 1 month later...

amazon prime ;-)

looks like Maestro was having fun

Having now seen this feature, this footage (from the Oma Tres sequence) does not appear in it. From where is it taken?

[Edit: Ah, I see it's taken from a different documentary]