John Williams cameo in The Rise of Skywalker

Fabulin

18 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

That clip was going well until it descended into the usual 'John Williams is perfect' fawning.:)

Yes, always make me cringe.

Other than that, great clip. Thanks for sharing!

6 hours ago, p0llux said:

Thanks so much for sharing this. Do we know if this is from "The Maestro's Finale" short or is it taken from the longer "Skywalker Legacy" documentary? 

17 minutes ago, APBez said:

Thanks so much for sharing this. Do we know if this is from "The Maestro's Finale" short or is it taken from the longer "Skywalker Legacy" documentary? 

This is NOT in the "Maestro's Finale" short, for whatever reason. So it is only from the longer documentary.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

This is NOT in the "Maestro's Finale" short, for whatever reason. So it is only from the longer documentary.

Thanks. Still waiting patiently to see both.

My favorite part is when they're adjusting the big apparatus on John's head.

Abrams: This is ridiculous!

Williams: This is great!!!

Abrams: ahahahah

K.Kennedy: hehehee

The guy at 4:20...

It's Aurebesh, not Auberesh.

THIS IS WHY STAR WARS IS IN THE STATE THAT IT IS IN

(/s)

So how many of the 51 can we identify if they didn't bother to do so or show them properly? There's Snowy from Tintin and the medical droid from ESB.

I would have loved to see what they made to represent VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, GOODBYE MR. CHIPS, THE REIVERS, IMAGES, CINDERELLA LIBERTY, YES, GIORGIO, THE RIVER, THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, SLEEPERS and so on and so forth -- the earlier or lesser known stuff. The more famous titles, I'm less interested in. Hopefully, it will be revealed one day. Glad they at least showed a pipe(?) to represent TOM SAWYER. More of that, please!

50 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I can't figure out what these are but I feel like they should be obvious and I'm just being dumb. 

The last one is probebly the night vision goggles from Jurassic Park 

Maybe the second one is the dog from Accidental Tourist

MV5BM2I1Y2NiNjEtODZjZC00OTRiLWI0NTUtMjRm

My first thought with that helmet was Tom Hanks in The Terminal :lol: but then I remembered that wasn’t nominated 

the-terminal-movie-still-tom-hanks_17497

Maybe there’s something like that in Towering Inferno, idk

3 minutes ago, Smaug the iron said:

The last one is probebly the night vision goggles from Jurassic Park 

Wasn't Oscar nominated though. Unless they just couldn’t stand to leave it out.

It’s not really close to that anyway

goggles1.jpg

Absolutely, thx! Well spotted!

Surely, we should be able to crack at the least the yellow-eyed 'alien' thingie? Could it be the advanced robots in A.I.? The aliens at the end of CE3K?

7 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I can only make out 16. There's...

8/9. Dog tags and chains for Saving Private Ryan and Amistad respectively. 

dog tags.PNG

Dog tags and the metal beach barriers ("Czech hedgehogs") for Saving Private Ryan.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

Surely, we should be able to crack at the least the yellow-eyed 'alien' thingie? Could it be the advanced robots in A.I.? The aliens at the end of CE3K?

Jawa from the original Star Wars?

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's criminal that they only allowed 3 seconds for this scene. So much detail lost! But it's in line with the philosophy of the film, a series of rapid-fire references that swoosh past you.

Isn't that with all films these days?

Plenty cool stuff in there that you barely get the chance to take in.

Was like that in the third Pirates of the Caribbean too.

I assume they want something more striking than a Jawa to represent the first STAR WARS, especially since the film is SET in the STAR WARS universe. But hey, could be it.

They literally just put in TLJ's iron for Home Alone and a bunch of yellow cylinders for the barrels from Jaws. The microphone-mouthed medical droid is not what people first think of when they think of ESB either.

The lampshades look like grenades.  Since we have Saving Private Ryan covered, perhaps War Horse?

22 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I wonder what the object for Sleepers was...

Maybe a football somewhere?

A few more...

Spoiler

Axe from The Patriot in the upper right corner (but what is the object above and slightly to the left of it?)

00364_edit.png

Violin for Schindler's List at the far right edge of the view?

00404_edit.png

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

What is it that makes you think of JFK there, thx? I can't quite make out what you've circled.

They appear to be bullets from a rifle, enlarged.  Not the Poseidon Adventure ship behind them.

image.png

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

That's dark!

Agreed, but stretching on many of these.

Like the ashtray looking object possibly representing Yes, Giorgio (Pavarotti smoked cigars but not sure his character did so in the film).

10 minutes ago, thx99 said:

Agreed, but stretching on many of these.

Like the ashtray looking object possibly representing Yes, Giorgio (Pavarotti smoked cigars but not sure his character did so in the film).

I mean if we're making dark stretches who says that ashtray can't represent Schindler's List? 

22 hours ago, p0llux said:

My favorite part is when they're adjusting the big apparatus on John's head.

Abrams: This is ridiculous!

Williams: This is great!!!

Abrams: ahahahah

K.Kennedy: hehehee

I heard JW saying "It's fake!" which to me is even funnier.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

a bunch of yellow cylinders for the barrels from Jaws.

Admit it: you just wanted the naked woman in the scene.  

7 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

They put more effort in this 3 second cameo than the entire trilogy.

Not likely though.

Pretty sure they did put plenty of effort into all of it.

They sure as hell put effort into making that source music as un-JW-like and bland as possible instead of having him write stuff he clearly enjoys writing (see Canto Bight for a recent example), but for himself this time.

I don't understand how he wrote 4 hours of music but didn't end up doing the source music. What gives? He wrote like 4 separate source pieces for Last Jedi. 

I think with Canto Bight, maybe it’s that it’s more of a hybrid sequence where the source is acting a lot like score. Hard to say how much of that is down to the filmmaking and how much is Williams writing listenable music, it’s very present in the mix as well. The JJ stuff functions more as background noise.

Although Williams did do the bagpipe stuff in the Last Jedi deleted scene, right? The festival in Rise is similar to that. It does make me think JJ just wanted to do it himself. 

Well we know he specifically turned down JJ's request to do source music on TFA because he was so busy with rewrites, but it strikes me as pure vanity that JJ repeated the same trick for TROS (along with shoving all his besties into the film in utterly pointless roles).

You find it arrogant that he asked a good friend of his to write one short piece of source music? Seems a bit extreme. Also every director on earth brings in their friends to be in their films, typically is background roles that need to be filled by random people anyway. JJ isn't some ego-driven maniac, he's just a typical director doing his job and having fun. What's so bad about that?