Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga 31/03/2020 - incl "The Maestro’s Finale" digital only!

starwarssaga4k.jpg

All right, we’ll have more to report tomorrow on The Bits, but I wanted to jump in here quickly this evening with word from retail sources that Disney will release Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga as a 9-film, 27-disc 4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray box set on 3/31/2020.

Here’s the thing: We know for sure that Best Buy will have an exclusive SKU (here’s a link to a Best Buy Canada listing for the title). What we don’t know yet is if the entire box set is Best Buy exclusive, or if Best Buy will just have exclusive packaging. But that obviously means Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker will street on Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K Ultra HD on 3/31/2020 as well.

This set does not appear to include Solo: A Star Wars Story (which is already available on 4K), nor will it include Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, so Rogue One will likely be available on 4K separately that same day.

We suspect that this box set is a Best Buy exclusive, and that all of the individual films will be available separately (and more widely) on 4K/BD combo as well.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/star-wars-the-skywalker-saga-english-only-at-best-buy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-combo/M2231769

(This listing now appears to have been deleted)

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/121719-2000

Update 19 February 2020: 

Specs released for ROS:

https://www.slashfilm.com/rise-of-skywalker-blu-ray/

Bonus features include:
  • The Skywalker Legacy – The story lives forever in this feature-length documentary that charts the making of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.
  • Pasaana Pursuit: Creating the Speeder Chase – Dive into the making of the movie’s epic landspeeder chase and discover how this spectacular sequence was brought to the screen.
  • Aliens in the Desert – See what it took to create the Pasaana desert scenes, from the sheer scale and complexity of the shoot to its colorful details.
  • D-O: Key to the Past – Explore the ship that connects Rey to the mystery of her missing parents and get to know the galaxy’s newest, irresistible droid.
  • Warwick & Son – Warwick Davis, who played Wicket in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, dons the Ewok costume once more; this time joined by his son Harrison.
  • Cast of Creatures – The team behind the film’s memorable creatures reveal the puppetry, makeup, prosthetics and digital magic that bring them to life!

• Digital Exclusive:
  • The Maestro’s Finale – Composer John Williams reflects on his body of work for the Star Wars saga and shares insights on scoring Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

21 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Well, if they included the original trilogy, it would be big news noone would like to hide.

Well, this isn't a press release.  Best Buy accidentally put a page up for a product coming out in over 4 months.

I doubt there will be an original version included, though - especially given JJ Abrams' recent statements (that he had to review the online despecialized editions to see the original versions when making TROS).

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

They did it: The Skywalker Saga.

It's the beginning of the end.

:o

Eh, I just saw a “The Complete Saga” blu-ray set on the shelf at Best Buy. RotJ wasn’t the end, RotS wasn’t the end, and this won’t be, either.

Just now, Pellaeon said:

Eh, I just saw a “The Complete Saga” blu-ray set on the shelf at Best Buy. RotJ wasn’t the end, RotS wasn’t the end, and this won’t be, either.

yeah, there’ll be an episode X at some point. 

When Star Wars is available on 4K I will buy it.  I figure I will be dead before that happens.

What if the unaltered OT is exclusive to this box set and we’re forced to pay for the garbage disney trilogy (and the prequels for that matter) just to get the OOT?

Imagine a fully restored Star Wars from 1977. No film subtitle or number. Han shoots first. No horrible Jabba the Hut effects. Colors fully restored but to the same look as 1977. The print is pristine. Not a hint of CGI. No dewbacks. I've got $34.95 ready to spend. 

Sadly not likely to happen. 

I can hear Obi-wan, the real one not the poser. "This is not the print you are looking for.".

#metoo 

At this point I’d even wish for the 97 version, which I remember as having good color timing, and didn’t have MacKlunkey, Hayden, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!, etc.

1 hour ago, Diego said:

At this point I’d even wish for the 97 version, which I remember as having good color timing, and didn’t have MacKlunkey, Hayden, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!, etc.

With newly enhanced visual effects, THX and digital sound and a few new surprises.

11 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Such negativity. Why did I even bother posting this?

Lol Who knows, mate. Can't ever satisfy everyone. I will say that I guarantee there will be a second full box set with some other extras in another year or so. Remember when TFA came out? There was another edition the very next year that had even more content.

I might buy it. I already own the OT though and have bought the new ones individually...So there's not a TON of incentive for me, personally. But it is cool.

3 hours ago, rough cut said:

$330 is over $36 per movie...

It's $330 in Canadian money, so about $250 in the US. So about $25 per film, plus a bit extra for the packaging, booklet, etc.

I'd considering buying this if it has significant exclusive content. If it's just the same content as the single-film sets, I'd just get those over the course of a few months.

18 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'd considering buying this if it has significant exclusive content. If it's just the same content as the single-film sets, I'd just get those over the course of a few months.

Well if it is 3 discs per movie it could possibly mean 1 bonus disc per film. That's way more than this franchise has ever had on disc. 

2 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I might buy it. I already own the OT though and have bought the new ones individually...So there's not a TON of incentive for me, personally. But it is cool.

But you don't own them in UHD 4K resolution though, or with Dolby Atmos and HDR.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It's $330 in Canadian money, so about $250 in the US. So about $25 per film, plus a bit extra for the packaging, booklet, etc.

Still, would I shell out $US 75 for a box of the OT?

Not even.

1 hour ago, SyncMan said:

Maybe among the special features is the documentary, Empire of Dreams, from the 2004 DVD set. It was never carried over into the Blu Ray set.

It's on Disney Plus!

UPDATE:

However… we DO have a little more detail for you about the recently revealed Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga 4K/Blu-ray box set that’s now known to be coming on 3/31/2020.

Not only will it include all 9 of the “Skywalker” films on 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray Disc, each film will include a bonus disc of extras (for a total of 27 discs). It’s reasonable to assume that virtually everything that’s ever been released previously for each of these films in terms of special features is fair game for inclusion on these bonus discs and it’s possible there may be new features too. But of course we won’t know for sure until this set is officially announced.

One thing is likely however: This set will probably NOT include the original unaltered versions of the classic films. Director JJ Abrams was recently interviewed during the press junkets for the new film and revealed that he attempted to get Lucasfilm to release them but they declined. Disney could have a handshake deal with George Lucas not to do so. It is, at least, good to know that Abrams tried to get it to happen.

In any case, we know that Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga in deluxe packaging is going to be a Best Buy exclusive release—that’s the packaging we showed you yesterday. We also now know that there will be a wide release of The Skywalker Saga on Blu-ray and DVD (18 discs each) in the UK based on Amazon.co.uk and Zavvi retail leaks.

What we don’t know yet is: Will there be a regular 4K/Blu-ray box set version in wide release in the US, or will Best Buy have the box set exclusively and all the films will be available as 4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray singles, as was the case with the MCU Infinity Saga titles.

If I had to guess though, my guess would be that there will be exclusive and wide release versions of the box set, just with different packaging, and that the films will be available as singles too. And I would be very surprised if the bonus discs are exclusive to the box set. But again, we won’t know until either the studio officially announces the release, or retailers here in the States begin to leak more details.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/121919-0930