Star Wars End Credits Rankings

Bellosh

Well, it's here, we finally have Episode 9's OST, and that also means we have (for the time being) our final end credits/finale from Star Wars.

Rank away:

1. The Rebel Fleet/End Title

2. The Throne Room/End Title

3. Augie's Great Municipal Band and End Credits

4. A New Hope and End Credits

5. The Jedi Steps / Finale

6. Victory Celebration/End Title

7. Finale (TROS)

8. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale

9. Finale (TLJ)

1. The Jedi Steps / Finale
  2. The Rebel Fleet/End Title
  3. The Throne Room/End Title
  4. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale
  5. Finale (TROS)
  6. Finale (TLJ)
  7. Yub Nub/End Title
  8. A New Hope and End Credits
  9. Augie's Great Municipal Band and End Credits

I didn't want to create a poll, because I feel like people just vote and don't contribute.  I want someone to take the time to type it all out.

But you have Augie's last, and it's 3rd for me, so it's cool to see where people rank these.

1. The Throne Room/End Title (Throne Room is hard to suprass with that bold version of the force theme)
  2. The Rebel Fleet/End Title (great themes and great transitions)
  3. Jedi Steps / Finale
  4. A New Hope and End Credits
  5. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale
  6. Augie's Great Municipal Band and End Credits (cut and paste started here, not impressed with Augie’s Band with an awkward transition to the end credits, nor by the full reprise of Duel of the Fates, but Anakin’s theme and the somber ending compensates)
  7. Yub Nub/End Title
  8. Finale (TLJ) 
  9. Finale (TROS) good score but very disappointing finale. Another ending with the force theme, jarring transitions, cut and paste all over the place.

1. Confrontation with Dooku and Finale (though it's a little biased because of the "Finale" cue--one of my absolute favorite cues)

2. The Jedi Steps / Finale

3. Victory Celebration / End Title

4. Augie's Great Municipal Band and End Credits

5. The Rebel Fleet / End Credits

6. Finale (TLJ) (this would be way higher if the music wasn't almost all tracked--Rey's theme is wonderful at the end, like in TFA's)

7. Finale (TROS) (I actually think the different themes sound pretty good)

8. A Home for the Twins / End Credits (The Throne Room is incredibly overused, and it never stuck with me very well anyway. It doesn't match the style of ROTS)

9. The Throne Room / End Title (again, because of The Throne Room)

1. Rebel Fleet/End Credits

2. The Jedi Steps/Finale

3. The Throne Room/End Title

4. Return of the Jedi End Credits (I'm much more partial to old Yub Nub since that's the way it was originally created over Victory Celebration)

5. Finale (TROS)

6. Finale (TLJ)

7. Augie's Great Municipal Band and End Credits

8. A New Hope/End Credits

9. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale

1. The Rebel Fleet/End Title

2. The Throne Room/End Title

3. The Jedi Steps / Finale

4. Victory Celebration/End Title

5. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale (Williams' intent)

6. Augie's Great Municipal Band and End Credits

7. Finale (TROS)

8. Finale (TLJ)

9. A New Hope and End Credits

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Jedi Steps and Finale (film version)
  2. Return of the JediEwok Celebration/Finale (album version)
  3. Star Wars: The Throne Room/End Title (concert version)
  4. The Empire Strikes BackFinale/End Credits
  5. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: Finale

Not really familiar with the rest.

4 hours ago, Jost1 said:

That's not to say TLJ or TROS are bad at all, they are both better than 99% of scores being written these days.

Well that's just it, isn't it?...that the 'worst' Star Wars end credits is better than 99% of any other end credit suites of other movies.  What a nice problem for JW fans to have.

1. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale

2. The Jedi Steps / Finale

3. The Rebel Fleet/End Title

4. Finale (TROS)

5. The Throne Room/End Title

6. Victory Celebration/End Title

7. Finale (TLJ)

8. A New Hope and End Credits

9. Augie's Great Municipal Band and End Credits

1. ESB - Seamless musical transitions. High quality filmmaking. 2 of the best themes in the saga. 
  2. ANH - The force theme in fanfare form. 
  3. TFA - Seamless musical transitions. Multiple new themes. Very original ending. 
  4. AOTC - My fave pre-end title music in the saga. 
  5. ROTJ - Charles Gerhard's orchestral version of Yub Nub is my fave. 
  6. TPM - Pretty basic end credits.
  7. TLJ - Weaker themes = weaker end credits. 
  8. ROTS - Recycled music
  9. TROS - Recycled music

Star Wars this is the best. Always has been FTR JW never wrote a score for A New Hope

The Empire Strikes Back

TFA

Return of the Jedi original. 

RoS

Return of the Jedi Victory 

TLJ

The prequels are the bottom 3 in any order.

On 12/22/2019 at 8:29 AM, publicist said:

ESB

SW ANH

TFA

...the rest i could frankly do without (in regards to what they add as autonomous pieces to the rest of the score/concert versions)

Similar opinion here, but I insert the finale + end credits of AOTC in the list of the worthy ones:

ESB

ANH

AOTC

TFA

4 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

1. Yub Nub

2. Orgy's Great Band thingy

3. Dracula and Finale

4. The Ep3 one

5. The first one

6. The second one

7. The new one

8. The newer one

9. The latest one

Do you think any of those end credits would benefit from Serj Tankian doing god awful cheesy lyrics in any of them? 

5 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Do you think any of those end credits would benefit from Serj Tankian doing god awful cheesy lyrics in any of them? 

Ohhhh no, there goes Exegol

Go, go, go Palpyyyyy!

1. The Empire Strikes Back - Best transitions of all the themes presented, the closest we've had to a Han and Leia concert arrangement for years (until now). The Imperial March statement still knocks me off my feet. 

2. A New Hope - That force theme fanfare always hits my nostalgia button, great arrangement and the best transition from the film to the credits. 

3. Return of the Jedi - My favourite blast of the main theme is in this version, LSO nailed it. 

4. The Force Awakens - Great collection of all the themes, good performance all round, love Jedi Steps.  

5. Attack of the Clones - I like the build up to the actual credits and the blending of Across the Stars with Anakin's Theme, however it's boring that it's just the concert version of Across the Stars, disappointing.  

6. The Last Jedi - A few new ideas in the credits but overall disappointing and doesn't sound as cohesive as the others. 

7. The Rise of Skywalker - The collection of themes is good, but not as strong as others. Love the new recording of the Imperial March, but very disappointed in the Rey material, just a lift from Rey's Theme. 

8. The Phantom Menace & Revenge of the Sith - Both are disappointing, just the same material that is in the OST's. Great performances from the LSO doing the A New Hope material but overall material selection was boring and predictable. 

I'm not going to be very original. I have my top 3 very clear:

1. The Jedi Steps / Finale from TFA

2. The Rebel Fleet / End Title from ESB

3. The Throne Room / End Title from ANH

Now, the rest:

4. Ewok Celebration and Finale from ROTJ (I prefer the 1983 version)

5. Finale from TROS

6. Finale from TLJ

7. Augie's Great Municipal Band and End Credits from TPM

8. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale from AOTC

9. A New Hope and End Credits from ROTS

8 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Isn't March of the Resistance tracked into Jedi Steps and Finale though?

There is an abbreviated version of the March of the Resistance in the Finale as written, you can hear this on the OST and the concert recordings. But the film version does have the whole March of the Resistance tracked in, as you can hear on the FYC.

7 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I don't know if it's just a guilty pleasure, but I enjoy the TROS end credits a lot more than it seems most others here do. Some of it feels almost like an "encores" track, taken from a JW concert. Which makes sense, considering this is his last one: a sensible way to close out the saga, imo. I thought it was actually nice to get (truncated) performances of "The Imperial March" and the main theme.

It has that certain charm to it, doesn't it?  It was the first thought that came to my head too when hearing it.  More like a tighter version of a 'concert-like' performance.

The Imperial March, something I've heard thousands of times, feels so fresh and perfect in it.  The percussion seems a little faster in it, making me love it even more.  And the transition into it is nothing short of amazing.

I think one other nice thing about the inclusion of these "legacy" themes, is that we finally have record of the sequel trilogy orchestra doing them. That's one reason it's also been so great to hear them playing excerpts of "Princess Leia's Theme", "Yoda's Theme" and "Luke and Leia" in these scores; don't get me wrong, I love the LSO, and even prefer them in certain aspects—but it is still cool to get these classic themes played in the "sequel sound", as well. Helps reaffirm that this is all a shared musical universe.

TROS Finale is growing on me. A New Home and Finale taken together as one piece is pretty nice. In the end credits itself, most of the transitions work quite well. I really like how Anthem of Evil is presented mainly on strings as a really effective set up for the very punchy brass and percussion heavy Imperial March. The Rey's Theme rendition is good but not new and not a revelation. I really like how The Rise of Skywalker themes are split and spaced apart, similar to how TLJ handled The Rebellion is Reborn in the end credits. It works well here as the final, grand statement of new music before going into the Main Titles encore. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did some editing and put together an end credits medley that I would prefer over the current one. I don't know if it's better, but my main goal was to replace the Imperial March and the Main Title music while still preserving the big operatic ending. At the same time also showcasing @heidl's fantastic covers.