Star Wars End Credits Rankings

Bellosh

1 hour ago, p0llux said:

I did some editing and put together an end credits medley that I would prefer over the current one. I don't know if it's better, but my main goal was to replace the Imperial March and the Main Title music while still preserving the big operatic ending. At the same time also showcasing @heidl's fantastic covers.

The transitions from Anthem of Evil to The Speeder Chase & The Rise of Skywalker to the Main Theme are really nice. 

1. The Rebel Fleet/End Title

2. The Throne Room/End Title

3. The Jedi Steps / Finale

4. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale

5. Victory Celebration/End Title

6. Finale (TROS)

7. Finale (TLJ)

8. A New Hope and End Credits

9. Augie's Great Municipal Band and End Credits

Karol

On 12/27/2019 at 1:39 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Really? You dislike Across the Stars?

I dislike it. Its hokum. Iit music ti two characters that aren't worth a damn

1. The Jedi Steps and Finale (TFA)

2. The Throne Room & Finale (ANH)

3. The Rebel Fleet/End Title (ESB)

4. Confrontation with Dooku and Finale (AOTC)

5. Ewok Celebration & Finale (ROTJ)

6. Augie's Municipal Band & End Title (TPM)

7. A New Hope & End Credits (ROTS)

8. Little Boy & Finale (TLJ)

9. Finale (TROS)

1. Throne Room and Finale

2. The Jedi Steps and Finale

3. Rebel Fleet / End Title

4. Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale

5. Victory Celebration / End Title

6. Finale (TLJ)

7. Augie's Great Municipal Band / End Credits

8. Finale (TROS)

9. A New Hope and End Credits

I hate to say it but I think pretty much anyone who doesn't put SW77 first is flat out wrong. One must consider that, when we judge the original film's end credits suite we are actually judging 100% of it, unlike the 8 other end credits suites where the first 30 seconds or so is always just a lift from SW. (not to mention the three suites that lift the end as well). That blast of the end credits, Luke's theme, Rebel fanfare, and rolling thunder combo is the backbone of every episodes' end credits suite and makes the original film absolutely undefeated in this regard.

7 hours ago, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

6. TLJ - not great, but not nearly as poor as people make it out to be.

Are you counting the album versions for these? I find the film/FYC version of the TLJ end credits to be considerably better, especially losing that brief Yoda’s theme statement that really disrupts the overall flow.

25 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Are you counting the album versions for these? I find the film/FYC version of the TLJ end credits to be considerably better, especially losing that brief Yoda’s theme statement that really disrupts the overall flow.

The FYC version just tracks music from the film score. The OST version features arrangements Williams recorded specifically for the credits (other than Holdo's Resolve). 

For that reason, I prefer the OST version because at least Williams made slightly different arrangements rather than track music in (like Mischief Managed and the prequels). 

8 hours ago, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

2. AOTC - Finale (final version) -- spectacular 

What do you mean with final version?

8 hours ago, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

3. TFA - a thrilling recap of the score

Especially the slightly extended version on the Lockhart album, with the few extra bars of Poe's theme!

30 minutes ago, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

Why, as opposed to this alternate, of course :)

We so, so desperately need someone to remake this with better samples. :heart:#HolyGrails2020

1 hour ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

We so, so desperately need someone to remake this with better samples. :heart:#HolyGrails2020

Is it known if this version was actually recorded at the sessions, or only the revision?

58 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Is it known if this version was actually recorded at the sessions, or only the revision?

I definitely remember hearing real orchestral snatches of the ending before it transitions into ATS (~4:40) floating around at some point, probably from a DVD menu or Video Game or some such. So pretty sure it was recorded. But someone else can probably confirm.

7 hours ago, Falstaft (hiatus til TROS) said:

I definitely remember hearing real orchestral snatches of the ending before it transitions into ATS (~4:40) floating around at some point, probably from a DVD menu or Video Game or some such. So pretty sure it was recorded. But someone else can probably confirm.

Yes, it's featured briefly in the official Attack of the Clones music video here at 0:51

On 1/11/2020 at 9:02 PM, p0llux said:

I did some editing and put together an end credits medley that I would prefer over the current one. I don't know if it's better, but my main goal was to replace the Imperial March and the Main Title music while still preserving the big operatic ending. At the same time also showcasing @heidl's fantastic covers.

Interesting edit.  And just for comparisons sake, here's what I did back in December.  I too included Speeder Bike Chase, but I also wanted to extend the playing of the Anthem of Evil material before the Speeder music. I also cut down the Speeder music... I didn't want to play the entire piece in the credits.  I also incorporated the Cincinnati Pops finale of "The Jedi Steps and Finale" to end the piece credits with Rey's theme but with a more triumphant conclusion without going to the OT trilogy well.

-Erik-

PS - End Credit Ranking (Skywalker Saga)

1. Empire

2. The Force Awakens

3. Star Wars

4. Jedi

5. The Phantom Menace

6. Attack of the Clones

tied for the absolute worst. The Rise of Skywalker, The Last Jedi, & Revenge of the Sith

2 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

Interesting edit.  And just for comparisons sake, here's what I did back in December.  I too included Speeder Bike Chase, but I also wanted to extend the playing of the Anthem of Evil material before the Speeder music. I also cut down the Speeder music... I didn't want to play the entire piece in the credits.  I also incorporated the Cincinnati Pops finale of "The Jedi Steps and Finale" to end the piece credits with Rey's theme but with a more triumphant conclusion without going to the OT trilogy well.

Oh good work. I also didn't want to play the entirety of Speeder chase, but I couldn't find a good place to end it. I considered The Jedi Steps finale too since it was in the right key near the end of the Victory theme, but I couldn't connect it with the main title ending. So I just kept things simple. I'm glad you found the solution to BOTH of my problems. lol.

On 1/13/2020 at 6:35 PM, DominicCobb said:

I hate to say it but I think pretty much anyone who doesn't put SW77 first is flat out wrong. One must consider that, when we judge the original film's end credits suite we are actually judging 100% of it, unlike the 8 other end credits suites where the first 30 seconds or so is always just a lift from SW. (not to mention the three suites that lift the end as well). That blast of the end credits, Luke's theme, Rebel fanfare, and rolling thunder combo is the backbone of every episodes' end credits suite and makes the original film absolutely undefeated in this regard.

Not necessarily; that's a bit of a flawed argument as the orchestration in that one is different from all the others. It was tweaked for TESB, and all subsequent ones more or less follow suit—I prefer the trombones playing the initial main theme, rather than the horns (and I say this even as a French horn player). The orchestration for the beginning of ANH's end credits actually automatically bumps it down a bit on the list, for me... I much prefer the revised version.

6 hours ago, Datameister said:

In the broad strokes, this is a totally valid point...but I will point out that Williams rewrote the beginning of the credits for Empire - everything up till the Rebel fanfare. It's still the same idea, but he changed the key signature, he cut off the opening trumpet fanfare rather than letting it continue to the downbeat of Luke's theme, he gave the melody of Luke's theme to the trombones (and woodwinds) instead of the horns (and woodwinds), and he had to reconfigure the trumpet line that ascends up into the Rebel fanfare, which is still in its original key. This new version was retained for every film that followed. The changes are significant enough to be factors in this conversation, as are the differences in the performances and recording/mixing for each film.

That being said, ANH is edging it out over ESB for me at the moment, though they're both extraordinary.

Yeah, exactly.^ Sorry, hadn't read your comment when I wrote mine, but I agree 100%. The fact that ANH's orchestration is what it is, is one reason why it's not listed first for me...